Presenting Curtis Bonk

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I'm still in Cairo. Just got back from Alexandria actually. I'm
      expecting Bobbi to fly in shortly.

      I've been working on my plenary. I've got the slides up and a
      beginning of a bibliography. It's linked from the top of
      http://www.vancestevens.com/ I think(I hope).

      Curtis Bonk has graciously agreed to join us on Feb 8 Sunday noon
      GMT. He's a special cybercat. He pointed me here ...

      Curt's site
      http://www.ptsc.k12.in.us/ice/Keynotes/Bonk.htm

      I'll check back from Dahab on the Red Sea soon.

      Vance
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
        At 06:49 AM 1/29/2004, you wrote:
        >Hi everyone,
        >
        >I'm still in Cairo. Just got back from Alexandria actually. I'm
        >expecting Bobbi to fly in shortly.
        >
        >I've been working on my plenary.

        Another one? For another event in Cairo?

        >I'll check back from Dahab on the Red Sea soon.

        Wow - this took me back. I spent a lot of time at Dahab years ago when it
        was under Israeli control. Many wonderful nights living in tents by the sea
        on the edge of the desert. People writing books and painting pictures on
        lecterns placed on the sand. One of the nicest times I ever had. A very
        special memory.

        - Michael.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2004
          Michael et al,

          I first visited Sharm El Sheikh, what was then called Ophira, when
          it was under Israeli control in the mid 70s. Naama bay was nothing
          but a set of geodesic structures which were too expensive for Bobbi
          and I so we stayed in a cave a kilometer down the coast. I first
          visited Dahab about ten years ago and thought it was so laid back I
          have wanted to return ever since. Now that I'm back well, let's say
          those days are gone for good it seems. The town is about ten times
          the size it was a decade ago and there's an attractive boardwalk
          where the beach is/was. No more bedouin rugs in the sand. I paved
          road runs through it. It is wall to wall structure.

          Just arrived, Will dive tomorrow,

          Vance

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coghlan
          <michaelc@c...> wrote:

          > >I'll check back from Dahab on the Red Sea soon.
          >
          > Wow - this took me back. I spent a lot of time at Dahab years ago
          when it
          > was under Israeli control. Many wonderful nights living in tents
          by the sea
          > on the edge of the desert. People writing books and painting
          pictures on
          > lecterns placed on the sand. One of the nicest times I ever had. A
          very
          > special memory.
          >
          > - Michael.
        • Susanne Nyrop
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2004
            Hello Vance,

            our guest on next Sunday is really a scoop! That very special Cyber-cat, dr.
            Curt Bonk is really a charismatic and inspiring leader of online learning;
            like yourself I've met him live, on location, face to face, with the Global
            Educators' Network at the Telelearning conference in Toronto 2000 and was
            amazed by his dynamic, speed talking but well considered and impressive
            presentation of his visionary but realistic ideas - let me cut a quote a
            passage from his page:

            " teachers are beginning to realize what types of pedagogical activities
            (e.g., debates, mentoring, role playing, brainstorming, problem-based
            learning, etc.) foster learner interaction, collaboration, and excitement
            for learning when using various educational technologies. Unfortunately,
            these new technological and pedagogical opportunities are appearing at the
            same time that funding sources are being depleted or erased entirely. As
            this perfect e-storm surrounds us, we must think carefully about the speed
            and direction in which we sail our ships, especially when entering uncharted
            territories. "
            http://www.ptsc.k12.in.us/ice/Keynotes/Bonk.htm

            I'll run over to the Becoming a Webhead workshop and share the good news;
            several of them will join us for our Sunday chats, also today - in less
            that one hour.