Making Web Pages

  • Pete MacKichan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 6:52 AM
      Hi All,

      A few ideas about making web pages.

      One permanent debate seems to be whether one should use a WYSIWYG HTML
      editor (such as Front Page, Hot Metal, Netscape Composer or whatever) or to
      learn HTML and use a plain text editor (Notepad).

      The advantage of using an HTML editor is that you don't need to understand
      anything about HTML in order to make a web page. You just choose the things
      you want to have on your web page and the programme will do the rest. This
      gets you up and running quickly.

      The downside to this approach is that sooner or later you will need to
      learn some html. You will probably need it to get your navigation links
      sorted out, or if you want to include a text chat or wimba board. There are
      also problems with the kind of code that most of these programmes produce.
      Different HTML editors seem to adopt different standards when it comes to
      writing html code. This can have some unwanted effects when your page is
      viewed in different browsers, and is likely to cause more problems in the
      most recent browsers (Netscape 6.x and IE 6). If you want to see how
      'correct' your web page is you can have it checked with an on-line
      validator http://validator.w3.org/

      Some people suggest that the best approach is to start by learning the
      basics of html and coding in a text editor, and then start using an html
      editor to take out some of the repetetive work. If this is a route that
      appeal then there is an excellent tutorial at
      http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/. There are versions available in
      spanish and italian.

      One final plug, if you do need to mess around with web pages in a text
      editor, you may find that Windows Notepad is a bit limited - for example
      you can only have one page open at a time. I have found that NoteTab
      http://www.notetab.com/ is extremely useful. It lets you open lots of pages
      at once and you can do a find and replace in all the open documents. So if
      you have a website with 72 pages and you change your e-mail address you can
      open all the pages and get the program to replace your old e-mail with your
      new e-mail. Using windows notepad that would take several hours; With
      NoteTab less than 5 minutes.

      HTH
      Pete
    • Vitali Ashkinazi
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7 4:09 AM
        Dear All!

        There are a lot of people (teachers) now making their own Web Pages. That's wonderful and it should be so, but...

        It seems to me that there should be some project started for producing 'the best, the ideal :)?' site with classified links with people (or teams) working on them from time to time at least.
        I imagine something with different lists or database(s) concerning different aspects:

        Grammar-Vocabulary;
        listening, reading-writing... and rithmetics
        ESP-EAP-EGP...
        Engineers - Doctors - Business people...
        elementary - pre-intermediate- ..-advanced...
        Learning strategies - Motivation...
        Learning-Teaching- Acquisition...
        Internetworking-Journals-Discussion groups (list)...
        CALL - Web-design etc...

        Hope it makes sense!

        Maybe here are the people to do this!? Or this teachers' paradise does exist?

        There are good and useful places for sure.
        There is a nice web-site for translators www.proZ.com Have a look!
        Probably it gives a model for something interesting.

        Vitali Ashkinazi
        http://ashvital.freeservers.com
        http://englisp.8m.com
        http://espworld.8m.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7 10:30 AM
          Pete,

          Thanks for your frequent and always insightful contributions. I'm placing this
          one here:

          http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/week5.htm#mywebpage
          http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/week5.htm#mywebpage

          As Dafne suggests, we're compiling a great web tome,

          Vance

          p.s. I've been using TextPad <http://www.textpad.com/> in much the same way as
          you use NoteTab

          I downloaded NoteTab and I'll check it out,