Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 639

  • Dot MacKenzie
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2003
      Eman and I have compiled a very short list of kids' links for our students' brothers and sisters, and for interested teachers. It can be accessed in http://kuco2.kuniv.edu.kw/~dotmack/. I have also compiled a list of links for some of the subjects taught in the various faculties in Kuwait University.

      We have discovered a whole studio set up for distance learning on our campus in Kuwait University, so we are rather excited.

      In reply to a question posed on the list a while ago, I am not Kuwaiti, but a British subject working in Kuwait. I have been here for 10 years, and am lucky to have been given great opportunities to develop my skills and knowledge as a teacher. Buthaina is now leading the way to new discoveries in CMC.

      On-line presentations fit very well with our work for the 162 students, as they have to give presentations on a scientific topic at the end of their 162 course. They must be commended for being able to give 10 minute presentations in English - a language that is very different from Arabic. I hope to get one or two of my male students to take part too, but they may not, as they have not practised in the way that Buthaina's students have.

      Dot

      evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 9 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Go Go eslhome.com! (124 Votes)
      From: "buthaina_3"
      2. Re: Digest Number 637
      From: Arlyn Freed
      3. Announcing & Inviting to My Students First Live WebCast Project
      From: "buthaina_3"
      4. Re: Buth's Live WebCast Project on Dec 27 & 28
      From: "Susanne Nyrop"
      5. Re: Announcing & Inviting to My Students First Live WebCast Project
      From: "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
      6. Re: article about Blackboard
      From: "Aiden Yeh"
      7. Re: Announcing & Inviting to My Students First Live WebCast Project
      From: "Ismail Fayed"
      8. Re: Announcing & Inviting to My Students First Live WebCast Project
      From: manawipa bunkhum
      9. Voice chat room for Webheads at Learning Times
      From: "Vance Stevens"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:36:05 -0000
      From: "buthaina_3"
      Subject: Go Go eslhome.com! (124 Votes)

      Arlyn,
      eslhome.com has received a total of 124 votes
      and is a Level One 2003-2004 Diamond Web Award Winner.

      Best wishes,
      Buth

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:14:06 -0800 (PST)
      From: Arlyn Freed
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 637

      Michael,
      I don't know if your daughter is still looking for
      kid's links but I found this page of bookmarks that
      has an ESL section but also has links to lots of kids
      materials that could be adapted to an ESL situation.

      All the best,
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      http://photos.yahoo.com/

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:35:40 -0000
      From: "buthaina_3"
      Subject: Announcing & Inviting to My Students First Live WebCast Project

      Dear Webheads,

      I would like some volunteers to participate in the WebCast
      activities at Alado, created for my EfS 162 science class, during
      which 10 of my students are going to web cast six different
      presentations as their final project.

      The six presentations are to be held on two consecutive days.
      Duration of each group or individual presentation will be 10
      minutes, including interaction and discussion with the audience.

      Therefore, I would be very appreciative if ,at least, four (4)
      Webheads volunteer, two (2) to be present on each day and are
      welcome to ask or comment on a presentation.

      Two English instructors from the English Language Unit where I work
      at the College of Science, Dot and Eman, are to participate as well.

      For more details on the project and topics to be presented by my
      students, please check out this URL:

      http://www.geocities.com/esl_efl_ku/wia_162finalproj.htm

      Please note that EfS 162 students presnetations run for two weeks,
      from December 27 to January 7, 2004. I have scheduled students
      online presentations on December 27 & 28. If these dates are
      inconvenient to any of you due to the holidays season, please let me
      know so that I can make another plan.

      Appreciate your help and cooperation.
      Buth

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:50:52 +0100
      From: "Susanne Nyrop"
      Subject: Re: Buth's Live WebCast Project on Dec 27 & 28

      Dear Buth,

      your live webcast project sounds like a nice post-Xmas occasion for an early
      morning chat to learn more about your work with . I'm ready and willing to
      do one or both sessions with you as active audience with your colleagues and
      science students.

      Let me know more when you have further details

      Yours, Sus

      Message: 5
      Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:09:13 -0000
      From: "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"

      Dear Buth,

      I enjoy these sessions with students and colleagues, and I'm available for
      one day, or both days, if necessary.

      Hope to hear about further details.

      Hugs,

      Teresa

      Message: 6
      Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 02:16:24 -0000
      From: "Aiden Yeh"
      Subject: Re: article about Blackboard

      Dear Tere,

      Thank you for the article. It looks like Blackboard is really doing
      well in the US.

      I have not used BB after the ETA presentation mainly because I have
      my Yahoo Groups which my students find easier to use. And since the
      BB site is a demo site, I don't feel comfortable with the whole set-
      up. Last week, Frank told me that they had upgraded Wimba for BB
      recently and that I should check it out. Indeed, I did. I went to my
      site and checked out the new Wimba tools. The graphics used are
      different, but the tools are basically the same. But the biggest
      disappointment of all was to find that all my students' voice files
      and even the webheads' voice files for the ETA conf. were all gone!
      I checked all the folders but they're nowhere to be found.

      I wrote Frank but I have not received any response from him.

      Anyways, many of my students' voice files are in CDs and diskettes;
      so I still have something to work on.

      So that's my unfortunate experience with BB- I guess, this is what I
      get from a free demo site.

      Aiden

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
      wrote:

      > Hi Webheaders!
      >
      > I think this article has a couple of curiosities that may interest
      some of you, esp. Aiden, who works with Blackboard:

      > "Blackboard Looks Likely to Go Public"
      > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33240-2003Dec3.html
      >
      > Have a nice weekend,
      >
      > Teresa

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 06:30:03 -0000
      From: "Ismail Fayed"

      Dear Buthaina,

      Congratulations for such an organized project and future
      presentation. You can count me in, but I need your update about the
      two days and will try to be online, it will be 11:00 here in KSA so
      I think there will be no problem for me unless there is a class at
      the same time.

      Good luck,
      Ismail.

      > Dear Webheads,
      >
      > I would like some volunteers to participate in the WebCast
      > activities at Alado, created for my EfS 162 science class, during
      > which 10 of my students are going to web cast six different
      > presentations as their final project.
      >
      > The six presentations are to be held on two consecutive days.
      > Duration of each group or individual presentation will be 10
      > minutes, including interaction and discussion with the audience.
      >
      > Therefore, I would be very appreciative if ,at least, four (4)
      > Webheads volunteer, two (2) to be present on each day and are
      > welcome to ask or comment on a presentation.
      >
      > Two English instructors from the English Language Unit where I
      work
      > at the College of Science, Dot and Eman, are to participate as
      well.

      > For more details on the project and topics to be presented by my
      > students, please check out this URL:
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/esl_efl_ku/wia_162finalproj.htm
      >
      > Please note that EfS 162 students presnetations run for two weeks,
      > from December 27 to January 7, 2004. I have scheduled students
      > online presentations on December 27 & 28. If these dates are
      > inconvenient to any of you due to the holidays season, please let
      me
      > know so that I can make another plan.
      >
      > Appreciate your help and cooperation.
      > Buth

      Message: 8
      Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 02:31:37 -0800 (PST)
      From: manawipa bunkhum

      hello, im mew for this group but interested in cmc for
      english language teaching.can anybody tell me how to
      start?
      mon
      --- buthaina_3 wrote:
      > Dear Webheads,
      >
      > I would like some volunteers to participate in the
      > WebCast
      > activities at Alado, created for my EfS 162 science
      > class, during
      > which 10 of my students are going to web cast six
      > different
      > presentations as their final project.
      >
      > The six presentations are to be held on two
      > consecutive days.
      > Duration of each group or individual presentation
      > will be 10
      > minutes, including interaction and discussion with
      > the audience.
      >
      > Therefore, I would be very appreciative if ,at
      > least, four (4)
      > Webheads volunteer, two (2) to be present on each
      > day and are
      > welcome to ask or comment on a presentation.
      >
      > Two English instructors from the English Language
      > Unit where I work
      > at the College of Science, Dot and Eman, are to
      > participate as well.
      >
      > For more details on the project and topics to be
      > presented by my
      > students, please check out this URL:

      http://www.geocities.com/esl_efl_ku/wia_162finalproj.htm

      > Please note that EfS 162 students presnetations run
      > for two weeks,
      > from December 27 to January 7, 2004. I have
      > scheduled students
      > online presentations on December 27 & 28. If these
      > dates are
      > inconvenient to any of you due to the holidays
      > season, please let me
      > know so that I can make another plan.
      >
      > Appreciate your help and cooperation.
      > Buth

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/

      Message: 9
      Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:51:45 -0000
      From: "Vance Stevens"
      Subject: Voice chat room for Webheads at Learning Times

      Hello everyone,

      This is to let you know that a Webheads voice chat room has been
      created for us at Learning Times. I made a Tiny URL for it:

      http://tinyurl.com/y3eh

      Its direct link is:
      http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=273662

      It is also available using the "Member Offices" link on the left side
      navigation of the http://www.LearningTimes.org community. We're the
      last listing, "Webheads - Virtual Office."

      It is free of charge to Webheads, of course and it provides 24/7
      access for small groups of 6-8 users, and access for up to 25 users
      on advanced notice. It is available to registered members of
      Learning Times (free) and non-members can be invited by the moderator.

      We'll be testing it at some time after noon GMT today, our usual
      Webheads Sunday meeting time.

      http://kuc02.kuniv.edu.kw/~dotmack/

      http://kuc02.kuniv.edu.kw/~kuoll/

      Kuwait University