Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Servers and Domain names

  • Dafne
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi Aiden and Arlyn,

      I only use free webhosts. One of them is Bravenet which is fairly good and with many added values. However, I have been using geocities because it is very easy to use.

      I have found two pages where they rate and review many free and paid services:

      http://www.ftpplanet.com/cgi/_listreview/listreview.pl?list_path=Web_free_hosting

      http://www.ftpplanet.com/cgi/_listreview/listreview.pl?list_path=Web_paid_hosting

      Hope this is helpful,

      Daf

      Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:
      Hi Aiden,

      I believe Dafne discovered a company when she got her
      Bravenet counter (I remember traveling to a link that
      handles Bravenet's stats and they offer server space
      at the same price as Netfirms but with better stats).
      Bravenet.com is also a company, can Dafne tell us
      more about them?

      The process itself is easy (if a little confusing at
      first depending on who you are dealing with). Once
      you get your domain name, you then choose a server
      space. If this is the same company I imagine the
      process is very simple; if not then you simply give
      some server access numbers to the Domain Name company
      and everything is set up.

      You upload your pages via an FTP software, such as
      CuteFTP (PC) or Fetch (Mac) or Dreamweaver (both). I
      love uploading files from within my Dreamweaver
      program -- it's as easy as dragging files from one
      window to another. For those of you using Front Page,
      there may be a built-in FTP as well (though I dislike
      FP as it discriminates against Macs and has WAY too
      much meta language -- hurts those who would like to
      learn HTML).

      Looking forward to everyone else's contribution on
      this subject, it was a good question Aiden!
      All the best,
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

    • Ismail Fayed
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Dear Aiden,

        The review of both services you refered to is very useful. Anyhow, I
        am using Netfirms for quite some time now, the free account with 25
        MG free web space and FTp upload. It is quite good for free accounts
        or students' projects of course except that part about web
        statistics.
        This is just a thought..
        Ismail.

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Arlyn Freed