Servers and Domain names

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
      Hi Aiden,

      I bought my Domain name from 'Go Daddy' and server
      space from 'Netfirms' because at that time Netfirms
      didn't offer both services. I now believe both
      companies offer both Domain names and server space for
      low rates. I chose Go Daddy and Netfirms on the
      suggestion of a member from another list serv, without
      doing any real research (and now have some regrets).

      I can only comment on what my experience has been.
      Buying my domain name from Go Daddy
      <http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp?e=com> was
      a fairly smooth process (credit card needed) and
      inexpensive (or less expensive than others). Looking
      at their site now, I believe they offer a full line of
      services from domain names, server space (w/email
      accts), traffic analysis (stats) and web design help.

      As for Netfirms, <http://www.netfirms.com/> they are
      very cheap ($60USD/year for basic service = 50MG, 5
      email accounts, some mediocre stats) but I've been
      dissatified and have just been too overwhelmed by the
      prospect of shifting to (and finding) a new server to
      do anything about it. Their server runs fairly
      smoothly, my dissatisfaction comes with what they can
      supply via web statistics. The stats can't be saved
      or downloaded and don't tell me exactly which pages
      are being viewed or which pages referred the viewer.

      If I wanted specific information such as the above, I
      had to pay an additional $60USD/yr to 123Stat
      <http://www.123stat.com/> They offer a free trial so
      you can get a general idea of the service, but you
      must insert their code into each of your pages for the
      service to work. After doing all that labor for the
      free trial, I was too lazy to change it and paid for
      the stats for a while. But, they still weren't
      specific enough.

      Just recently I found a free counter that tracks the
      number of vistors per page, according to the code I
      insert. I made the transition this week and am giving
      it a whirl (and hoping I don't have any pornographic
      popups). It says it is ad-free and it seems to be.
      If you check out my site and don't find any problems
      (there shouldn't be any ads anywhere) then it works
      and I can recomment <www.mywebutilities.com> for this
      service. It still doesn't supply the URLs of
      referring web pages or IPs of visitors, but it does
      help you to know which of your pages are most popular.
      Again you must insert code into each of your web
      pages and the counter is very simple --just text
      numbers, but you can jazz it up a bit if you know some
      HTML.

      I would really like to know about other people's
      experiences with servers and domain sellers,
      especially regarding server reliablity, customer
      service, and web statistics vs cost, space, and perks.

      I believe Dafne discovered a company when she got her
      Bravenet counter (I remember traveling to a link that
      handles Bravenet's stats and they offer server space
      at the same price as Netfirms but with better stats).
      Bravenet.com is also a company, can Dafne tell us
      more about them?

      The process itself is easy (if a little confusing at
      first depending on who you are dealing with). Once
      you get your domain name, you then choose a server
      space. If this is the same company I imagine the
      process is very simple; if not then you simply give
      some server access numbers to the Domain Name company
      and everything is set up.

      You upload your pages via an FTP software, such as
      CuteFTP (PC) or Fetch (Mac) or Dreamweaver (both). I
      love uploading files from within my Dreamweaver
      program -- it's as easy as dragging files from one
      window to another. For those of you using Front Page,
      there may be a built-in FTP as well (though I dislike
      FP as it discriminates against Macs and has WAY too
      much meta language -- hurts those who would like to
      learn HTML).

      Looking forward to everyone else's contribution on
      this subject, it was a good question Aiden!
      All the best,
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi Aiden and Arlyn,

        I only use free webhosts. One of them is Bravenet which is fairly good and with many added values. However, I have been using geocities because it is very easy to use.

        I have found two pages where they rate and review many free and paid services:

        http://www.ftpplanet.com/cgi/_listreview/listreview.pl?list_path=Web_free_hosting

        http://www.ftpplanet.com/cgi/_listreview/listreview.pl?list_path=Web_paid_hosting

        Hope this is helpful,

        Daf

        Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:
        Hi Aiden,

[...]

      • Ismail Fayed
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          Dear Aiden,

          The review of both services you refered to is very useful. Anyhow, I
          am using Netfirms for quite some time now, the free account with 25
          MG free web space and FTp upload. It is quite good for free accounts
          or students' projects of course except that part about web
          statistics.
          This is just a thought..
          Ismail.

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Arlyn Freed