Van's workshop

  • Rita Zeinstejer
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2003
      Hi, Van and all,

      I had a frustrating experience today, when unable to share FatecMOO with some other Webheads. I met Maria at Yahoo and asked her if she had managed to be there. She had, same as Dafne, whom I also contacted via Yahoo.
      I had already checked the site this morning, and managed to be there, but, for some reason, did not manage to get in now, even though I then disconnected my popup stopper in case it interfered... I couldn't even get into the portal!
      Anyway, sorry for my absence, Van. Would it be possible to see the slides you projected, somehow? Maybe uploading them to our Yahoo place?

      Congrats on your experience, and please, tell us how you lived it... Hope you enjoyed it, and that it came out as planned.

      Cheers,

      Rita

    • CJones
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
        Hi, Rita, and all,

        I was at Van's workshop yesterday and may be able to explain part of
        Rita's problem. We were all dispersed in different virtual rooms, and
        I was in room 1. Rita was shown as being in that room but "sleeping."
        I thought that meant you had stepped away from your computer and were
        thus inactive. Maybe you didn't get logged out properly when you
        entered earlier in the day. Perhaps Van will be able to explain it
        better later.

        It seems that the same presentation was made 8 times, each in a
        different room. The presenter in room 1 would show a slide and then
        each participant was to respond with "ok" after we had seen the
        slide. The text chat was in the left frame, and the slides were in
        the right frame. There was also a frame at the top which had buttons
        with various functions such as "Who" to see who else was in all the
        rooms. There was a slight lag from the time a slide was sent or text
        was made till we could see it. Part of the presentation was
        theoretical about the advantages and disadvantages of using the
        Internet, especially synchronous communication, to teach language.
        Part of it took us through some of the virtual rooms in the Moo. This
        part was interactive, so different people could go into different
        rooms. However, we could not interact with whoever was there. We were
        also taken to interactive language exercises mostly or all created
        with Hot Potatoes.

        All in all, it was an interesting presentation and well put together.
        It gave at least 8 different people (Van's students I presume) a
        chance to present information. It was strange to be away from all the
        other Webheads. I chatted to Dafne on Yahoo Messenger from time to
        time to find out what was going on in her room. This was very helpful
        especially in the beginning since I was confused about not being in
        the same room with other Webheads and thought I got in the wrong room
        somehow.

        Van, I'm still interested to know if I can use my username and
        password to enter the Moo and talk to people in the various rooms,
        such as in Angel's house or the castle.

        Chris Jones

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Zeinstejer"
        <rita@z...> wrote:
        > I had a frustrating experience today, when unable to share FatecMOO
        with some other Webheads. I met Maria at Yahoo and asked her if she
        had managed to be there. She had, same as Dafne, whom I also
        contacted via Yahoo.

        > Rita
      • Sir Van
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
          Chris--

          First of all, thanks for coming to the workshop.

          I would greatly like to thank Maria Jordano, Aiden and
          Dafne also.

          I had no intention to get you separated, but you know,
          many webheads couldn't attend for different reasons.
          My original idea was to have you in pairs, because
          I had 8 rooms and 15 webheads.

          Well, we had about 50 people connected last night
          and the whole workshop was lead by the students.
          For me that was the most important thing about
          the meeting. Students in a different position, learning
          and teaching at the same time.

          For those interested in visiting or revisiting the
          conversation I've put the logs online, except
          room 5 which had no attendance except my
          students.

          Take a look at:

          http://www.vansouza.com.br/logs.htm

          Thanks once more, webheads for your
          participation!

          Van
        • Sir Van
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2003
            Chris--

            Yes, you can use your ID and password to enter
            anytime you want to. My students and I normally
            meet on Saturdays from 10:30 to 11:45 am (first
            group) and from 12:00 to 2:30 pm. Brasilia time.

            Van

            > Van, I'm still interested to know if I can use my username and
            > password to enter the Moo and talk to people in the various rooms,
            > such as in Angel's house or the castle.
            >
            > Chris Jones

          • Arlyn Freed
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2003
              I missed the workshop -- something came up last minute
              and I wasn't home in time, but I just finished
              reviewing the presentation from room 1 and feel as if
              I were almost there. Thanks Van!

              What was most interesting to me is that this
              perspective was from the students' point of view, for
              a change. Since we are all teachers it's good once in
              a while to hear exactly how they feel about CMC and
              what they think they're getting out of it. I felt it
              was particularly poignant to hear the things they
              CAN'T do over the internet re:interpersonal
              communication. Some of those issues (the ability to
              see a person's eyes/face, to touch/smell) are very
              important indeed.

              I also really enjoyed seeing aspects of the MOO and,
              like Chris, would like to enter again at another time,
              to explore some of the rooms that might help my lower
              level students with vocabulary (Angela's house).

              So even though I missed (another) interactive
              activity, Van's archive of material helped me feel
              like I was there and I don't feel so bereft anymore.

              Thanks again for a great presentation and thank your
              students too, they did a great job (and I can tell
              they were nervous).
              All the best,
              Arlyn

              Message: 5
              Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:52:26 -0200
              From: "Sir Van" <sir.van@...>
              Subject: Re: Re: Van's workshop

[...]

              =====
              http://www.eslhome.com

              "What's past is prologue."
              -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • CJones
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
                Hi, Van,

                That's great. I wrote down the time your group meets and may try to
                join you sometime. Arlyn is also interested in using it the moo
                sometime, so I may try to work out a time with her.

                By the way, your students handled the sessions very well. Are they
                future ESL teachers as opposed to students just learning the language?

                Chris

                --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Van"
                <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                > Chris--
                >
                > Yes, you can use your ID and password to enter
                > anytime you want to. My students and I normally
                > meet on Saturdays from 10:30 to 11:45 am (first
                > group) and from 12:00 to 2:30 pm. Brasilia time.
                >

                > Van
              • Sir Van
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Dear, Chris--

                  Please, let me know when you are
                  going to join us because we are finishing
                  our semester and I want to be sure that
                  you will finds us there.

                  This week there won't be any MOO session
                  because we have outdoors activities:

                  1. a face to face Workshop where Fatec
                  students will be presenting their Monographs;
                  2. a visit to a hospital for volunteer work.

                  We will be honored to have you there next
                  week. On the other hand, the MOO is open 24
                  hours a day and you can enter anytime you
                  want, wether we are there or not.

                  Big hug from Brazil,

                  Van

                  > Hi, Van,
                  >
                  > That's great. I wrote down the time your group meets and may try to
                  > join you sometime. Arlyn is also interested in using it the moo
                  > sometime, so I may try to work out a time with her.
                  >
                  > By the way, your students handled the sessions very well. Are they
                  > future ESL teachers as opposed to students just learning the language?
                  >
                  > Chris
                • CJones
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Hi, Van,

                    Thanks for letting me know about this Saturday. I'll be on vacation
                    by the following Saturday, and my plans are rather indefinite at the
                    moment. Unless you hear from me, assume that I am not going to be at
                    your moo.

                    Chris Jones