Photo size

  • María Irene Albers de Urriola
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2002
      Hi Vance,
      It was great to hear you had such a good time in Nairobi.
      I use Photo Editor, which is one of my scanner's program, but for the one in my page I only used the mouse to reduce its size.
      As to the updating of the page it's going to have something new every week because there are tasks that should be evaluated online.
      The problem with the secondary pages links is related to the file names. I used long names, as I'm used to do whith Word or any other Office program. I learnt that those file names should not be more than eitght characters and that no spaces or accent marks are allowed because the server cannot interpret them. Therefore it gives addresses like Consultabibliogr20%/. The percentages indicate that one of those forbidden characters was included.
      I made the changes and now all pages are working.
      I've also learnt that using Netscape to build your web page has an extraordinary advantage, which is that wherever you are, you can modify the page, whereas if you work with a program like Publisher, Dreamweaber, etc. they should be loaded in that specific PC in order to make the changes.
      Thanks a lot for your mail. Greetings,
      María Irene

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2002
        Hi María,

        Thanks for your email. You make many points worth discussing.

        María Irene Albers de Urriola wrote:

        > I use Photo Editor, which is one of my scanner's program, but for the one in my page I only used the mouse to reduce its size.

        ok, but be careful here. It is possible with a mouse in an HTML editor to reduce the size of a photo as it appears on your web page BUT if this doesn't reduce the size of the photo itself then the download time will be the same because the BIG photo file will be downloaded each time the small picture is to be placed on your page.

        If you are resizing in Photo Editor and saving the photo file and then inserting the small photo on the web page then you are ok. You can look at your files directory and see the size of the photo you are inserting in the page.

        > The problem with the secondary pages links is related to the file names. I used long names, as I'm used to do whith Word or any other Office program. I learnt that those file names should not be more than eitght characters and that no spaces or accent marks are allowed because the server cannot interpret them. Therefore it gives addresses like Consultabibliogr20%/. The percentages indicate that one of those forbidden characters was included.

        Yes, 20% replaces a space in a file name. The problem is that your computer will link files more tolerantly than will the Internet. For example, your computer doesn't care if a file name has upper or lower case characters, but on the Internet upper and lower case are significant. SO you should adopt certain conventions when saving and naming files. Some of these are:

        - not a bad idea to use 8 character file names and 3 character extensions (htm instead of html) e.g. filename.htm
        - never leave a space in a file name
        - avoid any character other than a letter or number except dash - or underscore_
        - use only lower case letters in file names. If you use Geocities File Manager, convert all files to lower case.

        A lot of times when things don't link it's because you've violated one of these conventions. Like you have a file called Filename.htm or a pic called picture.JPG. Make sure you stay with lower case to avoid problems.

        > I've also learnt that using Netscape to build your web page has an extraordinary advantage, which is that wherever you are, you can modify the page, whereas if you work with a program like Publisher, Dreamweaber, etc. they should be loaded in that specific PC in order to make the changes.

        This is good advice, though if you use Dreamweaver to create a page you SHOULD be able to edit it in Netscape Composer, but maybe not. Sounds like you've found a good system.

        Congratulations on your page,