invitation to leave voice message to my BB's voice message board for ETA conference

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
      It's 1 am Monday morning here, and I�m preparing an outline for my workshop presentation at the ETA (English Teachers' Association) Conference in Taipei on Nov. 07, 10:50 am-11:50am (2am GMT). Here's some info.

      Title: "Computer Mediated Communication: Linking Your Classroom to the World"

      Abstract:

      In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn more about the different forms of Computer Mediated Communication (CMC) and they will have the opportunity to create and try out these tools and media. To show how synchronous and asynchronous communications work, the presenter will webcast the entire workshop live on the internet and the participants will interact with members of the Webheads, an online community of teachers and educators who have been using CMC and meeting online since 1998 as part of their teaching and learning agenda; this live online session will be held in Tappedin.org (a MOO environment), and Yahoo Voice and Video Conferencing; other modes of communication (e-groups, discussion boards, etc.) will also be presented. It is hoped that this workshop will help teachers/educators to be able to decide what form of CMC they will use to create the best classroom for their particular course/s. As the saying goes, in order to learn how to swim, one must first get into
      the water. To take the plunge is the first step, to put into practice what they have learned is the second, and finally to practice what they preach combined with the first two is a manifestation of their dedication to the profession. The proper integration of CMC can make the learning process a whole lot different, fun, and meaningful. From a pragmatic point of view, CMC provides a borderless education while teachers hold the key in linking their classrooms to the world.

      I think I was too bold and daring when I wrote this abstract early this year, almost taking for granted the fact that internet connection could either make or break any presentation or class (as I've repeatedly experience from the past) for that matter. ETA doesn't provide internet access (not even a data projector) just simply 'ol overhead projector. So, this is what I'm planning to do. Use bluetooth to 'link my presentation to the world'. However, I am not counting on high rates of success but rather on the lack of it. It won't be that bad, I hope. On the other hand, I've got a better idea, which I hope you will all agree with me- if not- any suggestions? I would like to ask you to leave voice messages in my blackboard site AND send me a backup file at aidenyeh@... or nkfust02@.... Please let me know when you�ve sent the file and where you sent it to. I have created a new folder in BB called ETA 2003: Linking your classroom to the world with CMC tools. What you will be
      saying in your voice message is simply your feelings/reactions to the projects that we've collaborated in the past: advantages/disadvantages and what you think is/will be instore/d for EFL/ESL teachers. You can of course mention that the webheads' community has brought us all together.

      If you can make it on the actual conference itself, then that would be great. If you can make it online, then I�ll ask the audience to interact with you. You don�t have to repeat what you�ve said in your voice message because I�ll be playing it even before I give you the floor. This is simply to show them how things work. I�d like to try wimba voice conference and YM (because we all started with this FREE tool).

      Here's the URL, you need to log in, If you don't have a password please let me know so Frank from Taiwan Online Plus, distributor of Wimba in Taiwan can issue your passwords.

      direct to the voice board: http://81.80.215.131/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=/bin/common/course.pl?course_id=_29_1

      portal: http://81.80.215.131/ (Click Aiden Yeh's Course, then click "Communications", scroll down, click voice board, click to open "ETA Conference..." folder, leave message.

      Another favor, can you please send me a backup file, just in case internet connections get really slow, to aidenyeh@... or nkfust02@...

      I'll be flying to Taipei this Friday morning, and will present around 10:50 am. I hope to get your precious voice message before then.

      You can of course say �NO� but I�d appreciate it if you can join me (AGAIN)-sync or async- on this one.

      If there�s anything that I�ve missed out or anything that needs clarification, please send me an email.

      Thanks in advance!

      aiden

      Aiden Yeh
      National Kaohsiung First University of Science and Technology
      Taiwan

    • buthaina_3
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hi Aiden,
        I need a password, please. And I guess I'm fortunate again, since
        Nov. 07, (2 am GMT) is a Friday, which is the weekend, here.
        However, 2 am GMT is 5:00 am Kuwait Time, therefore, I will do my
        best to stay up to join you. If I couldn't, however, I will
        defintely leave a voice message on your BB page, once I get the
        password.
        Good luck,
        Buth
        P.S Aiden, I'm so sorry that I couldn't participate in your latest
        project, as I promised.I had to leave on the same day to Lebanon to
        visit my parents, whom I didn't see since my father was discharged
        from the hospital,last July. I hope you understand my situation.

        In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Aiden Yeh wrote:

        > It's 1 am Monday morning here, and I'm preparing an outline for
        my workshop presentation at the ETA (English Teachers' Association)
        Conference in Taipei on Nov. 07, 10:50 am-11:50am (2am GMT). Here's
        some info........you need to log in, If you don't have a password
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Buth,

          I do understand. Your voice message will be good enough :-) And,
          buth, you are already registered. Your username is 'buth', if you've
          forgotten your password, you can always change it.

          Here's the url: http://81.80.215.131/

          Thanks again and say 'hi' to your family for me.

          Aiden

          <buthaina_3@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Aiden,
          > I need a password, please. And I guess I'm fortunate again, since
          > Nov. 07, (2 am GMT) is a Friday, which is the weekend, here.
          > However, 2 am GMT is 5:00 am Kuwait Time, therefore, I will do my
          > best to stay up to join you. If I couldn't, however, I will
          > defintely leave a voice message on your BB page, once I get the
          > password.
          > Good luck,
          > Buth

        • Rita Zeinstejer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            Hi, Aiden! Please, send me a password, I'll leave you a message, and will try to be online on Thursday 11 pm here in Argentina. Thank you.
            Cheers,
            Rita
            In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Aiden Yeh wrote:

            > It's 1 am Monday morning here, and I'm preparing an outline for
            my workshop presentation at the ETA (English Teachers' Association)
            Conference in Taipei on Nov. 07, 10:50 am-11:50am (2am GMT). Here's
            some info........you need to log in, If you don't have a password
            please let me know so Frank from Taiwan Online Plus, distributor of
            Wimba in Taiwan can issue your passwords>.

          • CJones
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
              Hi, Aiden,

              I'm hoping to join you and send a voice message as well. Please get
              me a password

              Chris Jones