articles on online discussion

  • CJones
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi, all,

      For those of you interested research about online discussion, the
      November issue of Sidebar is devoted to that topic. You can find it
      at http://online.bcit.ca/sidebars/03november/index.htm. Note that
      below the contents on that same page, there is a one paragraph
      description of each article.

      Chris Jones
    • Sir_Van
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2003
        The event I mentioned a few days ago will be
        on November, 26 - 7:30 PM - Brasilia Time, at
        FatecMOO http://moo.fatecid.com.br:7000
        We will call it:

        EFL online practice: students talk about their
        experience in using MOOs and other Internet tools.

        Basically, the meeting will be divided into
        two moments:
        1- My EFL students will talk and present about
        their experiences in using computers, especially
        MOOs, to practice English.

        2- There will be an open discussion on the issue:
        Can computers/Internet help EFL students to improve
        their skills? Why? Why not? How?

        The students are in the process of organizing the
        meeting, so I will have more details in a week.
        Because of the large number of people attending
        the discussion we intend to split them up in
        small groups. We estimate 6 - 8 groups of 8 - 10
        people.

        Those interested in joining us, please let me know
        because that will be necessary to be creatd new accounts
        at FatecMOO.

        Thank you so much!

        Van
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi, Van!

          Count me in!

          Hope to hear more about the event soon.

          Um abraço de Lisboa,

          Teresa
        • João Fernandes
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2003
            Hi,
            I will be glad to join in.

            Sir_Van <sir.van@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            / João Fernandes/

            http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt
            http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt

          • Maria Jordano
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2003
              I will try to join...

              Mar�a

              =====

              Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
              Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
              14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

              TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

            • buthaina_3
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
                Hi Van,
                Please count me in as I'm very intersted in joining you and your
                students.
                Fortunately, November, 26 - 7:30 PM would be Thursday, November 27 -
                3:30 AM, Kuwait Time, which is the weekend here, in Kuwait. So,I
                don't have to worry about the next day.
                Best wishes,
                Buth

                "Sir_Van" wrote:
                > The event I mentioned a few days ago will be
                > on November, 26 - 7:30 PM - Brasilia Time, at
                > FatecMOO http://moo.fatecid.com.br:7000

                > Those interested in joining us, please let me know
                > because that will be necessary to be creatd new accounts
                > at FatecMOO.
                >
                > Thank you so much!
                >
                > Van
              • Aiden Yeh
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Van,

                  That'll be 5:30 AM Taiwan time. I'll try to be there- 'will set my
                  alarm clock- I expect your session will last for an hour, in which
                  case, as soon as this event wraps up it would be time for me to
                  prepare breakfast and send my kids off to school :-)

                  Aiden

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sir_Van"
                  <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                  > The event I mentioned a few days ago will be
                  > on November, 26 - 7:30 PM - Brasilia Time, at
                  > FatecMOO http://moo.fatecid.com.br:7000
                  > We will call it:

                • Rita Zeinstejer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
                    I would have liked to join you, Vance, but at this time I'm in class (6.30 pm in Argentina), sorry about this!
                    Best,
                    Rita

                    <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                    > The event I mentioned a few days ago will be
                    > on November, 26 - 7:30 PM - Brasilia Time, at
                    > FatecMOO http://moo.fatecid.com.br:7000
                    > We will call it:

                  • CJones
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
                      Hi, Van,

                      I would be happy to join you if you can get me an account. Is
                      Brasilia still on Daylight savings time then? This will help me
                      figure out the time here.

                      Chris Jones

                      <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                      > The event I mentioned a few days ago will be
                      > on November, 26 - 7:30 PM - Brasilia Time, at
                      > FatecMOO http://moo.fatecid.com.br:7000
                      > We will call it:
                      >
                      > EFL online practice: students talk about their
                      > experience in using MOOs and other Internet tools.
                      >
                      > Basically, the meeting will be divided into
                      > two moments:
                      > 1- My EFL students will talk and present about
                      > their experiences in using computers, especially
                      > MOOs, to practice English.
                      >
                      > 2- There will be an open discussion on the issue:
                      > Can computers/Internet help EFL students to improve
                      > their skills? Why? Why not? How?
                      >
                      > The students are in the process of organizing the
                      > meeting, so I will have more details in a week.
                      > Because of the large number of people attending
                      > the discussion we intend to split them up in
                      > small groups. We estimate 6 - 8 groups of 8 - 10
                      > people.
                      >
                      > Those interested in joining us, please let me know
                      > because that will be necessary to be creatd new accounts
                      > at FatecMOO.
                      >
                      > Thank you so much!
                      >
                      > Van
                    • Sir Van
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
                        Yes, we started daylight saving time just a few
                        weeks ago and it will have an end in 2004.

                        Welcome aboard!

                        Van

                        > I would be happy to join you if you can get me an account. Is
                        > Brasilia still on Daylight savings time then? This will help me
                        > figure out the time here.
                        >
                        > Chris Jones
                        >
                        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sir_Van"
                        > <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                        > > The event I mentioned a few days ago will be
                        > > on November, 26 - 7:30 PM - Brasilia Time, at
                        > > FatecMOO http://moo.fatecid.com.br:7000
                        > > We will call it:
                        > >
                        > > EFL online practice: students talk about their
                        > > experience in using MOOs and other Internet tools.
                        > >
                        > > Basically, the meeting will be divided into
                        > > two moments:
                        > > 1- My EFL students will talk and present about
                        > > their experiences in using computers, especially
                        > > MOOs, to practice English.
                        > >
                        > > 2- There will be an open discussion on the issue:
                        > > Can computers/Internet help EFL students to improve
                        > > their skills? Why? Why not? How?
                        > >
                        > > The students are in the process of organizing the
                        > > meeting, so I will have more details in a week.
                        > > Because of the large number of people attending
                        > > the discussion we intend to split them up in
                        > > small groups. We estimate 6 - 8 groups of 8 - 10
                        > > people.
                        > >
                        > > Those interested in joining us, please let me know
                        > > because that will be necessary to be creatd new accounts
                        > > at FatecMOO.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you so much!
                        > >
                        > > Van

                        > For more information:

                        extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                      • Sir Van
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Well, I am not Vance... I really need to study very, very
                          hard to become Vance :)
                          Thanks anyway!

                          Van

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
                            Hi, Aiden!!

                            We will start at 7:30 PM and finish at 10:00 PM.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
                              Thanks,

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
                                Van,

                                I'll check Miki's (my husband) schedule. If he's not on-call, then
                                perhaps he can drop my kids off to school. If not, is it alright if
                                I leave early?

                                <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                                > Hi, Aiden!!
                                >
                                > We will start at 7:30 PM and finish at 10:00 PM.
                                >
                                > Van

                              • Sir Van
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 5, 2003
                                  No problem at all, Aiden, thanks for your
                                  efforts.

                                  Van
                                  > I'll check Miki's (my husband) schedule. If he's not on-call, then
                                  > perhaps he can drop my kids off to school. If not, is it alright if
                                  > I leave early?
                                  >
                                  > Aiden
                                  >
                                  > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Sir Van"
                                  > <sir.van@u...> wrote:
                                  > > Hi, Aiden!!
                                  > >
                                  > > We will start at 7:30 PM and finish at 10:00 PM.
                                  > >
                                  > > Van

                                  > For more information:

                                  extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                                • Maria Rendon
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 5, 2003
                                    Hi "Van" your name is almost "Vance" just add two more letters...and
                                    you are also SIR Van... wow that's something!

                                    Count me in too for the event!

                                    Maria Rendon

                                    http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.ht

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/