Re: [evonline2002_webheads] problems with geocities

  • João Fernandes
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello,

      I have no problems accessing the page.

      TAke care
      /João/

      Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:
      Hi Tere, and All,

      I have no problems accessing the page. It opens very easily.

      Daf

      Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone!

      I've just tried to access Aiden's Geocities page (URL below) at

      http://www.geocities.com/tesol_evonline/2004sessions/

      and, once again, Geocities is taking forever. It's been this way "for me"
      for about 2-3 weeks. It opens at 'snail pace' and sometimes doesn't even
      open (present situation though I clicked on Stop and Refresh).

      The other day I was chatting with Daf about a Web page we have in Geocities.
      While for her it opened immediately, for me it took a couple of minutes (and
      lots of frustration!).

      My questions are:

      -- Is anyone having the same sort of problem? Joao and Fernanda, are you
      having problems? Could it be some connection/access problem specific to
      Portugal?

      -- How should I go about trying to find out what the problem and/or cause
      may be?

      VIP(oint): I don't think the problem is with my computer, because all other
      Web pages open normally.

      TIA for any help.

      Teresa

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      / João Fernandes/

      http://joaojardim.no.sapo.pt
      http://englishonline.no.sapo.pt

    • Michael Marzio
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hi Teresa, and all of you who have already replied to her message,

        The first time I tried to access Aiden's Geocities page at
        http://www.geocities.com/tesol_evonline/2004sessions/ was on Thursday
        afternoon, and I had problems similar to what you describe in your
        message below. I just tried again and the page opened in less than a
        second. But it is Sunday morning right now. The bandwidth-thieves on
        the other side of the Atlantic (my fellow Americans) are still
        sleeping soundly, and Sunday is probably a low-traffic day anyway as
        compared to Monday through Thursday/Friday.

        I think that explains the problem quite simply. I don't think it is
        specific to Portugal. Geocities and other huge sites are simply more
        sensitive to bandwidth issues than low-traffic sites, imho.

        Mike

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
          Thank you, Mike, and all those who have given me feedback on how your
          computer performs with Geocities. However, I was expecting a little more
          from my online friends, namely, hints on how to try and solve my problem.

          I tend to think that it's some problem with my computer, because my
          husband's computer, right next to mine, opens any Geocities page very
          quickly. So, what I did earlier this morning was to delete all my cookies
          and see how Geocities performs. I'll let you know. BTW, my first impression
          (and hope it's a lasting one!) is that it's quicker.

          Request: May I ask you all NOT to refer to or use Aiden's page for anything
          yet. I mentioned to it, because it came up in a message, but I've been asked
          not to give it any use for now. I only used Aiden's "fabulously looking
          page" as a timely example of my computer's "very bad" performance (snail's
          pace) in accessing ANY Geocities page. My apologies for my inappropriate
          reference.

          Cheers,

          Teresa

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2003
            <tmvaz@m...> wrote:
            > Request: May I ask you all NOT to refer to or use Aiden's page for
            anything
            > yet. I mentioned to it, because it came up in a message, but I've
            been asked
            > not to give it any use for now. I only used Aiden's "fabulously
            looking
            > page" as a timely example of my computer's "very bad" performance
            (snail's
            > pace) in accessing ANY Geocities page. My apologies for my
            inappropriate
            > reference.

            Mea culpa also. In a spirit of congratulations on a Webhead's
            accomplishment I shared Aiden's url with the group a bit over
            effusively as it now appears. As someone pointed out to me, she
            signed up for the EVO_2004 group thinking it was the online training
            being offered January to March. If you have done that this might
            have created a minor perterbation in a very small teapot, tilting
            ever so slightly the ordinary balance of things. As I was in part
            responsible I might now take it upon myself to ask that -if you have
            ACCIDENTALLY subscribed to the moderator training group- you send an
            unsubscription notice to EVO_2004-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . It's
            really no big deal either way and you would probably contribute to
            the moderator training, but technically members of that group are
            moderators of the upcoming sessions and designated trainers, so just
            to set things back on perfectly even keel, and only if you joined by
            mistake, you might attend to this request.

            We are all volunteers and everyone in this group is appreciated. We
            all suffer from information overload and no one will complain if you
            don't take any action as a result of this email. And I hope that
            this mail will resolve rather than add to any confusion.

            If you wish further clarification you might contact me off list.

            Cheers,