Re: Resizing images for the web -Digest Number 49

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      For photo manipulation software, I like Adobe
      Photoshop the best, but it is the most expensive. In
      the past I have had access via my employers (graphic
      design, mulitmedia producer or university).

      With Adobe PS there is great flexibility for altering
      an image -- scan in a photo and fix what life didn't:
      remove your boyfriend's zit from his otherwise lovely
      face, compensate for an under/overexposure or a
      hotspot, even shift color palettes and contrast (much
      as you can with all the other programs, though with
      lesser control I think).

      The best feature is the one Dafne probably wants to
      know the most about -- not so much the IMAGE size but
      the FILE size; the combination of both will help
      images load quickly on slow computers/connections.
      First: manipulate your image at the highest
      resolution. With each major change, save a different
      version(i.e., Matt1.psd, Matt2.psd, etc) -- don't
      overwrite (it's very hard to go back and get that
      highlight 'just so', etc.). Notice these are not
      image files yet, still Photoshop docs.

      When you finally have the version you like and want to
      put it on the web -- Photoshop lets you chose a format
      (stick with .gif or .jpg - though .gifs load faster --
      I prefer .jpg). (e.g., Matt.jpg)
      In .jpg, you have the option to "save for the web" at
      various degrees of resolution (best, okay, etc.).
      Again, save this version differently (Matt4web.jpg);
      you may not be happy with the loss of quality on the
      first go and will have to make adjustments by
      reopening the 'good version'(e.g., Matt.jpg) and
      trying again at a higher resolution. (I've also cut
      the size of an image but kept the resolution higher as
      a compromise to the reverse).

      Best example: Do you know how large the file of your
      pic is on the Webheads Yahoo Groups page is? Mine is
      a faculty photo and 92K -- larger than it should be --
      I don't have any image manipulation software at the
      moment. Though the image is tiny -- but the file size
      is not.
      This same file is approx. four times larger on my
      homepage and takes that much more time to load on the
      screen. At the smaller image size, no one will notice
      the difference in file size but -- on a slower
      computer -- the larger image could load up annoyingly
      slow (my apologies - 2001-02 has been rough and rapid;
      web has been the last thing on my mind).

      I hope this helps (and doesn't confuse-- I'm getting
      confused just reading it over!).
      all the best,
      Arlyn

      http://sports.yahoo.com