Invitation

  • sir.van
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2003
      Hi, everyone--

      Thanks for all the welcome messages!

      I am very pleased to have met you, but as many of
      you have already said It's been difficult to attend to
      many of those nice sessions because lack of time or
      incompatible time schedules.

      I have really appreciated Maria Rendon's vClass presentation
      and I 've been following the enthusiasm of this group.

      Yesterday I was talking to Venny and invited him to
      participate in an online meeting when I and my colleague
      Sullivan (Sully) will be introducing about 40 teachers to
      collaborative virtual environments. The meeting will take
      place at FatecMOO in November, but I told Venny I am
      considering the possibility of using a voice chat environment
      like Alado or vClass also.

      The attendees are EFL teachers and not familiar with Learning
      Online Environments. Many of them are skeptic about the
      advantages of using computers in the classrooms. Many of them
      would like to have the following questions answered:

      What can we do better using computers in comparison with
      f2f interactions? Why using computers in the EFL classroom?

      Well, I am extending the invitation to you all expecting that
      you are pretty experienced in the issue and would help us
      to answer those questions :))

      Big hug from Brazil!

      Van (Sir_Van)

      ---
      AntiPop-up UOL - É grátis!
      http://antipopup.uol.com.br
    • Rita Zeinstejer
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2003
        Hi, Van, very welcome to this amazing group of born sharers!

        I guess all of us can help you answer those questions, in fact, I'm trying to provide the answers to EFL teachers in Argentina myself, many of them quite skeptic about the use of computers for language learning, and all willing to get everything chewed and digested!

        So count on me, but please, let me know times and dates in advance.
        Thank you very much for your invitation. Cheers,

        Rita

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • buthaina_3
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2003
          Hi Van,
          I would like to participate and help in your session, scheduled for
          November. However,as Rita mentioned, let us know of times and
          dates,in advance, please.
          BTW, The issue of using computers and the Internet is still
          questioned in many places in our world. In fact, here in Kuwait we
          still have many teachers and educators who are skeptic about its
          benefits for language learners.But I'm sure things would,
          eventually, change one day everywhere.
          Buth

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2003
            Van,

            You can also count on me as long as the day and time do not collide with my
            school work. I hope not.

            I will visit your MOO in advance to see how it works.

            Cheers from Lisbon!

            Teresa
          • Maria Rendon
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2003
              Hi Van,

              > I have really appreciated Maria Rendon's vClass presentation

              Thanks, I also appreciated your presence there :)

              > and I 've been following the enthusiasm of this group.

              So have I!

              > The meeting will take
              > place at FatecMOO in November, but I told Venny I am
              > considering the possibility of using a voice chat environment
              > like Alado or vClass also.

              Please don't forget to tell us when. I hope it's late November ;)
              and at a suitable time for many of the Webheads

              > What can we do better using computers in comparison with
              > f2f interactions? Why using computers in the EFL classroom?

              Some reasons imho: Regarding the use of the Internet: for
              collaboration with students in other parts of the world, for
              interaction with native speakers, for learning reading and
              information searching skills online, which is something most people
              will have to learn even if its not in a EFL class, for practising
              writing skills by writing for a real audience and getting immediate
              a community of learners, like this one!

              Hugs to all,

              Maria E.
            • Bob Zwick
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
                Sir_Van,

                I wish you the best of luck in your meeting.

                I just cringe when people say how can computers be used in
                classrooms or to teach. I was speaking to a person in the USA
                workforce just yesterday and they didn't know that classes are
                available on the Internet.

                A good example of what is being done in Brazil right now is
                available in the archived recording of the Children's Day
                Presentation that was hosted at Talking Communities on November 12,
                2003. You will hear from teachers, government officals and business
                people about 21st century education. Visit
                http://talk3.talkingcommunities.com/index.php/137

                Os mais melhores desejos meu amigo,
                Bob Zwick
                Talking Communties