Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Resizing pictures

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
      Thanks Dafne for starting the ball rolling on the questions.

      I've seen Susanne's response and she is correct that dots per inch or density
      of information has much to do with the FILEsize of an image and therefore how
      long it will take to download over the Internet.

      It's much easier to control the filesize of an image though two other means:
      cropping and resizing.

      My favorite tool for doing these operations is Thumbs Plus,
      http://www.cerious.com . Using this tool, you browse your hdd for images and
      click on the thumbs icons to see their thumbnails. You can then click on an
      image to bring it up and drag a box on it to crop it (Edit/Crop), or use Image
      / Rotate & Resize to make the picture smaller.

      One nice feature of this program is the Options / Preferences features. The
      File List tab for example allows you to display the File Size in bytes and
      Dimensions in pixels of your image. It's very handy to have this information
      right in front of you when viewing images. As Susanne mentioned, you want to
      keep your file sizes down to well below 100 kbytes, in fact below 50 in most
      cases, for fast download to your vistors' browsers.

      dygonza wrote:

      > Hi Everybody,
      >
      > Taking on this week's topic I would like to express my ignorance
      > about resizing pictures. I have three applications that do the work:
      > Paint, Microsoft Photo Editor and PhotoStudio 2000 (this one came
      > with my webcam).

      I've launched Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000 and I can see that I can drag the image
      smaller though I can't specify a filesize as I can with Thumbs Plus.

      > I have managed to resize my pictures for the
      > webpage. But I do not know how I have done it. I mean, I start trying
      > until I get a size that fits the available space and is easy to
      > download, but I do not know how to get a specific size, neither know
      > I which are the recommendable sizes. For instance, if I use Microsoft
      > Photo Editor, I go to "Image", and then to "Change Size".

      I don't have this in PhotoDraw. I can only drag smaller. You have mentioned
      three ways of reducing file size below:
      (1) pixel size
      (2) dimensions such as inches or cm
      (3) ratio, such as 1/3 size

      The important thing is to keep aspect constant. Aspect is the relation of
      width to height. If you reduce height for example but don't change width then
      your picture will look squashed. If you use ratio then aspect will be
      maintained. If you use pixels or cms then try changing only width or height
      and see if the other dimension will change automatically. Thumbs Plus lets
      you set 'Aspect Fit' to 'both' to accomplish this.

      For my own pages, I use 'big' pictures of no more than 300 x 400 pixels, and
      these could be anywhere from 20 to 60 kbytes. All your thumbnails on the
      webheads pages are 60x70 pixels and range in size from 1.5 to 5 kbytes. To
      get your pictures to that size I cropped the face as much as possible, reduced
      either L or W to its correct dimension, and then cropped the other dimension
      to get it to the correct size.

      > There, I
      > find the units in pixels, inches and cm, well, I never know how to
      > set this. Sometimes I change the pixels and the picture is still too
      > large.Until I try the picture on the webpage I do not know if it will
      > fit there or not. If I use PhotoStudio, it has a reducing feature
      > expressed in figures like 1:1,1:3, etc. I am lost. I heard someone
      > say that a good size for web pictures was 72 pixels by inch. Is this
      > right? If so, How do I get that?
      > I am all ears for advice.

      I believe this is 72 dots per inch. In PhotoDraw there is a compression
      option (high compression gives smaller filesize). In Thumbs Plus you can
      adjust color 'depth' but I don't think you can set dpi.

      Susanne says she thinks gif is most appropriate for web quality. One
      advantage to gif is that you can set a background color to transparent so it
      blends in with your web page background, and another is that you can run gif
      images together to make an animated gif. Still another, or so I have read, is
      that gif is not as lossy as jpeg during processing (meaning that if you alter
      a gif you won't lose quality with each operation as much as you will with
      jpeg). The advice in the article I read was to work in gif and do a final
      save as jpeg. Image software (Thumbs Plus for example) will let you convert
      to and save in whichever format you want. Most web images I encounter are
      either gif or jpeg.

      If anyone can add to this please do.

      Vance
    • dygonza
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
        Thank you Sus and Vance for your suggestions, I will try tomorrow to
        see what happens. I am going do download the application Vance
        suggested to see if I am able to figure out the steps of the
        process.:-)

        Daf

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>