Resizing pictures

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi Everybody,

      Taking on this week's topic I would like to express my ignorance
      about resizing pictures. I have three applications that do the work:
      Paint, Microsoft Photo Editor and PhotoStudio 2000 (this one came
      with my webcam). I have managed to resize my pictures for the
      webpage. But I do not know how I have done it. I mean, I start trying
      until I get a size that fits the available space and is easy to
      download, but I do not know how to get a specific size, neither know
      I which are the recommendable sizes. For instance, if I use Microsoft
      Photo Editor, I go to "Image", and then to "Change Size". There, I
      find the units in pixels, inches and cm, well, I never know how to
      set this. Sometimes I change the pixels and the picture is still too
      large.Until I try the picture on the webpage I do not know if it will
      fit there or not. If I use PhotoStudio, it has a reducing feature
      expressed in figures like 1:1,1:3, etc. I am lost. I heard someone
      say that a good size for web pictures was 72 pixels by inch. Is this
      right? If so, How do I get that?
      I am all ears for advice.

      Lost in cyber pictures,
      Dafne
    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
        Dafne:

        When you talk about the size of a file it is not (only) the number of
        pixels - it also depends on the quality of resolution, that is the
        sharpness of colors and contrasts - the larger file, the better
        resolution (necessary for a perfect color print), and the smaller
        file, the faster it will load on the internet! That is why the scale
        of "Dots per Inch" (DPI) has a great importante to us web designers
        (in spe:-) Less dots, faster load.
        "Millions of colors " are much more information-rich than , say, 256
        colors which is usually enough for getting a neat image on a computer
        screen - but will look pale in print.

        I think the most reliable image formats for the net are GIF and
        PICT. Many (or all?) scanner/ image programmes do not make those
        formats; I have found that when I open my scanner Twain resource in
        the shareware programme Graphic converter, I can decide for almost
        any format. You will be able to check the file size somewhere in your
        informations - a reasonable size for a smaller image might be less
        than 100 kb. For the size in inches or centimeters, The homepage
        images will not always correspond with your WYSIWYG pagemaker - that
        may depend on the browser type and version, and the screen resolution
        - which is (I think) also meassures in dots per inch - DPI. I usually
        have a low resolution, 800 x 600, that will give me clear fonts and
        a good contrast (And is the recommended resolution for Tapped In).

        Just an example: I opened my test pages on the net from another
        computer yestedrday, and got a realive surprise: my background colors
        and my images were totally different (far too edark for my liking).
        This made me realize how important ist may be to test homepages on
        different screen resolutions, and different browsers (even different
        browser versions). That is one more reason why I have not yet felt
        ready to share my HTML homework - it does not work orderly yet, many
        of the links are still unchecked and I have no content on some of my
        pages. I know a lot of the problems, and need a little more time to
        correct the most obvious problems. One of these days ...:-)

        Sus

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
          Thanks Dafne for starting the ball rolling on the questions.

          I've seen Susanne's response and she is correct that dots per inch or density
          of information has much to do with the FILEsize of an image and therefore how
          long it will take to download over the Internet.

          It's much easier to control the filesize of an image though two other means:
          cropping and resizing.

          My favorite tool for doing these operations is Thumbs Plus,
          http://www.cerious.com . Using this tool, you browse your hdd for images and
          click on the thumbs icons to see their thumbnails. You can then click on an
          image to bring it up and drag a box on it to crop it (Edit/Crop), or use Image
          / Rotate & Resize to make the picture smaller.

          One nice feature of this program is the Options / Preferences features. The
          File List tab for example allows you to display the File Size in bytes and
          Dimensions in pixels of your image. It's very handy to have this information
          right in front of you when viewing images. As Susanne mentioned, you want to
          keep your file sizes down to well below 100 kbytes, in fact below 50 in most
          cases, for fast download to your vistors' browsers.

          dygonza wrote:

          > Hi Everybody,
          >
          > Taking on this week's topic I would like to express my ignorance
          > about resizing pictures. I have three applications that do the work:
          > Paint, Microsoft Photo Editor and PhotoStudio 2000 (this one came
          > with my webcam).

          I've launched Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000 and I can see that I can drag the image
          smaller though I can't specify a filesize as I can with Thumbs Plus.

          > I have managed to resize my pictures for the
          > webpage. But I do not know how I have done it. I mean, I start trying
          > until I get a size that fits the available space and is easy to
          > download, but I do not know how to get a specific size, neither know
          > I which are the recommendable sizes. For instance, if I use Microsoft
          > Photo Editor, I go to "Image", and then to "Change Size".

          I don't have this in PhotoDraw. I can only drag smaller. You have mentioned
          three ways of reducing file size below:
          (1) pixel size
          (2) dimensions such as inches or cm
          (3) ratio, such as 1/3 size

          The important thing is to keep aspect constant. Aspect is the relation of
          width to height. If you reduce height for example but don't change width then
          your picture will look squashed. If you use ratio then aspect will be
          maintained. If you use pixels or cms then try changing only width or height
          and see if the other dimension will change automatically. Thumbs Plus lets
          you set 'Aspect Fit' to 'both' to accomplish this.

          For my own pages, I use 'big' pictures of no more than 300 x 400 pixels, and
          these could be anywhere from 20 to 60 kbytes. All your thumbnails on the
          webheads pages are 60x70 pixels and range in size from 1.5 to 5 kbytes. To
          get your pictures to that size I cropped the face as much as possible, reduced
          either L or W to its correct dimension, and then cropped the other dimension
          to get it to the correct size.

          > There, I
          > find the units in pixels, inches and cm, well, I never know how to
          > set this. Sometimes I change the pixels and the picture is still too
          > large.Until I try the picture on the webpage I do not know if it will
          > fit there or not. If I use PhotoStudio, it has a reducing feature
          > expressed in figures like 1:1,1:3, etc. I am lost. I heard someone
          > say that a good size for web pictures was 72 pixels by inch. Is this
          > right? If so, How do I get that?
          > I am all ears for advice.

          I believe this is 72 dots per inch. In PhotoDraw there is a compression
          option (high compression gives smaller filesize). In Thumbs Plus you can
          adjust color 'depth' but I don't think you can set dpi.

          Susanne says she thinks gif is most appropriate for web quality. One
          advantage to gif is that you can set a background color to transparent so it
          blends in with your web page background, and another is that you can run gif
          images together to make an animated gif. Still another, or so I have read, is
          that gif is not as lossy as jpeg during processing (meaning that if you alter
          a gif you won't lose quality with each operation as much as you will with
          jpeg). The advice in the article I read was to work in gif and do a final
          save as jpeg. Image software (Thumbs Plus for example) will let you convert
          to and save in whichever format you want. Most web images I encounter are
          either gif or jpeg.

          If anyone can add to this please do.

          Vance
        • dygonza
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
            Thank you Sus and Vance for your suggestions, I will try tomorrow to
            see what happens. I am going do download the application Vance
            suggested to see if I am able to figure out the steps of the
            process.:-)

            Daf

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>