Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Backflip, organizing your links

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2002
      Thanks for the reply. I just woke up after getting in at 4 a.m. last night. I chatted with Daf from a cybercafe in Nairobi, and I just saw Aiden online a moment ago. I've just downloaded the 400 emails I missed over the last 10 days, many from our session.

      I never got a chance to complete the email below. Power went off suddenly in Nairobi but fortunately I happened to be sitting at a computer on UPS power system and managed to send my message before it went off too. I'm adding to what I was saying below ...

      dygonza wrote:

      > Hello,
      > After checking Vance's superb webpage:
      >
      > http://www.vancestevens.com/esl_home.htm
      >
      > I think he is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
      > them handy is your own webpage. It is probably not a fast job, but it
      > is your page and you do not have to rely on any of these services.

      It CAN be a more convenient way for you to organize your bookmarks. The point I was trying to make was that when you design a web or OLE site the most important thing is to have a good idea of the content you want. Setting out to organize bookmarks can be a good way to start.

      > > So if organizing bookmarks interests you, consider ...
      > > (1) getting a website niche carved out for yourself at geocities, or
      > Tripod (two I've found to be still free and easy to use).

      (2) Starting a web page using one of the editors we've mentioned (you create this on your computer)

      (3) Uploading the pages you create to the web space you set up in point #1 above (it works on the web like it does on your computer)

      (4) Sending us a link to your page, as some of you have done already

      I see from our syllabus that this was our goal for the last week in February, whereas the goal for the coming week is to make refinements to those pages. Some of you are already at that step, in particular where you're noticing that your pictures are too large for easy download. The procedure in this case is to get image manipulation software and reduce the size of these photos. The one I use is Thumbs Plus at http://www.cerious.com, but some of you have suggested others as we can see from the syllabus.

      I'll spend some of today working on our syllabus pages to bring them up to date. Meantime if you have any questions, send them to the list.

      Vance [back in the saddle]
    • Renata Chylinski
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2002
        dygonza wrote:

        > I think he (Vance) is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
        > them handy is your own webpage.

        This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the number of
        websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
        At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
        students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
        campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.

        In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
        meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your criteria.
        Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site organises my
        links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of Centre's
        self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'
        self-study material.

        Renata's ESL/CALL Corner
        http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm

        Cheers
      • Renata Chylinski
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2002
          Sorry guys
          Renata's ESL/CALL Corner is here:
          http://members.optushome.com.au/renatachylinski/index.htm
          The other page is not my personal one, but the one I set up for our
          students:
          http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm

          Cheers
          Renata
        • dygonza
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2002
            Dear Renata,
            Thanks for sharing your homepage with us. I just love it. By the
            way,from your photo show, I liked the one where you have curly hair.
            Good to know about that Cosmopolitan CD ;-)
            I like the way you organized your links, and the aesthetics of your
            page is lovely. An excellent model to follow.
            Best wishes,
            Dafne

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Renata Chylinski

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
              Hi everyone,

              As we pull toward the end of Week 6 of our session I've been updating the web pages at our site, adding things like the url below to Week 5 of the syllabus and updating Week 6 as the comments come in. I think Pete's posting from today will go there, for example.

              http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/week6.htm
              http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/week6.htm

              We didn't get around this week to adding multimedia to our web sites. That was also scheduled for this week, but only a few of you braved Wimba and Groupboard (which are a form of multimedia). It's not hard to do. Teresa tried to make it harder than it is by pasting her perfectly good html into Front Page, and I hope she's succeeded by now in making it work. All html is, is text in a file. Notepad is an excellent html editor without all the help features. At the end of the Week 6 syllabus page you can find some information on what we failed to cover, though it's not hyperlinked yet. We can pursue this in Week 7 for any of you who are interested.

              Several of you have sent us urls to your existing sites. If you manage to create a site (however modest) as a result of your association with this group please send us your URL so we can admire it. Another TESOL EVOnline session, Internet for Beginners, is having some success this week with getting novices to create web sites. You might want to look at their materials which are linked from my Week 6 page, above.

              Next week we address issues of eModeration, and there are in fact 4events scheduled Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday.

              March 8, Friday, 17:30 to 19:30 GMT, Vance will host a TESOL EVOnline Human_CALL chat on cross cultural issues online at Tapped In, http://www.tappedin.org

              Sunday at noon GMT there is the usual Writing for Webheads, see http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/software.htm for information

              Monday we move to Egypt - Monday 11 March, 14:00 GMT - "Online chat session with the Egypt Tesol Educational Technology Special Interest Group," hosted by Ismail Fayed with guests Vance and Dafne

              Monday we also kick off a 48 hour discussion session for this: Wednesday, March 13, at noon GMT - Webheads in Action discussion on "Issues in emoderation and chaos navigation." Michael Coghlan will host a discussion on emoderation using his paper at http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/nw2001/emod_newlang.htm as a reference

              Check the schedule for the latest details:

              http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm
              http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm

              Yaodong in Liuzhou and I (and Dafne, who happened along and joined us) have been experimenting with Pal Talk and I must say I like this chat client better than I do iVisit. The voice works quite well, better in multparty chat rooms than Yahoo Messenger as far as I can see, about like Hear Me; and the video seems to work, though perhaps not as well as Yahoo. I was able to see two cameras of others in the chat room, and there was a window for a third.

              Hope to see you online soon,

              Vance

              Renata Chylinski wrote:

              > dygonza wrote:
              > >
              > > I think he (Vance) is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
              > > them handy is your own webpage.
              >
              > This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the number of
              > websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
              > At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
              > students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
              > campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.
              >
              > In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
              > meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your criteria.
              > Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site organises my
              > links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of Centre's
              > self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'
              > self-study material.
              >
              > Renata's ESL/CALL Corner
              > http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm
              >
              > Cheers

              > For more information:
              > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
              >
              > Syllabus:
              > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

            • Renata Chylinski
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
                Thanks for encouraging words, Dafne, about my webpage.
                Unfortunately my hair is really STRAIGHT and only permanent perm would
                change it. My husband wouldn't like the look though (I have tried it);)

                Cheers

                Renata Chylinski
                CALL Coordinator
                Monash University ELC
                Melbourne, Australia
                _____________________________
                http://members.optushome.com.au/renatachylinski
                http://www-muelc.general.monash.edu.au/Lstation/station.htm
                ___________________________________
                I call a fig a fig, a spade a spade.
                Menander (342 BC - 292 BC),

                > Thanks for sharing your homepage with us. I just love it. By the
                > way,from your photo show, I liked the one where you have curly
                > hair.
                > Good to know about that Cosmopolitan CD ;-)
                > I like the way you organized your links, and the aesthetics of
                > your
                > page is lovely. An excellent model to follow.
                > Best wishes,
                > Dafne
                >
                > --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Renata Chylinski
                > <Renata.Chylinski@m...> wrote:
                > > dygonza wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I think he (Vance) is right, the best way to organize your
                > links,
                > and have
                > > > them handy is your own webpage.
                > >
                > > This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the
                > number of
                > > websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
                > > At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
                > > students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
                > > campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.
                > >
                > > In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
                > > meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your criteria.
                > > Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site
                > organises my
                > > links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of
                > Centre's
                > > self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'
                > > self-study material.
                > >
                > > Renata's ESL/CALL Corner
                > > http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm
                > >

                > > Cheers

                > -~-->
                > Buy Stock for $4.
                > No Minimums.
                > FREE Money 2002.
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/FeXolB/TM
                >
                > For more information:

                http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
                tm

                > Syllabus:

                http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.h
                tm

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • aidenyeh
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
                  Renata's page is so organized, good lay-out, simple yet effective
                  graphics, impressive links, boy, i'm running out of words. Truly
                  inspirational. Newbies like me would view your page as an excellent
                  example of a wonderfully created esl site.

                  I'll share my page as soon as i've added Wimba.

                  Aiden

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Vance Stevens <vstevens@e...>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
                    Cool,
                    can't wait to see it

                    aidenyeh wrote:

> [...]
                    > >

                    > > Renata Chylinski wrote:

                    > links, and have
                    > > >
                    > > > This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the number
                    > of
                    > > > websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
                    > > > At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
                    > > > students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
                    > > > campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.
                    > > >
                    > > > In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
                    > > > meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your
                    > criteria.
                    > > > Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site organises
                    > my
                    > > > links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of
                    > Centre's
                    > > > self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'

                  • aiden yeh
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
                      Speaking of which, what's the code for dowloading Wimba ;-) I knew it was available in one of your webpages, but last night, I just couldn't find it. I got Wimba's page, should I just download it from there? If I do that, where should I go first?
                      Aiden

                      Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote: Cool,
                      can't wait to see it

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT