Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Swearing and bad manners

  • Antonia Melvin
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hall, Anne, Teresa, Ruth...all of you, Teresa introduced me to this group
      and I'm finding all your messages and discussions fascinating. I'm an
      English as a second language support teacher in a British school in
      Portugal. Our school has been developing our intranet and website (
      stjulians.com ), but the drama dept have also done a lot of synchronous work
      and I'm now trying to pick up some more ICT knowledge and skills so that I
      may do some similar work with my students. At present, I feel very much at
      sea with all the different kinds of communication which you use, but I have
      just joined Yahoo messenger, tapped In and the Learning site you've recently
      begun to use. My other problem is lack of time since I have three children
      and teach full time and can afford no help with housework, however I've just
      successfully completed some interesting Open univesity units on teaching
      through with ICT so am very much inspired, tips welcome!

      Hoping to get to know you all better, os melhores teresa and best wishes to
      you all,

      Antonia, antoniamelvin@...

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
        Welcome to Webheads Antonia.

        Don't worry about the lack of time. The Webheads communty has many members
        who contribute when they can, but mostly 'listen'. Thanks for introducing
        yourself,

        - Michael C.

        At 12:03 AM 9/5/2003 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hall, Anne, Teresa, Ruth...all of you, Teresa introduced me to this group
        >and I'm finding all your messages and discussions fascinating. I'm an
        >English as a second language support teacher in a British school in
        >Portugal. Our school has been developing our intranet and website (
        >stjulians.com ), but the drama dept have also done a lot of synchronous work
        >and I'm now trying to pick up some more ICT knowledge and skills so that I
        >may do some similar work with my students. At present, I feel very much at
        >sea with all the different kinds of communication which you use, but I have
        >just joined Yahoo messenger, tapped In and the Learning site you've recently
        >begun to use. My other problem is lack of time since I have three children
        >and teach full time and can afford no help with housework, however I've just
        >successfully completed some interesting Open univesity units on teaching
        >through with ICT so am very much inspired, tips welcome!
        >
        >Hoping to get to know you all better, os melhores teresa and best wishes to
        >you all,
        >
        >Antonia, antoniamelvin@...
      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2003
          Sus, that's a nice way of handling the situation- reverse psychology-
          Anne, I always tell my students to at least try to be polite and
          try to avoid swearing- if possible. I also tell them that the people
          that they're going to meet are teachers/educators who are friendly
          and are willing to talk to students. I also give them a list of
          netiquettes and why they should be followed. Perhaps, you could
          include a page for Netiquette, no?

          aiden
        • Aiden Yeh
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2003
            My other problem is lack of time since I have three children
            > and teach full time and can afford no help with housework, however
            I've just
            > successfully completed some interesting Open univesity units on
            teaching
            > through with ICT so am very much inspired, tips welcome!

            ===========
            Antonia, welcome to the club! I'm a mother of 3 and am doing my
            studies, too! AND, I'm also at the stage where I can no longer
            afford a nanny. Ever since my family moved to Kaohsiung, I've been
            doing the household chores by myself. But, my kids and husband,
            Miki, do help around. It's nice to see my children take turns in
            washing the dishes, it's also fun to see them complain ;) Oh, the
            never-ending whinings... Sometimes, I feel that the apartment is too
            small for all 5 of us. Can you just imagine how I spend my weekends?
            Oh, but I don't do any chores on weekends. If maids can have a day
            off, why can't moms?

            Anyway, it's nice to have you here.

            Cheers,

            Aiden
          • Maria Jordano
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
              I enclose you here a post sent to ones of my forums...

              Mar�a

              Message: 1
              Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:05:44 -0000
              From: "joel_josephson" <joel_josephson@...>
              Subject: Early language acquisition Internet research
              tool

              I am involved in initial stages of a project that is
              offering
              educational researchers an Internet and offline
              surveying system of
              early-learners. This will be built round a site that
              offers children,
              initially guided by care-givers, incentives to use the
              Internet and
              computers from an early-age.

              At this stage of the project we are looking for
              educational
              researchers in ICT & learning and/or early
              language acquisition plu

              s teachers and supervisors either to:

              1. Join an advisory board
              or
              2. Build research programs around the data that the
              site will be
              designed to amass

              Outcomes from the project should help to describe:
              1. How children use and adapt to computers and the
              Internet - within
              pre-defined bounderies - through
              online and offline elements
              2. How, why and what is the effect of child-driven
              usage of non-native
              language engaging content

              The site will be able to offer researchers the
              potential to collate a
              very wide range of data but we believe, from larger
              numbers of
              subjects than may be currently available and also from
              a wider
              socio-economic and geographical spectrum.

              Please feel free to pass this message on to anybody
              who you believe
              may be interested in this project. Thank you for your
              assistance.

              Joel H Josephson

              =====

              Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
              Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
              14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

              TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                María,

                Was there any URL included that we can refer to regarding this project? If
                so, I would appreciate it.

                This could be interesting for me, because this year I'm going back to
                teaching 5th graders, that is, first year EFL learners, and I'm thinking of
                introducing ICTs to both my classes.

                Any further info you can give would be very useful.

                Hugs,

                Teresa
              • Anne Fox
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Aiden Yeh"
                  <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:
                  > Sus, that's a nice way of handling the situation- reverse
                  psychology-
                  > Anne, I always tell my students to at least try to be polite and
                  > try to avoid swearing- if possible. I also tell them that the
                  people
                  > that they're going to meet are teachers/educators who are friendly
                  > and are willing to talk to students. I also give them a list of
                  > netiquettes and why they should be followed. Perhaps, you could
                  > include a page for Netiquette, no?
                  >
                  > aiden

                  Yes I looked but didn't find a suitable one. I'll keep on looking. I
                  have a feeling this problem won't continue. I think the person in
                  question is more used to informal chat room behaviour and so it was
                  just a question of pointing out the different expectations. I hope so
                  anyway. Thanks for all your thoughts and Susanne's interesting
                  suggestion.
                  Anne
                • Maria Jordano
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                    Hi Teresa,

                    That is the only information that I have. Don't you
                    have the emnail included? If not, I can ask it for
                    you.

                    King regards,

                    Mar�a

                    =====

                    Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                    Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                    14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                    TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Dafne
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2003
                      Hello Antonia,

                      Welcome to Webheads, sorry my welcome comes so late. I have been in
                      the surroundings for a while working on my dissertation, but I did
                      not want to go on without telling you that it is great to have a
                      another neighbor here in Webheads (I am in Valencia, Spain) :-)

                      Please, take a time to get on our interactive Webheads map at:
                      http://dygonza.bravepages.com/index.html

                      Scroll down the page and click on "view my guest map", there you will
                      get the instructions to post your icon from Portugal including your
                      flag.

                      Best Wishes,

                      Daf
                    • João Fernandes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 8, 2003
                        Hi,
                        Thinking about first year EFL learner and ICTs, I think you will find the following apllication useful, well I did.
                        Clic is a freeware application for the development of multimedia educational activities at http://www.xtec.es/recursos/clic/eng/index.htm

                        Here are some sites I have come about with:
                        http://members.tripod.com/~ESL4Kids/songs/abc.html
                        http://www.child-reading-tips.com/
                        http://www.bbcenglish.com/
                        http://www.esl-images.com/

                        Take care
                        /johnnybeja/

                        Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:
                        María,

                        Was there any URL included that we can refer to regarding this project? If
                        so, I would appreciate it.

                        This could be interesting for me, because this year I'm going back to
                        teaching 5th graders, that is, first year EFL learners, and I'm thinking of
                        introducing ICTs to both my classes.

                        Any further info you can give would be very useful.

                        Hugs,

                        Teresa

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT