Swearing and bad manners

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi Anne!

      Concerning your problem with swearing used in online communicating between
      classes from different cultures, I remember how I met this as a guest
      teacher in a Danish grade seven classroom where we were preparing an email
      exchange project with a class on Vancouver Island. This class was very
      lively and not very disciplined, and they started to write mails with lots
      of words that are not commonly used in the school books. Slang and swearing
      seemed to make part of their preferred freestyle writing in email mode. And,
      as I knew very little about Canadian codex for such lingo, I wanted to help
      the students overcome this immature but understandable urge to use all the
      most colorful expressions they learn all the time from TV and other media
      like computer games. Maybe they were also testing me, as a guest
      authority - how far would they be allowed to go? In Denmark, not all of us
      are paying much attention to this kind of nasty talk - for myself speaking I
      cannot say that I am never swearing either, the tolerance is pretty high.

      Well, I took a piece of chalk and started to write all these words on the
      board, one by one - a very long list. And then I asked them to help me
      translate them into Danish! Some of the boys were very clever with this.
      while some girls started blushing and did not want to speak up. I copied
      all the translated terms on the board, and helped them find expressions to
      match if they did not even know the meaning of a word, This took us about
      fifteen minutes, and then I asked them what they would think if a total
      stranger started to address themselves that way! They understood what I was
      trying to tell, and for the rest of the lesson, we were able to write much
      more decent sentences. Not that they had much to tell - it can be pretty
      frustrating to make friends on demand.

      And the Canadian class? They never even replied to these messages, as they
      ran short of time and had holidays not mathcing ours in Denmark . - but they
      prepared a portfolio with essays and drawings for the Danish class instead.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
        Hi, Sus!

        What a timely, ingenious and effective strategy you improvised. Great work
        and even greater results! Congratulations! I can just imagine you at the
        board and the whole classroom scene! This 'is' a strategy I will never
        forget!

        Anne, maybe you could adopt such a strategy. It did work wonders and seemed
        to have caught the students totally by surprise to the point of making the
        girls feel uncomfortable though in a pedagogical way, I would say,
        considering the language parallelisms and learning that Sus achieved.

        I have never come across such a situation, not even with the blog, maybe
        because I think I tend to suggest that they avoid language that may not be
        proper for the other party/ies involved or that may be offensive to them for
        cultural reasons.

        Anne, I'm sure things will pick up on speed and participation, and I think
        that the need to improvise is a fabulous challenge. I always welcomed it in
        my email exchanges, because it gives us a greater feel for things and a more
        comprehensive experience.

        Best of luck,

        Teresa
      • Antonia Melvin
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
          Hall, Anne, Teresa, Ruth...all of you, Teresa introduced me to this group
          and I'm finding all your messages and discussions fascinating. I'm an
          English as a second language support teacher in a British school in
          Portugal. Our school has been developing our intranet and website (
          stjulians.com ), but the drama dept have also done a lot of synchronous work
          and I'm now trying to pick up some more ICT knowledge and skills so that I
          may do some similar work with my students. At present, I feel very much at
          sea with all the different kinds of communication which you use, but I have
          just joined Yahoo messenger, tapped In and the Learning site you've recently
          begun to use. My other problem is lack of time since I have three children
          and teach full time and can afford no help with housework, however I've just
          successfully completed some interesting Open univesity units on teaching
          through with ICT so am very much inspired, tips welcome!

          Hoping to get to know you all better, os melhores teresa and best wishes to
          you all,

          Antonia, antoniamelvin@...

          > Concerning your problem with swearing used in online communicating between
          > classes from different cultures, I remember how I met this as a guest
          > teacher in a Danish grade seven classroom where we were preparing an
          email
          > exchange project with a class on Vancouver Island. This class was very
          > lively and not very disciplined, and they started to write mails with lots
          > of words that are not commonly used in the school books. Slang and
          swearing
          > seemed to make part of their preferred freestyle writing in email mode.
          And,
          > as I knew very little about Canadian codex for such lingo, I wanted to
          help
          > the students overcome this immature but understandable urge to use all the
          > most colorful expressions they learn all the time from TV and other media
          > like computer games. Maybe they were also testing me, as a guest
          > authority - how far would they be allowed to go? In Denmark, not all of us
          > are paying much attention to this kind of nasty talk - for myself speaking
          > cannot say that I am never swearing either, the tolerance is pretty high.
          >
          > Well, I took a piece of chalk and started to write all these words on the
          > board, one by one - a very long list. And then I asked them to help me
          > translate them into Danish! Some of the boys were very clever with this.
          > while some girls started blushing and did not want to speak up. I copied
          > all the translated terms on the board, and helped them find expressions to
          > match if they did not even know the meaning of a word, This took us about
          > fifteen minutes, and then I asked them what they would think if a total
          > stranger started to address themselves that way! They understood what I
          was
          > trying to tell, and for the rest of the lesson, we were able to write much
          > more decent sentences. Not that they had much to tell - it can be pretty
          > frustrating to make friends on demand.
          >
          > And the Canadian class? They never even replied to these messages, as
          they
          > ran short of time and had holidays not mathcing ours in Denmark . - but
          they
          > prepared a portfolio with essays and drawings for the Danish class
          instead.

          > For more information:

          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2003
            Welcome to Webheads Antonia.

            Don't worry about the lack of time. The Webheads communty has many members
            who contribute when they can, but mostly 'listen'. Thanks for introducing
            yourself,

            - Michael C.

            At 12:03 AM 9/5/2003 +0100, you wrote:
            >Hall, Anne, Teresa, Ruth...all of you, Teresa introduced me to this group
            >and I'm finding all your messages and discussions fascinating. I'm an
            >English as a second language support teacher in a British school in
            >Portugal. Our school has been developing our intranet and website (
            >stjulians.com ), but the drama dept have also done a lot of synchronous work
            >and I'm now trying to pick up some more ICT knowledge and skills so that I
            >may do some similar work with my students. At present, I feel very much at
            >sea with all the different kinds of communication which you use, but I have
            >just joined Yahoo messenger, tapped In and the Learning site you've recently
            >begun to use. My other problem is lack of time since I have three children
            >and teach full time and can afford no help with housework, however I've just
            >successfully completed some interesting Open univesity units on teaching
            >through with ICT so am very much inspired, tips welcome!
            >
            >Hoping to get to know you all better, os melhores teresa and best wishes to
            >you all,
            >
            >Antonia, antoniamelvin@...
          • Aiden Yeh
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2003
              Sus, that's a nice way of handling the situation- reverse psychology-
              Anne, I always tell my students to at least try to be polite and
              try to avoid swearing- if possible. I also tell them that the people
              that they're going to meet are teachers/educators who are friendly
              and are willing to talk to students. I also give them a list of
              netiquettes and why they should be followed. Perhaps, you could
              include a page for Netiquette, no?

              aiden
            • Aiden Yeh
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2003
                My other problem is lack of time since I have three children
                > and teach full time and can afford no help with housework, however
                I've just
                > successfully completed some interesting Open univesity units on
                teaching
                > through with ICT so am very much inspired, tips welcome!

                ===========
                Antonia, welcome to the club! I'm a mother of 3 and am doing my
                studies, too! AND, I'm also at the stage where I can no longer
                afford a nanny. Ever since my family moved to Kaohsiung, I've been
                doing the household chores by myself. But, my kids and husband,
                Miki, do help around. It's nice to see my children take turns in
                washing the dishes, it's also fun to see them complain ;) Oh, the
                never-ending whinings... Sometimes, I feel that the apartment is too
                small for all 5 of us. Can you just imagine how I spend my weekends?
                Oh, but I don't do any chores on weekends. If maids can have a day
                off, why can't moms?

                Anyway, it's nice to have you here.

                Cheers,

                Aiden
              • Maria Jordano
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                  I enclose you here a post sent to ones of my forums...

                  Mar�a

                  Message: 1
                  Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:05:44 -0000
                  From: "joel_josephson" <joel_josephson@...>
                  Subject: Early language acquisition Internet research
                  tool

                  I am involved in initial stages of a project that is
                  offering
                  educational researchers an Internet and offline
                  surveying system of
                  early-learners. This will be built round a site that
                  offers children,
                  initially guided by care-givers, incentives to use the
                  Internet and
                  computers from an early-age.

                  At this stage of the project we are looking for
                  educational
                  researchers in ICT & learning and/or early
                  language acquisition plu

                  s teachers and supervisors either to:

                  1. Join an advisory board
                  or
                  2. Build research programs around the data that the
                  site will be
                  designed to amass

                  Outcomes from the project should help to describe:
                  1. How children use and adapt to computers and the
                  Internet - within
                  pre-defined bounderies - through
                  online and offline elements
                  2. How, why and what is the effect of child-driven
                  usage of non-native
                  language engaging content

                  The site will be able to offer researchers the
                  potential to collate a
                  very wide range of data but we believe, from larger
                  numbers of
                  subjects than may be currently available and also from
                  a wider
                  socio-economic and geographical spectrum.

                  Please feel free to pass this message on to anybody
                  who you believe
                  may be interested in this project. Thank you for your
                  assistance.

                  Joel H Josephson

                  =====

                  Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                  Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                  14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                  TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                    María,

                    Was there any URL included that we can refer to regarding this project? If
                    so, I would appreciate it.

                    This could be interesting for me, because this year I'm going back to
                    teaching 5th graders, that is, first year EFL learners, and I'm thinking of
                    introducing ICTs to both my classes.

                    Any further info you can give would be very useful.

                    Hugs,

                    Teresa
                  • Anne Fox
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Aiden Yeh"
                      <aidenyeh@y...> wrote:
                      > Sus, that's a nice way of handling the situation- reverse
                      psychology-
                      > Anne, I always tell my students to at least try to be polite and
                      > try to avoid swearing- if possible. I also tell them that the
                      people
                      > that they're going to meet are teachers/educators who are friendly
                      > and are willing to talk to students. I also give them a list of
                      > netiquettes and why they should be followed. Perhaps, you could
                      > include a page for Netiquette, no?
                      >
                      > aiden

                      Yes I looked but didn't find a suitable one. I'll keep on looking. I
                      have a feeling this problem won't continue. I think the person in
                      question is more used to informal chat room behaviour and so it was
                      just a question of pointing out the different expectations. I hope so
                      anyway. Thanks for all your thoughts and Susanne's interesting
                      suggestion.
                      Anne
                    • Maria Jordano
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 2003
                        Hi Teresa,

                        That is the only information that I have. Don't you
                        have the emnail included? If not, I can ask it for
                        you.

                        King regards,

                        Mar�a

                        =====

                        Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
                        Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
                        14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

                        TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • Dafne
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 7, 2003
                          Hello Antonia,

                          Welcome to Webheads, sorry my welcome comes so late. I have been in
                          the surroundings for a while working on my dissertation, but I did
                          not want to go on without telling you that it is great to have a
                          another neighbor here in Webheads (I am in Valencia, Spain) :-)

                          Please, take a time to get on our interactive Webheads map at:
                          http://dygonza.bravepages.com/index.html

                          Scroll down the page and click on "view my guest map", there you will
                          get the instructions to post your icon from Portugal including your
                          flag.

                          Best Wishes,

                          Daf
                        • João Fernandes
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 8, 2003
                            Hi,
                            Thinking about first year EFL learner and ICTs, I think you will find the following apllication useful, well I did.
                            Clic is a freeware application for the development of multimedia educational activities at http://www.xtec.es/recursos/clic/eng/index.htm

                            Here are some sites I have come about with:
                            http://members.tripod.com/~ESL4Kids/songs/abc.html
                            http://www.child-reading-tips.com/
                            http://www.bbcenglish.com/
                            http://www.esl-images.com/

                            Take care
                            /johnnybeja/

                            Teresa Almeida d'Eca <tmvaz@...> wrote:
                            María,

                            Was there any URL included that we can refer to regarding this project? If
                            so, I would appreciate it.

                            This could be interesting for me, because this year I'm going back to
                            teaching 5th graders, that is, first year EFL learners, and I'm thinking of
                            introducing ICTs to both my classes.

                            Any further info you can give would be very useful.

                            Hugs,

                            Teresa

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT