Re: Pronunciation software

  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      Aiden--
      I know of a couple:

      One is The American Accent Program (by the Ford
      Language institute) on tape or CD, and I didn't find
      it particularly good--mostly unimaginative drill and
      grill and not particularly focused on the needs of
      ESL/EFL learners:
      http://www.optimabooks.com/ford.htm

      The best I've seen is by a Canadian group, and the CD
      is called
      Pronunciation Power
      http://www.englishelearning.com/en/
      It's pretty reasonably priced, too, and can be run
      from CD or via their Website.

      If money is no object, ELLIS has Master Pronunciation.
      http://www.ellis.com/products/academic/masterpron/

      The latter two both have nice practice features,
      including wave form representations of target and
      student production, short videos of mouth movement,
      drills on minimal pairs, etc.
      --Elizabeth

      >Does any of you know of any pronunciation/speech >>
      >analysis software
      > that is available in the market?
      >
      > Aiden

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
        Dear Aiden,

        You might be interested in these 2 articles:

        "Speech Recognition Software: Its Possible Impact on the Language Learning Classroom" by Gina Mikel Petrie

        "Quick Placement Test on CD" reviewed by Andrzej Zychla

        at: http://www.iatefl.org.pl/call/j_soft14.htm#software

        Hugs,

        Daf

        Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:
        Aiden--
        I know of a couple:

        One is The American Accent Program (by the Ford
        Language institute) on tape or CD, and I didn't find
        it particularly good--mostly unimaginative drill and
        grill and not particularly focused on the needs of
        ESL/EFL learners:
        http://www.optimabooks.com/ford.htm

        The best I've seen is by a Canadian group, and the CD
        is called
        Pronunciation Power
        http://www.englishelearning.com/en/
        It's pretty reasonably priced, too, and can be run
        from CD or via their Website.

        If money is no object, ELLIS has Master Pronunciation.
        http://www.ellis.com/products/academic/masterpron/

        The latter two both have nice practice features,
        including wave form representations of target and
        student production, short videos of mouth movement,
        drills on minimal pairs, etc.
        --Elizabeth

        >Does any of you know of any pronunciation/speech >>
        >analysis software
        > that is available in the market?
        >
        > Aiden

      • Aiden Yeh
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
          Daf, Elizabeth and Arlyn,

          Thanks for the tips, links and articles. Very useful, indeed. I like
          the articles, Daf, particularly the one on quick placement test, but
          am not sure if the product is available for individuals, too. The
          pronunciation power looks basic and my students may not find it
          appealing. The auralog caught my attention and sent my inquiry. I'm
          still awaiting response. auralog does not have international
          shipping, but I could always ask my sister in CA to get it for me,
          so it isn't really a problem. I just hope that auralog answers my
          questions quickly so i could make a decision whether to buy or not.

          Aiden

          p.s.

          Has anyone tried quick placement test from oxford?

          a.