Re: communication tools

  • Ismail Fayed
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
      Dear Fernanda,

      This site is pretty neat. I like it, especially the Episode part. I
      still need to learn Portugese first :)

      I am very interested to know more about the planning and implementation
      of this program in your country. It is quite a good initiative that
      could be relevant to some of the educational programs here in Egypt too.
      If there are more details that you can share with us about the program
      in English, I would really appreciate knowing more about it.

      Fernanda Rodrigues wrote:
      <As I mentioned yesterday in our Sunday meeting, I'd like your advice
      on
      communication tools, as I suppose some of you have tried more tools
      than
      me and have evaluated them in more detail.
      This is the context: I've been collaborating with CANTIC here in
      Portugal for some time now giving local support and building materials

      ( http://www.prof2000.pt/users/estante).
      CANTIC is a service connected to the Ministry of Education, where a
      team
      of teachers evaluates children and young people with motor
      disabilities
      or chronic diseases which prevent them from going to school. They
      study
      the best equipment to make these children interact with the rest of
      the
      class at school by means of a computer, while they are at home or in
      the hospital.
      One of their projects is called TeleAula (teleclass), which uses a
      videoconferencing system - PictureTell Live200...>

      Best regards,
      Ismail.
    • Fernanda Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
        Dear Ismail
        I'm afraid I don't have institutional information in English. CANTIC has
        a website, but it is in Portuguese:
        http://www.cantic.rcts.pt

        This program has not been implemented in the whole country, but mainly
        in the Lisbon area (Direcção Regional de Educação de Lisboa); for
        example, children in the hospital have been involved in Teleaula for
        several years; the same happens with students at home suffering from
        severe physical disabilities or chronic disease. Basically, when parents
        or one school contacts CANTIC, an evaluation is done (usually in the
        student's home) by the Cantic team to determine if the child/student
        can operate the computer (keyboard and mouse) without additional devices,
        for example a track ball or a virtual keyboard. There are some pictures
        here, but again the site is in Portuguese:

        http://www.prof2000.pt/prof2000/agora6/agora3.html

        After that, if there are videoconferencing systems available (Picture
        Tell ) one is installed at the student's home and the other in a
        computer at school (in the room where his classes will take place). ISDN
        connections have been used so far. Happily the process is not very
        bureaucratic, the main problem is lack or resources to solve everything
        in due time: teacher training, connections that no longer work, no
        videoconferencing systems availbale to attend to new cases, and so
        on.

        What I'm looking for now is a cmc tool that might replace Picture tell
        without costs, because at present there are no systems available.

        I hope I have answered your doubts. If not, feel free to ask again, and
        I'll try to be more clear.

        Fernanda

        On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:08:09 +0300
        "Ismail Fayed" <ifayed@...> wrote:

        > Dear Fernanda,
        >

        > I am very interested to know more about the planning and implementation
        > of this program in your country. It is quite a good initiative that
        > could be relevant to some of the educational programs here in Egypt too.
        > If there are more details that you can share with us about the program
        > in English, I would really appreciate knowing more about it.
        >

        > Fernanda Rodrigues wrote:
        > <As I mentioned yesterday in our Sunday meeting, I'd like your advice
        > on
        > communication tools, as I suppose some of you have tried more tools
        > than
        > me and have evaluated them in more detail.
        > This is the context: I've been collaborating with CANTIC here in
        > Portugal for some time now giving local support and building materials
        >
        > ( http://www.prof2000.pt/users/estante).
        > CANTIC is a service connected to the Ministry of Education, where a
        > team
        > of teachers evaluates children and young people with motor
        > disabilities
        > or chronic diseases which prevent them from going to school. They
        > study
        > the best equipment to make these children interact with the rest of
        > the
        > class at school by means of a computer, while they are at home or in
        > the hospital.
        > One of their projects is called TeleAula (teleclass), which uses a
        > videoconferencing system - PictureTell Live200...>
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Ismail.

        > For more information:
        >
        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

        Fernanda Rodrigues
        Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
        Setúbal
        http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
      • Ismail Fayed
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2003
          Dear Fernanda,

          I really like the idea of helping these disable students and trying to
          make all efforts for providing them with all kind of "communication"
          tools. The information you provided is very valuable and the idea is
          genius too. I might try to present it to other colleagues in Egypt who
          would be able to implement it in the same way or differently.

          By the way, I used Babel Fish to translate it into English and will
          read it all.

          Thanks again for your reply,
          Ismail.