communication tools

  • Fernanda Rodrigues
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
      Dear Webheads
      As I mentioned yesterday in our Sunday meeting, I'd like your advice on
      communication tools, as I suppose some of you have tried more tools than
      me and have evaluated them in more detail.
      This is the context: I've been collaborating with CANTIC here in
      Portugal for some time now giving local support and building materials
      ( http://www.prof2000.pt/users/estante).
      CANTIC is a service connected to the Ministry of Education, where a team
      of teachers evaluates children and young people with motor disabilities
      or chronic diseases which prevent them from going to school. They study
      the best equipment to make these children interact with the rest of the
      class at school by means of a computer, while they are at home or in the hospital.
      One of their projects is called TeleAula (teleclass), which uses a
      videoconferencing system - PictureTell Live200.
      In my school we had 2 students using this system, one 2 years ago, and
      one last year, who will go on using the system this year. But we have a
      new case, a girl suffering from a chronic disease who can't go to school
      for very long periods. The problem is that CANTIC has no
      videoconferencing system available at the moment (they are rather
      expensive) and I thought we might do the same with one of these tools we
      have been testing.
      PictureTell enables sound, video (it has a small camera), collaborative
      work (it has a whiteboard) and also allows sending and receiving files.
      You can also take snapshots of anything you have in your desktop and
      paste it on the whiteboard ( I noticed yesterday that elluminate also
      enables that).
      So I'd like to use a tool that if posible has the same characteristics
      of PictureTell all in one, to avoid having to use different tools at the
      same time. And free, of course.
      The main problem with very sophisticated tools or several tools at the
      same time is that some of the teachers (or most of them) who have the
      class are not familiar with computers, or are just used to plain tasks
      like using a wordprocessor or something simple.
      Can you help?
      Sorry for the long explanation.

      Fernanda Rodrigues
      Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
      Setúbal
      http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
    • Ismail Fayed
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        Dear Fernanda,

        This site is pretty neat. I like it, especially the Episode part. I
        still need to learn Portugese first :)

        I am very interested to know more about the planning and implementation
        of this program in your country. It is quite a good initiative that
        could be relevant to some of the educational programs here in Egypt too.
        If there are more details that you can share with us about the program
        in English, I would really appreciate knowing more about it.

        Fernanda Rodrigues wrote:
[...]

        Best regards,
        Ismail.
      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
          Dear Ismail
          I'm afraid I don't have institutional information in English. CANTIC has
          a website, but it is in Portuguese:
          http://www.cantic.rcts.pt

          This program has not been implemented in the whole country, but mainly
          in the Lisbon area (Direcção Regional de Educação de Lisboa); for
          example, children in the hospital have been involved in Teleaula for
          several years; the same happens with students at home suffering from
          severe physical disabilities or chronic disease. Basically, when parents
          or one school contacts CANTIC, an evaluation is done (usually in the
          student's home) by the Cantic team to determine if the child/student
          can operate the computer (keyboard and mouse) without additional devices,
          for example a track ball or a virtual keyboard. There are some pictures
          here, but again the site is in Portuguese:

          http://www.prof2000.pt/prof2000/agora6/agora3.html

          After that, if there are videoconferencing systems available (Picture
          Tell ) one is installed at the student's home and the other in a
          computer at school (in the room where his classes will take place). ISDN
          connections have been used so far. Happily the process is not very
          bureaucratic, the main problem is lack or resources to solve everything
          in due time: teacher training, connections that no longer work, no
          videoconferencing systems availbale to attend to new cases, and so
          on.

          What I'm looking for now is a cmc tool that might replace Picture tell
          without costs, because at present there are no systems available.

          I hope I have answered your doubts. If not, feel free to ask again, and
          I'll try to be more clear.

          Fernanda

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2003
            Dear Fernanda,

            I really like the idea of helping these disable students and trying to
            make all efforts for providing them with all kind of "communication"
            tools. The information you provided is very valuable and the idea is
            genius too. I might try to present it to other colleagues in Egypt who
            would be able to implement it in the same way or differently.

            By the way, I used Babel Fish to translate it into English and will
            read it all.

            Thanks again for your reply,
            Ismail.