Re: [evonline2002_webheads] elluminate

  • Fernanda Rodrigues
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi Michael
      Yes, I also changed the value for my connection, but it didn't work...
      perhaps I should have closed the window and connect again. Anyway, I have
      a cable connection - 128 Kb, though it tends to be unstable sometimes.
      I hope next time I can hear everyone.
      Thanks :)

      Fernanda

      On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:58:32 +0930
      Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:

      > Fernanda - I'm glad you finally heard something! This sounds like the
      > result of a slow connection. If there is network congestion or not enough
      > bandwidth Elluminate collects all the information together and then sends
      > it in packets. You never actually lose any information (you eventually hear
      > everything) but usually the wait between packets is a few seconds. It
      > sounds like you were waiting several minutes, even more. What was your
      > connection speed?
      >
      > There is a setting in Elluminate where you configure it to the connection
      > speed you have. It's under the file > connection menu. Maybe you can try
      > that the next time you're in there?
      >
      > - Michael C.
    • Fernanda Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        Dear Webheads
        As I mentioned yesterday in our Sunday meeting, I'd like your advice on
        communication tools, as I suppose some of you have tried more tools than
        me and have evaluated them in more detail.
        This is the context: I've been collaborating with CANTIC here in
        Portugal for some time now giving local support and building materials
        ( http://www.prof2000.pt/users/estante).
        CANTIC is a service connected to the Ministry of Education, where a team
        of teachers evaluates children and young people with motor disabilities
        or chronic diseases which prevent them from going to school. They study
        the best equipment to make these children interact with the rest of the
        class at school by means of a computer, while they are at home or in the hospital.
        One of their projects is called TeleAula (teleclass), which uses a
        videoconferencing system - PictureTell Live200.
        In my school we had 2 students using this system, one 2 years ago, and
        one last year, who will go on using the system this year. But we have a
        new case, a girl suffering from a chronic disease who can't go to school
        for very long periods. The problem is that CANTIC has no
        videoconferencing system available at the moment (they are rather
        expensive) and I thought we might do the same with one of these tools we
        have been testing.
        PictureTell enables sound, video (it has a small camera), collaborative
        work (it has a whiteboard) and also allows sending and receiving files.
        You can also take snapshots of anything you have in your desktop and
        paste it on the whiteboard ( I noticed yesterday that elluminate also
        enables that).
        So I'd like to use a tool that if posible has the same characteristics
        of PictureTell all in one, to avoid having to use different tools at the
        same time. And free, of course.
        The main problem with very sophisticated tools or several tools at the
        same time is that some of the teachers (or most of them) who have the
        class are not familiar with computers, or are just used to plain tasks
        like using a wordprocessor or something simple.
        Can you help?
        Sorry for the long explanation.

        Fernanda Rodrigues
        Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
        Setúbal
        http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
      • Ismail Fayed
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          Dear Fernanda,

          This site is pretty neat. I like it, especially the Episode part. I
          still need to learn Portugese first :)

          I am very interested to know more about the planning and implementation
          of this program in your country. It is quite a good initiative that
          could be relevant to some of the educational programs here in Egypt too.
          If there are more details that you can share with us about the program
          in English, I would really appreciate knowing more about it.

          Fernanda Rodrigues wrote:
[...]

          Best regards,
          Ismail.
        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
            Dear Ismail
            I'm afraid I don't have institutional information in English. CANTIC has
            a website, but it is in Portuguese:
            http://www.cantic.rcts.pt

            This program has not been implemented in the whole country, but mainly
            in the Lisbon area (Direcção Regional de Educação de Lisboa); for
            example, children in the hospital have been involved in Teleaula for
            several years; the same happens with students at home suffering from
            severe physical disabilities or chronic disease. Basically, when parents
            or one school contacts CANTIC, an evaluation is done (usually in the
            student's home) by the Cantic team to determine if the child/student
            can operate the computer (keyboard and mouse) without additional devices,
            for example a track ball or a virtual keyboard. There are some pictures
            here, but again the site is in Portuguese:

            http://www.prof2000.pt/prof2000/agora6/agora3.html

            After that, if there are videoconferencing systems available (Picture
            Tell ) one is installed at the student's home and the other in a
            computer at school (in the room where his classes will take place). ISDN
            connections have been used so far. Happily the process is not very
            bureaucratic, the main problem is lack or resources to solve everything
            in due time: teacher training, connections that no longer work, no
            videoconferencing systems availbale to attend to new cases, and so
            on.

            What I'm looking for now is a cmc tool that might replace Picture tell
            without costs, because at present there are no systems available.

            I hope I have answered your doubts. If not, feel free to ask again, and
            I'll try to be more clear.

            Fernanda

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2003
              Dear Fernanda,

              I really like the idea of helping these disable students and trying to
              make all efforts for providing them with all kind of "communication"
              tools. The information you provided is very valuable and the idea is
              genius too. I might try to present it to other colleagues in Egypt who
              would be able to implement it in the same way or differently.

              By the way, I used Babel Fish to translate it into English and will
              read it all.

              Thanks again for your reply,
              Ismail.