elluminate

  • Fernanda Rodrigues
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hello all
      I enjoyed our session with elluminate, though I could not hear you. I
      can't explain what happened, maybe someone with more practice with the
      tool can do it, but I went on trying this and that when everybody had
      already left and suddenly I started to hear Michael singing and playing
      his guitar, and part of the following conversation. I'm afraid I don't
      know how I did it, and can't reproduce it. What a shame!

      Fernanda
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
        Fernanda - I'm glad you finally heard something! This sounds like the
        result of a slow connection. If there is network congestion or not enough
        bandwidth Elluminate collects all the information together and then sends
        it in packets. You never actually lose any information (you eventually hear
        everything) but usually the wait between packets is a few seconds. It
        sounds like you were waiting several minutes, even more. What was your
        connection speed?

        There is a setting in Elluminate where you configure it to the connection
        speed you have. It's under the file > connection menu. Maybe you can try
        that the next time you're in there?

        - Michael C.

        At 03:38 PM 8/31/2003 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hello all
        >I enjoyed our session with elluminate, though I could not hear you. I
        >can't explain what happened, maybe someone with more practice with the
        >tool can do it, but I went on trying this and that when everybody had
        >already left and suddenly I started to hear Michael singing and playing
        >his guitar, and part of the following conversation. I'm afraid I don't
        >know how I did it, and can't reproduce it. What a shame!
        >

        >Fernanda

        >For more information:

        >extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
          Hi Michael
          Yes, I also changed the value for my connection, but it didn't work...
          perhaps I should have closed the window and connect again. Anyway, I have
          a cable connection - 128 Kb, though it tends to be unstable sometimes.
          I hope next time I can hear everyone.
          Thanks :)

          Fernanda

          On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:58:32 +0930
          Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:

          > Fernanda - I'm glad you finally heard something! This sounds like the
          > result of a slow connection. If there is network congestion or not enough
          > bandwidth Elluminate collects all the information together and then sends
          > it in packets. You never actually lose any information (you eventually hear
          > everything) but usually the wait between packets is a few seconds. It
          > sounds like you were waiting several minutes, even more. What was your
          > connection speed?
          >
          > There is a setting in Elluminate where you configure it to the connection
          > speed you have. It's under the file > connection menu. Maybe you can try
          > that the next time you're in there?
          >
          > - Michael C.
        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            Dear Webheads
            As I mentioned yesterday in our Sunday meeting, I'd like your advice on
            communication tools, as I suppose some of you have tried more tools than
            me and have evaluated them in more detail.
            This is the context: I've been collaborating with CANTIC here in
            Portugal for some time now giving local support and building materials
            ( http://www.prof2000.pt/users/estante).
            CANTIC is a service connected to the Ministry of Education, where a team
            of teachers evaluates children and young people with motor disabilities
            or chronic diseases which prevent them from going to school. They study
            the best equipment to make these children interact with the rest of the
            class at school by means of a computer, while they are at home or in the hospital.
            One of their projects is called TeleAula (teleclass), which uses a
            videoconferencing system - PictureTell Live200.
            In my school we had 2 students using this system, one 2 years ago, and
            one last year, who will go on using the system this year. But we have a
            new case, a girl suffering from a chronic disease who can't go to school
            for very long periods. The problem is that CANTIC has no
            videoconferencing system available at the moment (they are rather
            expensive) and I thought we might do the same with one of these tools we
            have been testing.
            PictureTell enables sound, video (it has a small camera), collaborative
            work (it has a whiteboard) and also allows sending and receiving files.
            You can also take snapshots of anything you have in your desktop and
            paste it on the whiteboard ( I noticed yesterday that elluminate also
            enables that).
            So I'd like to use a tool that if posible has the same characteristics
            of PictureTell all in one, to avoid having to use different tools at the
            same time. And free, of course.
            The main problem with very sophisticated tools or several tools at the
            same time is that some of the teachers (or most of them) who have the
            class are not familiar with computers, or are just used to plain tasks
            like using a wordprocessor or something simple.
            Can you help?
            Sorry for the long explanation.

            Fernanda Rodrigues
            Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
            Setúbal
            http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
          • Ismail Fayed
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
              Dear Fernanda,

              This site is pretty neat. I like it, especially the Episode part. I
              still need to learn Portugese first :)

              I am very interested to know more about the planning and implementation
              of this program in your country. It is quite a good initiative that
              could be relevant to some of the educational programs here in Egypt too.
              If there are more details that you can share with us about the program
              in English, I would really appreciate knowing more about it.

              Fernanda Rodrigues wrote:
[...]

              Best regards,
              Ismail.
            • Fernanda Rodrigues
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 2003
                Dear Ismail
                I'm afraid I don't have institutional information in English. CANTIC has
                a website, but it is in Portuguese:
                http://www.cantic.rcts.pt

                This program has not been implemented in the whole country, but mainly
                in the Lisbon area (Direcção Regional de Educação de Lisboa); for
                example, children in the hospital have been involved in Teleaula for
                several years; the same happens with students at home suffering from
                severe physical disabilities or chronic disease. Basically, when parents
                or one school contacts CANTIC, an evaluation is done (usually in the
                student's home) by the Cantic team to determine if the child/student
                can operate the computer (keyboard and mouse) without additional devices,
                for example a track ball or a virtual keyboard. There are some pictures
                here, but again the site is in Portuguese:

                http://www.prof2000.pt/prof2000/agora6/agora3.html

                After that, if there are videoconferencing systems available (Picture
                Tell ) one is installed at the student's home and the other in a
                computer at school (in the room where his classes will take place). ISDN
                connections have been used so far. Happily the process is not very
                bureaucratic, the main problem is lack or resources to solve everything
                in due time: teacher training, connections that no longer work, no
                videoconferencing systems availbale to attend to new cases, and so
                on.

                What I'm looking for now is a cmc tool that might replace Picture tell
                without costs, because at present there are no systems available.

                I hope I have answered your doubts. If not, feel free to ask again, and
                I'll try to be more clear.

                Fernanda

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2003
                  Dear Fernanda,

                  I really like the idea of helping these disable students and trying to
                  make all efforts for providing them with all kind of "communication"
                  tools. The information you provided is very valuable and the idea is
                  genius too. I might try to present it to other colleagues in Egypt who
                  would be able to implement it in the same way or differently.

                  By the way, I used Babel Fish to translate it into English and will
                  read it all.

                  Thanks again for your reply,
                  Ismail.