On-line Meetings

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hello Everybody,
      Two weeks ago, Ismail announced a chat sessions with his Colleagues
      from Egypt. Due to different factors it could not be held. This
      afternoon Ismail, Aiden and I were chatting and discussing this
      event. This is what Ismail said:

      "We are trying to prepare an online session where the colleagues in
      the Webheads group and another Egyptian group for Ed. TEch. can meet
      together and some of us may present in that event through a web cam
      or audio...(...)...it is generally an online thing, that is not so
      familiar to many Egyptians yet, for Educational purposes"

      I suggested to have the session at Tapped In, so the teachers can
      learn about a MOO environment, and we could use the projection
      feature to present the material. But since Ismail is still having
      problems to connect to TI, we discussed the possibility of using
      voice chat and webcams with Yahoo. But the problem is that Yahoo only
      allows for two parties to broadcast their cameras. I have problems
      using Netmeeting probably due to firewalls (according to Vance
      diagnostic).
      Finally, we decided to share our concerns about the best way to carry
      on with this project with you all, in order to hear your comments on
      the topic.
      Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,
      Dafne, Ismail and Aiden
    • Teresa Almeida d'Eça
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2002
        Hi Dafne; Is mael and Aiden!

        I suggest exploring iVisit and taking its Quick Tour. Claire Bradin
        Siskin (Director of the Language Lab of the University of Pittsburgh)
        invited me to take part in a teleconference last October and that's
        what we used. I remember that at a certain point I was chatting with
        people in Israel, the US, France, etc. Anybody can create a room (I
        think that's it!) and have a password. Anyway, it's a possibility.

        Some of us have already tried it. It has pure chat, voice chat and web
        cam chat.

        That's my two cents for now. I, too, am going to explore it better
        over the weekend.

        Best to everybody, Teresa

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > FREE COLLEGE MONEY
        > CLICK HERE to search
        > 600,000 scholarships!
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/FeXolB/TM
        >
        > For more information:

        http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads
        .htm

        > Syllabus:

        http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus
        .htm

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
          I do have a couple of suggestions. First of all, there are a number of events coming up which all webheads are welcome to attend. If Egyptian TESOL would like to formalize participation, we could make any of these events a joint meeting of Webheads and Egypt TESOL:

          - TESOL Arabia 8th Annual International Conference: "Critical Reflection and Practice" http://tesolarabia.org/conference - March 20-22, 2002, Hilton Hotel, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, I will present a demonstration at the Technology Fair entitled "Webheads in Action: Community development online", scheduled Thursday, March 21, at 06:00 GMT

          - At CALICO 2002 Annual Symposium: Creating Virtual Language Learning Communities - http://calico.org/CALICO02 March 26 - March 30, 2002, University of California, Davis, "Webheads: online community building since 1998" has been accepted and scheduled for Saturday, March 30th, at 19:00 GMT (11:00 a.m PST).

          - At TESOL 2002: Language and the Human Spirit - http://www.tesol.org/ April 9-13, 2002, Salt Lake City, Utah, Webheads have been asked to take part in a "special internet fair session for classic (or tried and true, reliable, amazing, memorable, etc.) previous internet fair presentations.". The Classic IF session is scheduled for Thursday and Friday afternoon from 2:30 - 3:30 with option to go to 4:30, Salt Lake City time. (I think that's around 21:30 to 23:30 GMT; haven't checked yet)

          dygonza wrote:

          > This is what Ismail said:
          >
          > "We are trying to prepare an online session where the colleagues in
          > the Webheads group and another Egyptian group for Ed. TEch. can meet
          > together and some of us may present in that event through a web cam
          > or audio...(...)...it is generally an online thing, that is not so
          > familiar to many Egyptians yet, for Educational purposes"
          >
          > <snip> we discussed the possibility of using
          > voice chat and webcams with Yahoo. But the problem is that Yahoo only
          > allows for two parties to broadcast their cameras. I have problems
          > using Netmeeting probably due to firewalls (according to Vance
          > diagnostic).

          It is true that Netmeeting will only allow one-to-one broadcasts (for free; it's possible with special server software). Yahoo as far as I know will allow the broadcast of multiple cameras as well as support a multi-party voice chat conference, so this IS an option, though it tends to slow down as you pile on users. iVisit also supports multiple partners but in our experience, we have not found it to be reliable for multiple participants. Another client we might try is http://www.groove.net Michael and I tried it one on one and found it pretty good for voice and coordinated browsing.

          Incidentally, another client that Webheads have used and liked and that supports multiple text-based users well is the Palace. Michael and I have talked about making the installation file available in case it can't be found at the usual download sites. It's only text chat and it's subject to intrusion, but has many compelling features.

          There's more information on chat clients here:
          http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/software.htm

          It's always best to experiment before settling on a client. One problem I've had and noticed with others is that without a community such as ours, it's hard to find partners to experiment with, and calls on the 'lists' to arrange online meetings often fall on deaf ears. We have a unique opportunity here to utilize each other's willingness to interact, so let's take advantage of it.