A message for Vance's blogging students

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11 2:09 PM
      Hi Vance,

      as you know, I'm in Denmark and studying how to use online tools and
      communication in education.
      I've enjoyed follow your blogging class at the Petroleum Institute and by
      reading some blogs from your studdents, I did learn quite a bit about their
      lives and interests. I will look forward to learn more about their visit to
      the refinery!

      I do have a few questions to ask:
      1. Is the Summer school at the Petroleum Institute part of your obligatory
      school studies curriculum, or did you decide to learn more in the holidays
      while others are on vacation?

      2. How many years do you need to study to become a petroleum engineer?

      3. Will you have to pay an expensive school fee to go to university in the
      United Arab Emirates, or is higher education free for all?

      As I was visiting Norway, another Petroleum-rich country last week, I met
      some workers from Norsk Hydro at Porsgrund and wanted to show you a
      relevant homepage about Norwegian petroleum refinery. Hydro claims to be one
      of the four greatest off-shore refineries in the world! Have a look and
      explore this homepage on your own; you could always use your blog to share
      what you find, even if classes are coming to an end:
      http://www.hydrooilandenergy.com/en/our_activities/exploration/

      Yours, Sus Nyrop in Denmark
      (a friend of Vance)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13 6:35 AM
        Susanne and Chris,

        Thanks very much for responding to my students' blogs. I posted your
        reactions at http://vance-pi.blogspot.com/ and showed them to my
        students in class. They were REALLY PLEASED that someone had read
        their blogs and responded. I told them they could answer Susanne's
        questions in the CALL lab after class. At least one did:

        http://ahmedalhosani.blogspot.com/

        Regarding Mark Warschauer's tragic situation, he has directed people
        to Mikey's site at http://members.cox.net/michaelkai for instructions
        on how those concerned might contribute.

        Postings on this topic so far have been circumspect but let's caution
        each other not to speculate about what happened on a public list such
        as this. If you have facts to report, fine, but speculation can
        cause damage inadvetently. I just thought I'd better say that.

        I'm flying to the states tonight and will hopefully rejoin my wife in
        Abu Dhabi at the end of the month. I hope to be back in regular
        contact in September.

        Vance

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne Nyrop"