Re: Blog on!

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
      In most emails I've written this summer I've started out apologizing
      for not paying attention as I have in the past. With WIA I feel
      almost like a boundary member this summer.

      The reason is that I've had to do a quick-step to preserve my
      lifestyle here in Abu Dhabi, with success I think, and in a week I'll
      be in the USA driving my son around the place where he proposes to go
      to college, south of Los Angeles in the Irvine / San Diego area in a
      state that's about to implode on its own hype.

      That aside, I've just read the postings on blogs and would now like
      to introduce you to my secondary / high school students in the UAE
      who have been working on their blogs the past few weeks (they're in a
      summer program in the tertiary institute where I teach). You can
      meet them here:

      http://vance-pi.blogspot.com

      Blogging has been an excellent way to instil a motivating sense of
      audience in my students, whose writing abilities were weak to begin
      with. But with my help they want to get their blogs right and get
      them out there, and they're starting to accomplish that, and in a
      class where I assign no homework, a lot of them have been going to
      the computer lab after hours to work on their blogs. Nice when the
      foot-vote goes your way!

      In my class web page (linked from my blog) you can link to their
      blogs and photos, where available, and you can also see that some of
      the WIA community building techniques carry over nicely to the f2f
      environment.

      http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/pi/2003summer.htm

      Hope you summer is winding down nicely and thanks for having a look,

      Vance

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      <ehansonsmi@y...> wrote:
      > Maria--Congrats on your blog. I will try to post a
      > message there soon.
      > Tere--I didn't have a problem with width. Maybe Graham
      > has his default font set to too large a type?
      > --Elizabeth
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
        At 12:51 PM 8/9/2003 +0000, you wrote:

        >Hope you summer is winding down nicely

        What about those of us who are sitting by heaters in the grip of winter?? :)

        - Michael.
      • CJones
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2003
          Hi, Vance,

          I just looked through a few of your student blogs, your website
          detailing your students assignments, and your instructions for making
          a blog. It seems your students quite enjoyed this project and some
          made very impressive blogs, including photos.

          Thanks to the encouragement of you and other WIA bloggers, I'm
          getting more and more interested in trying this out for myself.
          Perhaps we could add a 25th hour to the day just to play with and
          learn on the Internet:-)

          Chris Jones

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens"