Re: Blog on!

  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
      Maria--Congrats on your blog. I will try to post a
      message there soon.
      Tere--I didn't have a problem with width. Maybe Graham
      has his default font set to too large a type?
      --Elizabeth

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2003
        In most emails I've written this summer I've started out apologizing
        for not paying attention as I have in the past. With WIA I feel
        almost like a boundary member this summer.

        The reason is that I've had to do a quick-step to preserve my
        lifestyle here in Abu Dhabi, with success I think, and in a week I'll
        be in the USA driving my son around the place where he proposes to go
        to college, south of Los Angeles in the Irvine / San Diego area in a
        state that's about to implode on its own hype.

        That aside, I've just read the postings on blogs and would now like
        to introduce you to my secondary / high school students in the UAE
        who have been working on their blogs the past few weeks (they're in a
        summer program in the tertiary institute where I teach). You can
        meet them here:

        http://vance-pi.blogspot.com

        Blogging has been an excellent way to instil a motivating sense of
        audience in my students, whose writing abilities were weak to begin
        with. But with my help they want to get their blogs right and get
        them out there, and they're starting to accomplish that, and in a
        class where I assign no homework, a lot of them have been going to
        the computer lab after hours to work on their blogs. Nice when the
        foot-vote goes your way!

        In my class web page (linked from my blog) you can link to their
        blogs and photos, where available, and you can also see that some of
        the WIA community building techniques carry over nicely to the f2f
        environment.

        http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/pi/2003summer.htm

        Hope you summer is winding down nicely and thanks for having a look,

        Vance

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
        <ehansonsmi@y...> wrote:
        > Maria--Congrats on your blog. I will try to post a
        > message there soon.
        > Tere--I didn't have a problem with width. Maybe Graham
        > has his default font set to too large a type?
        > --Elizabeth
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
          At 12:51 PM 8/9/2003 +0000, you wrote:

          >Hope you summer is winding down nicely

          What about those of us who are sitting by heaters in the grip of winter?? :)

          - Michael.
        • CJones
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2003
            Hi, Vance,

            I just looked through a few of your student blogs, your website
            detailing your students assignments, and your instructions for making
            a blog. It seems your students quite enjoyed this project and some
            made very impressive blogs, including photos.

            Thanks to the encouragement of you and other WIA bloggers, I'm
            getting more and more interested in trying this out for myself.
            Perhaps we could add a 25th hour to the day just to play with and
            learn on the Internet:-)

            Chris Jones

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance Stevens"