Lurker reporting on intercultural course results

  • NSK
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
      I don't even know if I can be classified as a lurker! Maybe more of a deleter! :-( There isn't enough time to be involved in everything. ..unfortunately.

      Anyway, I had an online course on intercultural communications. Teresa and Arlen Freed were two people from webheads that participated..when they could. We also had about 22 people from Turkey, 1 from China, 2 from the US, 2 from Canada and our class of 15 in Puebla, Mexico.

      The course was delivered on Blackboard. We used mainly the discussion board area which was divided into 17 cultural rooms ...each with a cultural theme like life rituals, food and taboos, clothing, school and work etc.

      We were rolling along nicely for about a month when my univ decided to upgrade bb and change the address. When they migrated the course to the new site, they lost about 70% of the discussions and we lost 100% of the remote participants. :-( Boy, was that discouraging! :-((

      They managed to retrieve the lost discussions and sent them ALL to me in a zip file. sheesh. I made new "rooms" with the recovered material, and then assigned rooms to my ss here. So each room had an owner. They were responsible for reporting what cultural discoveries or shared things happened in their rooms. That was their final project...to report on their rooms. I put the reports in the course documents area so they could all read them.

      I think it could have been a very nice course if we hadn't had the "disaster." !!! Everyone was very eager to share cultures. But those things happen. I hope I can get a chance to do it again some time.

      Nancy Keranen, Puebla MX

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 4, 2003
        Dear Nancy,

        Thank you for your private reply to my private message and for your
        understanding about my brief participation.

        I had no idea that there had been 'the' Blackboard disaster! What awful
        timing for an update! Anyway, you seem to have managed the situation quite
        well. And with all the experience you gained, next time things will run much
        better. :-)

        Keep in touch. Best wishes,

        Teresa