Backflip, organizing your links

  • dygonza
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002
      Hello friends,
      Today at Tapped In Arthur introduced some of us to Blackflip which is
      a browser based bookmark service. It is so good that I wanted to
      share the information with you all.
      Backflip is free and is very easy to use.

      http://www.backflip.com

      You register and right away you can start filing your webpages in
      folders that you create to suit your needs. There is tab on top of
      the page to "Create your folders" Once your have created the folders.
      You can file your web pages, to do so, you need to go to the "Get
      Tools" tab.
      For example, I selected to file the links I have as "favorite". All
      my files there went to blackflip and then through the "organization"
      feature, I sorted out my links into the different folders I had
      created (Articles, Online Journals, etc). You can add descriptions to
      each folder and file. Your folders are private, but there is a public
      directory for those links you would like to share.
      Advantages?
      One advantage of backflip is that you can access your bookmarks
      from any computer
      Another is that you can put a blackflip icon on your browser tool bar
      and by clicking on the icon automatically blackflip a webpage .This
      is a great feature. When reading all these webheads mails with
      different links to places I would like to check out, you only have to
      click on your blackflip icon, and there you are, not only saving the
      link, but having it filed in the corresponding folder.
      In this sense, BJB said:
      "You all have collected so many wonderful urls in your research for
      evonline. Backflip is a cool way to make those urls available on an
      as needed."
      As it was discussed this morning,
      "Backflip looks like a good solution *IF* you are very organized, and
      use lots of directories and sub-directories."
      "It also is a way to *BECOME* organized :-)"

      Uses in the classroom?
      "your stds can be directed to the sites you want them to work on"

      "and you can get them to complete very particular tasks, rather than
      merely surf aimlessly" (quotations taken from TI transcripts)

      Check it out!
      http://www.backflip.com

      PS: Thanks for all your nice comments about my homepage. (I need
      suggestions, too J)

      Dafne
    • Shunichiro Ito
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002
        Hi, all,

        I used to use a free bookmark service before switching to Backflip. I use
        neither of them now. I use http://www.ikeepbookmarks.com, maybe more crude
        and simple.

        My reason to switch from the first one to Backflip was that it suddenly
        declared it's not going to support the free service.
        And the agony of returning all the accumulated bookmarks, all important to
        me, back to Favorites taught me a lesson.
        The problem is solvable if there is an easy way of backing up the collected
        bookmarks or importing/exporting to/from Favorites. I couldn't fine any.
        So I spent a lot of time on the vain work and lost some of the bookmarks in
        the process.

        I started using Backflip then. Many teachers use it including KeikoS who
        has her bookmarks public. I was suspicious and
        checked on its mechanism.

        I find iKeepBookmarks.com faster than Backflip at times and simpler to
        learn, no ads. And there is a Yahoo mailing list for users. I'd recommend
        it.

        But people have their preferences. Take time before moving all you
        Favorites or Bookmarks to the service site so you won't make mistake like
        mine. I know one called Blink. Never built my bookmark there as it has
        too many ads. Why don't you check others too on Google before you decide.
        Keywords might be free bookmark service.

        Shun

        dygonza wrote:

        > Today at Tapped In Arthur introduced some of us to Blackflip which is
        > a browser based bookmark service. It is so good that I wanted to
        > share the information with you all.
        > Backflip is free and is very easy to use.
        >
        > http://www.backflip.com

      • vance_stevens
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2002
          Hi everyone,

          I'm still in Nairobi, about 20 messages to go. I'm on the one on
          backflip now and Shun's reply. I would like to point out that
          addressing the issues raised in this thread, organizing your links,
          is the REASON that I started creating web pages.

          In other words, it may be that online services are free for now and
          convenient to use, but it is also easy and convenient to create your
          own web pages, which can be a set of organized links, like
          bookmarks. My one for computer-assisted language learning is here:

          http://www.vancestevens.com/esl_home.htm

          This set of pages is nothing more than an organized and annotated set
          of bookmarks.

          Looking at Dafne's and Vitali's pages, the ones that have popped up
          in the last few messages, I see that they have approached the issue
          of content in unique ways. In other words, when thinking to start a
          page or an OLE site for that matter, it's neat to be thinking in
          general what you can do with the tool, but what you really need to
          start with is an idea, a plan, something to say, or teach, or
          organize.

          So if organizing bookmarks interests you, consider ...
          - getting a website niche carved out for yourself at geocities, or
          tripod (two I've found to be still free and easy to use).

          Power just went out in Nairobi. I've got to send this. I'm on UPS.

          Cheers,
        • dygonza
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2002
            Hello,
            After checking Vance's superb webpage:

            http://www.vancestevens.com/esl_home.htm

            I think he is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
            them handy is your own webpage. It is probably not a fast job, but it
            is your page and you do not have to rely on any of these services.
            It is good to know that they exist, and that they can be used while
            we get our bookmarking webpages neatly organized as our super Vance
            has his.
            Dafne

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., "vance_stevens" <vstevens@e...>

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2002
              Thanks for the reply. I just woke up after getting in at 4 a.m. last night. I chatted with Daf from a cybercafe in Nairobi, and I just saw Aiden online a moment ago. I've just downloaded the 400 emails I missed over the last 10 days, many from our session.

              I never got a chance to complete the email below. Power went off suddenly in Nairobi but fortunately I happened to be sitting at a computer on UPS power system and managed to send my message before it went off too. I'm adding to what I was saying below ...

              dygonza wrote:

              > Hello,
              > After checking Vance's superb webpage:
              >
              > http://www.vancestevens.com/esl_home.htm
              >
              > I think he is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
              > them handy is your own webpage. It is probably not a fast job, but it
              > is your page and you do not have to rely on any of these services.

              It CAN be a more convenient way for you to organize your bookmarks. The point I was trying to make was that when you design a web or OLE site the most important thing is to have a good idea of the content you want. Setting out to organize bookmarks can be a good way to start.

              > > So if organizing bookmarks interests you, consider ...
              > > (1) getting a website niche carved out for yourself at geocities, or
              > Tripod (two I've found to be still free and easy to use).

              (2) Starting a web page using one of the editors we've mentioned (you create this on your computer)

              (3) Uploading the pages you create to the web space you set up in point #1 above (it works on the web like it does on your computer)

              (4) Sending us a link to your page, as some of you have done already

              I see from our syllabus that this was our goal for the last week in February, whereas the goal for the coming week is to make refinements to those pages. Some of you are already at that step, in particular where you're noticing that your pictures are too large for easy download. The procedure in this case is to get image manipulation software and reduce the size of these photos. The one I use is Thumbs Plus at http://www.cerious.com, but some of you have suggested others as we can see from the syllabus.

              I'll spend some of today working on our syllabus pages to bring them up to date. Meantime if you have any questions, send them to the list.

              Vance [back in the saddle]
            • Renata Chylinski
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2002
                dygonza wrote:

                > I think he (Vance) is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
                > them handy is your own webpage.

                This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the number of
                websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
                At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
                students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
                campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.

                In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
                meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your criteria.
                Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site organises my
                links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of Centre's
                self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'
                self-study material.

                Renata's ESL/CALL Corner
                http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm

                Cheers
              • Renata Chylinski
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2002
                  Sorry guys
                  Renata's ESL/CALL Corner is here:
                  http://members.optushome.com.au/renatachylinski/index.htm
                  The other page is not my personal one, but the one I set up for our
                  students:

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2002
                    Dear Renata,
                    Thanks for sharing your homepage with us. I just love it. By the
                    way,from your photo show, I liked the one where you have curly hair.
                    Good to know about that Cosmopolitan CD ;-)
                    I like the way you organized your links, and the aesthetics of your
                    page is lovely. An excellent model to follow.
                    Best wishes,
                    Dafne

                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Renata Chylinski

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
                      Hi everyone,

                      As we pull toward the end of Week 6 of our session I've been updating the web pages at our site, adding things like the url below to Week 5 of the syllabus and updating Week 6 as the comments come in. I think Pete's posting from today will go there, for example.

                      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/week6.htm
                      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/week6.htm

                      We didn't get around this week to adding multimedia to our web sites. That was also scheduled for this week, but only a few of you braved Wimba and Groupboard (which are a form of multimedia). It's not hard to do. Teresa tried to make it harder than it is by pasting her perfectly good html into Front Page, and I hope she's succeeded by now in making it work. All html is, is text in a file. Notepad is an excellent html editor without all the help features. At the end of the Week 6 syllabus page you can find some information on what we failed to cover, though it's not hyperlinked yet. We can pursue this in Week 7 for any of you who are interested.

                      Several of you have sent us urls to your existing sites. If you manage to create a site (however modest) as a result of your association with this group please send us your URL so we can admire it. Another TESOL EVOnline session, Internet for Beginners, is having some success this week with getting novices to create web sites. You might want to look at their materials which are linked from my Week 6 page, above.

                      Next week we address issues of eModeration, and there are in fact 4events scheduled Friday, Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday.

                      March 8, Friday, 17:30 to 19:30 GMT, Vance will host a TESOL EVOnline Human_CALL chat on cross cultural issues online at Tapped In, http://www.tappedin.org

                      Sunday at noon GMT there is the usual Writing for Webheads, see http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/software.htm for information

                      Monday we move to Egypt - Monday 11 March, 14:00 GMT - "Online chat session with the Egypt Tesol Educational Technology Special Interest Group," hosted by Ismail Fayed with guests Vance and Dafne

                      Monday we also kick off a 48 hour discussion session for this: Wednesday, March 13, at noon GMT - Webheads in Action discussion on "Issues in emoderation and chaos navigation." Michael Coghlan will host a discussion on emoderation using his paper at http://users.chariot.net.au/~michaelc/nw2001/emod_newlang.htm as a reference

                      Check the schedule for the latest details:

                      http://www.vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm
                      http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/schedule.htm

                      Yaodong in Liuzhou and I (and Dafne, who happened along and joined us) have been experimenting with Pal Talk and I must say I like this chat client better than I do iVisit. The voice works quite well, better in multparty chat rooms than Yahoo Messenger as far as I can see, about like Hear Me; and the video seems to work, though perhaps not as well as Yahoo. I was able to see two cameras of others in the chat room, and there was a window for a third.

                      Hope to see you online soon,

                      Vance

                      Renata Chylinski wrote:

                      > dygonza wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I think he (Vance) is right, the best way to organize your links, and have
                      > > them handy is your own webpage.
                      >
                      > This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the number of
                      > websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
                      > At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
                      > students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
                      > campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.
                      >
                      > In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
                      > meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your criteria.
                      > Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site organises my
                      > links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of Centre's
                      > self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'
                      > self-study material.
                      >
                      > Renata's ESL/CALL Corner
                      > http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm
                      >
                      > Cheers

                      > For more information:
                      > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
                      >
                      > Syllabus:
                      > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.htm

                    • Renata Chylinski
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
                        Thanks for encouraging words, Dafne, about my webpage.
                        Unfortunately my hair is really STRAIGHT and only permanent perm would
                        change it. My husband wouldn't like the look though (I have tried it);)

                        Cheers

                        Renata Chylinski
                        CALL Coordinator
                        Monash University ELC
                        Melbourne, Australia
                        _____________________________
                        http://members.optushome.com.au/renatachylinski
                        http://www-muelc.general.monash.edu.au/Lstation/station.htm
                        ___________________________________
                        I call a fig a fig, a spade a spade.
                        Menander (342 BC - 292 BC),

                        > Thanks for sharing your homepage with us. I just love it. By the
                        > way,from your photo show, I liked the one where you have curly
                        > hair.
                        > Good to know about that Cosmopolitan CD ;-)
                        > I like the way you organized your links, and the aesthetics of
                        > your
                        > page is lovely. An excellent model to follow.
                        > Best wishes,
                        > Dafne
                        >
                        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@y..., Renata Chylinski
                        > <Renata.Chylinski@m...> wrote:
                        > > dygonza wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I think he (Vance) is right, the best way to organize your
                        > links,
                        > and have
                        > > > them handy is your own webpage.
                        > >
                        > > This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the
                        > number of
                        > > websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
                        > > At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
                        > > students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
                        > > campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.
                        > >
                        > > In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
                        > > meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your criteria.
                        > > Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site
                        > organises my
                        > > links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of
                        > Centre's
                        > > self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'
                        > > self-study material.
                        > >
                        > > Renata's ESL/CALL Corner
                        > > http://muelc.monint.monash.edu.au/LStation/station.htm
                        > >

                        > > Cheers

                        > -~-->
                        > Buy Stock for $4.
                        > No Minimums.
                        > FREE Money 2002.
                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/FeXolB/TM
                        >
                        > For more information:

                        http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.h
                        tm

                        > Syllabus:

                        http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vstevens/papers/evonline2002/syllabus.h
                        tm

                        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • aidenyeh
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
                          Renata's page is so organized, good lay-out, simple yet effective
                          graphics, impressive links, boy, i'm running out of words. Truly
                          inspirational. Newbies like me would view your page as an excellent
                          example of a wonderfully created esl site.

                          I'll share my page as soon as i've added Wimba.

                          Aiden

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
                            Cool,
                            can't wait to see it

                            aidenyeh wrote:

> [...]
                            > >

                            > > Renata Chylinski wrote:

                            > links, and have
                            > > >
                            > > > This is my opinion, too. I was at times overwhelmed by the number
                            > of
                            > > > websites suggested to me or found on the Intrenet.
                            > > > At first i simply wrote them down, but when I wanted to point my
                            > > > students to them it became impractical. Also, when you work across
                            > > > campuses having your own web page makes your work much easier.
                            > > >
                            > > > In addition, everyone has their own idea of organising files in a
                            > > > meaningful way and other people's pages may not meet your
                            > criteria.
                            > > > Here is what I came up with (see link below). This site organises
                            > my
                            > > > links but also had another role to fulfil: in the absence of
                            > Centre's
                            > > > self-access page it became a point of reference for our students'

                          • aiden yeh
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
                              Speaking of which, what's the code for dowloading Wimba ;-) I knew it was available in one of your webpages, but last night, I just couldn't find it. I got Wimba's page, should I just download it from there? If I do that, where should I go first?
                              Aiden

                              Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote: Cool,
                              can't wait to see it

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT