Re: IACSEE Conference in Holland

  • Aiden Yeh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2003
      Dearest Dafne and Arnold,

      Go and give another WOW performance. Having internet access would be
      better but if the conference organizers can't provide one then am
      sure that your PPT presentation will be as good. Without having us
      online would allow you to focus on the content of your presentation,
      and not on the technical aspect of blending online and f2f
      presentation and making it work all together. In this sense, what you
      say is more important than how you say it.

      Having remote presenters and online participants requires multi-
      tasking and you've got to be good at this. Take for example,
      Michael's Ed-Media conference. It was a success and I felt great
      about it because everyone's happy. In this kind of presentation, it's
      not what you say that's important, it's how you say it. Making sure
      that f2f participants understand what you're saying.

      The way Michael presented and the way things are organized fit very
      well in such a way that it answers and supplements the title of his
      presentation: Voice: the missing link? People were very much
      interested in the tool rather than the way it¡¦s used. This is a good
      because it signifies that EFL/ESL teachers nowadays know why such
      tools are used in and out of the classroom. Perhaps, many of the
      participants have tried applying the methods but are only missing the
      right tool. Alado is certainly the right tool if we want to integrate
      voice and text, plus all other features without the fear of losing
      voice. There are of course some caveats. For example, in my case, I
      lost my connection when I clicked on the url that was being
      projected. My screen turned blue and my face gray as my blood froze
      when I got booted out a few minutes before the presentation. It was
      nerve wracking. So, technology isn¡¦t perfect. We all know that. But
      as we move on, one step at a time, we move forward not backward.

      Kudos to you Michael, and to Daf and Arnold, break a leg!

      Aiden