Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
      Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

      Vance

      evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:43:54 +0930
      > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)
      >
      > Thanks for your best wishes Michael. I'll be holding some other voice chat
      > events at different time so everyone has the chance to attend over the
      > months ahead.
      >
      > - Michael C.
      >
      > At 09:39 AM 6/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      > >Thursday, June 5th
      > >Hi Michael,
      > >
      > >I would really like to participate in tomorrow's Voice Chat, but I
      > >would only be kidding myself if I said I would be ready and coherent,
      > >and in my office at 7 a.m. I hope to participate in this with all of
      > >you sometime soon however.
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
        At 10:19 PM 6/6/2003 +0400, you wrote:
        >Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a
        >weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

        Hope you trip was relaxing Vance. Here's what happened in the Voice Chat:

        About 10 people turned up for a voice chat today (June 6th) on the use of
        Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool. Despite the fact that the facilitator
        (yours truly) was thrown out of the chat at regular intervals the
        conversation flowed. We didn't get through anywhere near as much as I'd
        hoped but that was a good lesson learned. It is important to allow input
        from others and that of course eats into 'presentation time'. Perhaps it is
        important in a bare voice chat (no talking heads or graphic stimulus of any
        kind) to allow opportunities for interaction more than you might in a f2f
        setting?

        Susanne took the initiative and summarized the spoken conversation in the
        text chat, and many of us confessed to multitasking behind the scenes! We
        asked whether or not this is an acceptable thing for students to be doing
        while they are listening to a remote presenter&..is it? What do you think?
        Aiden asked how a teacher is supposed to keep 23 students focused on a
        voice lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation? My personal feeling
        is that students in such situations should be left alone to multitask of
        they want, but it was suggested that this kind of event would be better
        staged in a virtual classroom with graphics, polling, and other interactive
        features. But of course there is a substantial cost for that type of
        software. This led to a discussion on whether or not there should be a
        level of public funding to subsidise the purchase of these higher end tools

        We also talked about the fact that we have all become very dependent on
        saved logs or archives of text based web events, and that few voice chat
        tools as yet allow the facility to record conversations. As Susanne notes
        in her blog, we have gone back to where we came from taking written notes
        on the important points from a voice presentation. So,
        * Is it OK for people to multitask while they are listening to a remote
        presenter?
        * How do you (or should you) keep 23 students focused on a voice
        lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation?
        * Should there be a level of public funding to subsidise the purchase
        of these higher end tools such as virtual classrooms?