Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Voice Chat - Summary

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
      Susanne - thanks for the great summary of today's chat that you posted in
      the LearningTimes blog. Saves me the trouble of doing it!

      But I will post my thoughts as well - maybe in the text discussion area of LT.

      Thanks again Susanne. Your input and summary is really appreciated.

      - Michael C.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
        Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

        Vance

        evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:43:54 +0930
        > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
        > Subject: Re: Re: Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)
        >
        > Thanks for your best wishes Michael. I'll be holding some other voice chat
        > events at different time so everyone has the chance to attend over the
        > months ahead.
        >
        > - Michael C.
        >
        > At 09:39 AM 6/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        > >Thursday, June 5th
        > >Hi Michael,
        > >
        > >I would really like to participate in tomorrow's Voice Chat, but I
        > >would only be kidding myself if I said I would be ready and coherent,
        > >and in my office at 7 a.m. I hope to participate in this with all of
        > >you sometime soon however.
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
          At 10:19 PM 6/6/2003 +0400, you wrote:
          >Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a
          >weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

          Hope you trip was relaxing Vance. Here's what happened in the Voice Chat:

          About 10 people turned up for a voice chat today (June 6th) on the use of
          Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool. Despite the fact that the facilitator
          (yours truly) was thrown out of the chat at regular intervals the
          conversation flowed. We didn't get through anywhere near as much as I'd
          hoped but that was a good lesson learned. It is important to allow input
          from others and that of course eats into 'presentation time'. Perhaps it is
          important in a bare voice chat (no talking heads or graphic stimulus of any
          kind) to allow opportunities for interaction more than you might in a f2f
          setting?

          Susanne took the initiative and summarized the spoken conversation in the
          text chat, and many of us confessed to multitasking behind the scenes! We
          asked whether or not this is an acceptable thing for students to be doing
          while they are listening to a remote presenter&..is it? What do you think?
          Aiden asked how a teacher is supposed to keep 23 students focused on a
          voice lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation? My personal feeling
          is that students in such situations should be left alone to multitask of
          they want, but it was suggested that this kind of event would be better
          staged in a virtual classroom with graphics, polling, and other interactive
          features. But of course there is a substantial cost for that type of
          software. This led to a discussion on whether or not there should be a
          level of public funding to subsidise the purchase of these higher end tools

          We also talked about the fact that we have all become very dependent on
          saved logs or archives of text based web events, and that few voice chat
          tools as yet allow the facility to record conversations. As Susanne notes
          in her blog, we have gone back to where we came from taking written notes
          on the important points from a voice presentation. So,
          * Is it OK for people to multitask while they are listening to a remote
          presenter?
          * How do you (or should you) keep 23 students focused on a voice
          lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation?
          * Should there be a level of public funding to subsidise the purchase
          of these higher end tools such as virtual classrooms?