Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
      I'll try to be with you on Friday, too, Michael! I do not sleep that late :-)

      Sus

    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
        At 10:35 AM 6/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hi Michael,
        >
        >If I am able to wake up at those early hours (7 am, in Spain), I will be
        >there. I will set my alarm clock, I might listen to it :-)

        OK Daf. I'll try and speak in soft and soothing tones!

        >Btw, we are having a tex-voice chat with two groups of architecture
        >students this afternoon to talk about the life in the tenements. We'll
        >report on the experience.

        OK!

        - Michael C.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
          Michael,

          Since it is 6 a.m. for me and it is my day off, meaning I can sleep a little
          later, I doubt if I will join you.

          However, if I have insomnia (hope not!), I will.

          Enjoy!

          Teresa

          > Hi everyone.
          >
          > I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would like to
          > invite you to join me.
          >
          > Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool
          >
          > Time:
          >
          > 5.00 am GMT
          >
          > Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice Chat
          room

          > I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.
          >
          > Michael Coghlan
        • Rita Zeinstejer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
            Sorry, Mike! It'´ll be 2 am for me....:-(......... and I will have to get up at 7 on Friday...., hope next time I can make it!
            Cheers,
            Rita

            Michael,

            Since it is 6 a.m. for me and it is my day off, meaning I can sleep a little
            later, I doubt if I will join you.

            However, if I have insomnia (hope not!), I will.

            Enjoy!

            Teresa

            > Hi everyone.
            >
            > I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would like to
            > invite you to join me.
            >
            > Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool
            >
            > Time:
            >
            > 5.00 am GMT
            >
            > Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice Chat
            room

            > I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.
            >
            > Michael Coghlan

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Michael Marzio
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
              Thursday, June 5th
              Hi Michael,

              I would really like to participate in tomorrow's Voice Chat, but I
              would only be kidding myself if I said I would be ready and coherent,
              and in my office at 7 a.m. I hope to participate in this with all of
              you sometime soon however.

              Best wishes for a productive V-Chat.

              Michael Marzio

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dafne <dygonza@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hi Michael,
              >
              > If I am able to wake up at those early hours (7 am, in Spain), I
              will be there. I will set my alarm clock, I might listen to it :-)

              > Btw, we are having a tex-voice chat with two groups of architecture
              students this afternoon to talk about the life in the tenements.
              We'll report on the experience.

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Daf
              >
              > Michael Coghlan <michaelc@c...> wrote:
              > Hi everyone.
              >
              > I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would
              like to
              > invite you to join me.
              >
              > Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool
              >
              > Time:
              >
              > 5.00 am GMT
              >
              > Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice
              Chat room

              > How to Find It
              >
              > If you are already a member of LearningTimes just log in and select
              Voice
              > Chat from the navigation bar on the left.
              > If you are not member of LearningTimes you will need to become a
              member
              > before you can join the chat. This is a quick and painless process
              that
              > takes just a few minutes.
              >
              > Who Can Participate?
              >
              > In theory, the first 50 people who show up as the chat room can
              take a
              > maximum of 50. (I doubt there'll be anywhere near this number.) A
              more
              > likely hurdle will be firewalls. If you try to access the voice
              chat from
              > within an organisation or institution it is quite possible that you
              won't
              > be able to, so you might like to consider doing this from home, or
              via a
              > dial up connection.
              >
              > Feel free to forward this information to your networks.
              >
              > Technical Requirements
              > * When you click the Voice Chat link you may be
              asked 'permission' to
              > install components to allow the chat room to load. If asked, say
              yes. It is
              > quite safe.
              > * microphone and speakers
              >
              > I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.
              >
              > Michael Coghlan
              > eLearning Coordinator
              > Douglas Mawson Institute of Technology
              > michaelc@t...
              > 0417 899 912

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              > For more information:

              http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.ht

              extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

              Service.

            • Michael Coghlan
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                Thanks for your best wishes Michael. I'll be holding some other voice chat
                events at different time so everyone has the chance to attend over the
                months ahead.

                - Michael C.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Susanne - thanks for the great summary of today's chat that you posted in
                  the LearningTimes blog. Saves me the trouble of doing it!

                  But I will post my thoughts as well - maybe in the text discussion area of LT.

                  Thanks again Susanne. Your input and summary is really appreciated.

                  - Michael C.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                    Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

                    Vance

                    evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:43:54 +0930
                    > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
                    > Subject: Re: Re: Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)
                    >
                    > Thanks for your best wishes Michael. I'll be holding some other voice chat
                    > events at different time so everyone has the chance to attend over the
                    > months ahead.
                    >
                    > - Michael C.
                    >
                    > At 09:39 AM 6/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >Thursday, June 5th
                    > >Hi Michael,
                    > >
                    > >I would really like to participate in tomorrow's Voice Chat, but I
                    > >would only be kidding myself if I said I would be ready and coherent,
                    > >and in my office at 7 a.m. I hope to participate in this with all of
                    > >you sometime soon however.
                  • Michael Coghlan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                      At 10:19 PM 6/6/2003 +0400, you wrote:
                      >Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a
                      >weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

                      Hope you trip was relaxing Vance. Here's what happened in the Voice Chat:

                      About 10 people turned up for a voice chat today (June 6th) on the use of
                      Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool. Despite the fact that the facilitator
                      (yours truly) was thrown out of the chat at regular intervals the
                      conversation flowed. We didn't get through anywhere near as much as I'd
                      hoped but that was a good lesson learned. It is important to allow input
                      from others and that of course eats into 'presentation time'. Perhaps it is
                      important in a bare voice chat (no talking heads or graphic stimulus of any
                      kind) to allow opportunities for interaction more than you might in a f2f
                      setting?

                      Susanne took the initiative and summarized the spoken conversation in the
                      text chat, and many of us confessed to multitasking behind the scenes! We
                      asked whether or not this is an acceptable thing for students to be doing
                      while they are listening to a remote presenter&..is it? What do you think?
                      Aiden asked how a teacher is supposed to keep 23 students focused on a
                      voice lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation? My personal feeling
                      is that students in such situations should be left alone to multitask of
                      they want, but it was suggested that this kind of event would be better
                      staged in a virtual classroom with graphics, polling, and other interactive
                      features. But of course there is a substantial cost for that type of
                      software. This led to a discussion on whether or not there should be a
                      level of public funding to subsidise the purchase of these higher end tools

                      We also talked about the fact that we have all become very dependent on
                      saved logs or archives of text based web events, and that few voice chat
                      tools as yet allow the facility to record conversations. As Susanne notes
                      in her blog, we have gone back to where we came from taking written notes
                      on the important points from a voice presentation. So,
                      * Is it OK for people to multitask while they are listening to a remote
                      presenter?
                      * How do you (or should you) keep 23 students focused on a voice
                      lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation?
                      * Should there be a level of public funding to subsidise the purchase
                      of these higher end tools such as virtual classrooms?