Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi everyone.

      I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would like to
      invite you to join me.

      Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool

      Time:

      5.00 am GMT

      Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice Chat room

      How to Find It

      If you are already a member of LearningTimes just log in and select Voice
      Chat from the navigation bar on the left.
      If you are not member of LearningTimes you will need to become a member
      before you can join the chat. This is a quick and painless process that
      takes just a few minutes.

      Who Can Participate?

      In theory, the first 50 people who show up as the chat room can take a
      maximum of 50. (I doubt there'll be anywhere near this number.) A more
      likely hurdle will be firewalls. If you try to access the voice chat from
      within an organisation or institution it is quite possible that you won't
      be able to, so you might like to consider doing this from home, or via a
      dial up connection.

      Feel free to forward this information to your networks.

      Technical Requirements
      * When you click the Voice Chat link you may be asked 'permission' to
      install components to allow the chat room to load. If asked, say yes. It is
      quite safe.
      * microphone and speakers

      I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.

      Michael Coghlan
      eLearning Coordinator
      Douglas Mawson Institute of Technology
      michaelc@...
      0417 899 912

    • Dafne
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
        Hi Michael,

        If I am able to wake up at those early hours (7 am, in Spain), I will be there. I will set my alarm clock, I might listen to it :-)

        Btw, we are having a tex-voice chat with two groups of architecture students this afternoon to talk about the life in the tenements. We'll report on the experience.

        Cheers,

        Daf

        Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
          I'll try to be with you on Friday, too, Michael! I do not sleep that late :-)

          Sus

        • Michael Coghlan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
            At 10:35 AM 6/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:
            >Hi Michael,
            >
            >If I am able to wake up at those early hours (7 am, in Spain), I will be
            >there. I will set my alarm clock, I might listen to it :-)

            OK Daf. I'll try and speak in soft and soothing tones!

            >Btw, we are having a tex-voice chat with two groups of architecture
            >students this afternoon to talk about the life in the tenements. We'll
            >report on the experience.

            OK!

            - Michael C.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
              Michael,

              Since it is 6 a.m. for me and it is my day off, meaning I can sleep a little
              later, I doubt if I will join you.

              However, if I have insomnia (hope not!), I will.

              Enjoy!

              Teresa

              > Hi everyone.
              >
              > I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would like to
              > invite you to join me.
              >
              > Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool
              >
              > Time:
              >
              > 5.00 am GMT
              >
              > Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice Chat
              room

              > I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.
              >
              > Michael Coghlan
            • Rita Zeinstejer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                Sorry, Mike! It'´ll be 2 am for me....:-(......... and I will have to get up at 7 on Friday...., hope next time I can make it!
                Cheers,
                Rita

                Michael,

                Since it is 6 a.m. for me and it is my day off, meaning I can sleep a little
                later, I doubt if I will join you.

                However, if I have insomnia (hope not!), I will.

                Enjoy!

                Teresa

                > Hi everyone.
                >
                > I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would like to
                > invite you to join me.
                >
                > Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool
                >
                > Time:
                >
                > 5.00 am GMT
                >
                > Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice Chat
                room

                > I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.
                >
                > Michael Coghlan

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Michael Marzio
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                  Thursday, June 5th
                  Hi Michael,

                  I would really like to participate in tomorrow's Voice Chat, but I
                  would only be kidding myself if I said I would be ready and coherent,
                  and in my office at 7 a.m. I hope to participate in this with all of
                  you sometime soon however.

                  Best wishes for a productive V-Chat.

                  Michael Marzio

                  --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dafne <dygonza@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Michael,
                  >
                  > If I am able to wake up at those early hours (7 am, in Spain), I
                  will be there. I will set my alarm clock, I might listen to it :-)

                  > Btw, we are having a tex-voice chat with two groups of architecture
                  students this afternoon to talk about the life in the tenements.
                  We'll report on the experience.

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Daf
                  >
                  > Michael Coghlan <michaelc@c...> wrote:
                  > Hi everyone.
                  >
                  > I am hosting a live voice chat this Friday, June 6th, and would
                  like to
                  > invite you to join me.
                  >
                  > Topic: Using Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool
                  >
                  > Time:
                  >
                  > 5.00 am GMT
                  >
                  > Where: LearningTimes <http://www.learningtimes.org/> in the Voice
                  Chat room

                  > How to Find It
                  >
                  > If you are already a member of LearningTimes just log in and select
                  Voice
                  > Chat from the navigation bar on the left.
                  > If you are not member of LearningTimes you will need to become a
                  member
                  > before you can join the chat. This is a quick and painless process
                  that
                  > takes just a few minutes.
                  >
                  > Who Can Participate?
                  >
                  > In theory, the first 50 people who show up as the chat room can
                  take a
                  > maximum of 50. (I doubt there'll be anywhere near this number.) A
                  more
                  > likely hurdle will be firewalls. If you try to access the voice
                  chat from
                  > within an organisation or institution it is quite possible that you
                  won't
                  > be able to, so you might like to consider doing this from home, or
                  via a
                  > dial up connection.
                  >
                  > Feel free to forward this information to your networks.
                  >
                  > Technical Requirements
                  > * When you click the Voice Chat link you may be
                  asked 'permission' to
                  > install components to allow the chat room to load. If asked, say
                  yes. It is
                  > quite safe.
                  > * microphone and speakers
                  >
                  > I hope to meet some of you in the Voice Chat on Friday.
                  >
                  > Michael Coghlan
                  > eLearning Coordinator
                  > Douglas Mawson Institute of Technology
                  > michaelc@t...
                  > 0417 899 912

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  > For more information:

                  http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.ht

                  extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                  Service.

                • Michael Coghlan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2003
                    Thanks for your best wishes Michael. I'll be holding some other voice chat
                    events at different time so everyone has the chance to attend over the
                    months ahead.

                    - Michael C.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                      Susanne - thanks for the great summary of today's chat that you posted in
                      the LearningTimes blog. Saves me the trouble of doing it!

                      But I will post my thoughts as well - maybe in the text discussion area of LT.

                      Thanks again Susanne. Your input and summary is really appreciated.

                      - Michael C.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                        Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

                        Vance

                        evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                        > Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:43:54 +0930
                        > From: Michael Coghlan <michaelc@...>
                        > Subject: Re: Re: Voice Chat - this Friday (June 6th)
                        >
                        > Thanks for your best wishes Michael. I'll be holding some other voice chat
                        > events at different time so everyone has the chance to attend over the
                        > months ahead.
                        >
                        > - Michael C.
                        >
                        > At 09:39 AM 6/5/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                        > >Thursday, June 5th
                        > >Hi Michael,
                        > >
                        > >I would really like to participate in tomorrow's Voice Chat, but I
                        > >would only be kidding myself if I said I would be ready and coherent,
                        > >and in my office at 7 a.m. I hope to participate in this with all of
                        > >you sometime soon however.
                      • Michael Coghlan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 6, 2003
                          At 10:19 PM 6/6/2003 +0400, you wrote:
                          >Well, I'm reading this at 15:30 GMT Friday, having just got back from a
                          >weekend trip. I guess my excuse is I didn't know about it. Hope it went well,

                          Hope you trip was relaxing Vance. Here's what happened in the Voice Chat:

                          About 10 people turned up for a voice chat today (June 6th) on the use of
                          Voice Chat as an Instructional Tool. Despite the fact that the facilitator
                          (yours truly) was thrown out of the chat at regular intervals the
                          conversation flowed. We didn't get through anywhere near as much as I'd
                          hoped but that was a good lesson learned. It is important to allow input
                          from others and that of course eats into 'presentation time'. Perhaps it is
                          important in a bare voice chat (no talking heads or graphic stimulus of any
                          kind) to allow opportunities for interaction more than you might in a f2f
                          setting?

                          Susanne took the initiative and summarized the spoken conversation in the
                          text chat, and many of us confessed to multitasking behind the scenes! We
                          asked whether or not this is an acceptable thing for students to be doing
                          while they are listening to a remote presenter&..is it? What do you think?
                          Aiden asked how a teacher is supposed to keep 23 students focused on a
                          voice lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation? My personal feeling
                          is that students in such situations should be left alone to multitask of
                          they want, but it was suggested that this kind of event would be better
                          staged in a virtual classroom with graphics, polling, and other interactive
                          features. But of course there is a substantial cost for that type of
                          software. This led to a discussion on whether or not there should be a
                          level of public funding to subsidise the purchase of these higher end tools

                          We also talked about the fact that we have all become very dependent on
                          saved logs or archives of text based web events, and that few voice chat
                          tools as yet allow the facility to record conversations. As Susanne notes
                          in her blog, we have gone back to where we came from taking written notes
                          on the important points from a voice presentation. So,
                          * Is it OK for people to multitask while they are listening to a remote
                          presenter?
                          * How do you (or should you) keep 23 students focused on a voice
                          lecturein the absence of any visual stimulation?
                          * Should there be a level of public funding to subsidise the purchase
                          of these higher end tools such as virtual classrooms?