Thank you from a newbie.

  • svetlana
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi everyone!

      Just want to say thank you to you all. I've been lurking. Am a newbie and
      am learning heaps from your postings.

      Thanks.

      Svetlana-----------------------------------------------------------------

      > There are 3 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Hi from Seattle
      > From: "johnschrus" <christopher.johnson@...>
      > 2. Saving chatlogs in YM
      > From: "Dafne" <dygonza@...>
      > 3. YM voice chatting with Rita's students
      > From: "Susanne Nyrop" <s.nyrop@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 03:36:08 -0000
      > From: "johnschrus" <christopher.johnson@...>
      > Subject: Hi from Seattle
      >
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I have been absent for a while because I am relaxing in Seattle.
      > My sister got married, and it was nice to see friends and family.
      >
      > I will be back in Germany on June 12 and will update you all on
      > what is going on with my dissertation.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Chris

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 08:55:52 -0000
      > From: "Dafne" <dygonza@...>
      > Subject: Saving chatlogs in YM
      >
      > Dear All,
      >
      > One of the features in YM that I appreciate more is the one to save
      > chatlogs automatically. If you configure YM to do that, all chats and
      > conferences are saved even if you get disconnected at a certain point
      > of the session.
      >
      > I have explained this procedure to so many people in countless occa
      > sions, that I decided to create a page with a graphic description, so
      > when I need to explain it again I will just write the url to the page.
      >
      > http://dygonza.bravepages.com/wia/savinglogs_ym.htm
      >
      > Note: if you work on different computers, you need to do it on each
      > of them.
      >
      > See you all later at TI2: http://www.tappedin.org/new (noon GMT)
      >
      > Daf

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 12:03:51 +0200
      > From: "Susanne Nyrop" <s.nyrop@...>
      > Subject: YM voice chatting with Rita's students
      >
      > Hi friends,
      >
      > yesterday was a succesful experiment, where voice and text chat provided a
      n open channel for a communication session with five masters students of
      education in Rosario, Argentina, and their teacher, Rita, who met with
      Webheads Aiden, Teresa, Dafne and myself (representing Taiwan, Portugal
      Spain and Denmark). For the students, this was a first time experience on
      voice conferencing, and for me, too - or almost so. I have had a few
      previous encounters in iVisit (which is multi-system platform text, voice
      and video) - but as I remember these, we never came beyond the helpful
      troubleshooting and breakdown stage. The experience from yesterday was
      different. The only one who had some trouble with voice transmission after a
      major update of the new recommended YM voice software - was our expert
      veteran :-)) Dafne. For the rest of us my overall feeling is that the
      quality of voice is pretty good, and the most amazing was to laugh together!
      I do like verbal fun and linguistic eqiuilibrism, but text chat can
      sometimes be misunderstood, and voice makes it easier to find out if
      someone is joking or maybe just fumbling to find the best way to express
      things in a non native language.

      > Our discussion topics ranged from local supersititions and polite
      manners( it looks like the taboo of opening umbrellas inside houses is
      global and taking off outdoor shoes to go inside is very special for Chinese
      and (to a certain degree also Danish) people, whereas the Latins find this
      awkward) - to the necessity for educators to be well prepared in using new
      communicaton technologies, and a more open attidute towards children using
      the internet in school situations. Dafne told us how she had learned to
      dance the Tango with her father, andTeresa introduced her blog page and
      suggested that the class document this session on a homepage. I certainly
      hope that the chatlog was saved (I am not yet totally familiar with this
      issue on PC and forgot the routinely save procedure), as I tried to keep up
      with the spoken dialogue first because it felt a natural way to enaure that
      I had heard what people said, and make my own sayings easier to comprehend.
      In the last part of this long (90 minutes or so) online session, I typed or
      resumed most of our voice messages, to keep Dafne ajour because she had lost
      her voice and could not hear us (now you know how I have felt all these
      times, like a severe sense deprivation).