Re: [evonline2002_webheads] solution to error messages on Fernanda's sortable database table

  • Fernanda Rodrigues
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2003
      Ok, I'll correct the source of that problem by changing the database
      field.
      Anyway, Arlyn's and Dafne's information were correctly inserted into the
      database.
      I'm working on it.
      So, Arlyn, you think a different field other than Homepage, should be
      included for other websites?

      Fernanda

      On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
      Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I think I solved the problem.
      > The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
      > second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
      > The error message said that there could not be an
      > empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
      > this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
      > password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
      > checked
      > <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
      > and my information is there.
      >
      > If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
      > again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>
      >
      > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
      > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
      > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
      > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
      > Arlyn
      >
      > =====
      > http://www.eslhome.com
      >
      > "What's past is prologue."
      > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      > For more information:
      >
      > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

      Fernanda Rodrigues
      Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
      Setúbal
      http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
    • Fernanda Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2003
        Please don't use the form for a few minutes until I correct the database,
        otherwise some info may be lost.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2003
          ok, I've corrected the database, so I guess there will be no problems
          now even if you leave the fields icq or homepage empty. I tried it
          myself and it worked.

          Fernanda

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2003
            Hi, Arlyn
            I'm not an expert at ASP, or even Access, far from that. As you can see,
            I have made some silly mistakes, like not allowing zero-lenght in the
            field in the database.
            The code is not only html, it is ASP, but you can only see html. What
            the browser sends back to you is plain html. I quote: "The ASP code is
            compiled on-the-fly by the server and the resulting output is standard HTML"

            Fernanda

            On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
            Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

            > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
            > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
            > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
            > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
            > Arlyn
            >
            > =====
            > http://www.eslhome.com
            >
            > "What's past is prologue."
            > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

            > For more information:
            >
            > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

            Fernanda Rodrigues
            Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
            Setúbal
            http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
          • John H. Steele
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2003
              Got in this time.

              Dr. Cat

              Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
              English Department
              University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
              j_steele@...
              http://www.eslpalace.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > For more information:

              extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Fernanda Rodrigues
              Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
              Setúbal
              http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

              extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Susanne Nyrop
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                Hi Fernanda ,

                We¹re all learning from this troubleshooting process. You have still got
                some more work to do, I¹m afraid

                This time, I tried to enter something in all fields, like Arlyn suggested.
                No empty field although I never use ICQ. And it worked (if possible, would
                you please delete a first unintended entering with an error in it?)

                But first, to my surprise, I get t to a page with this wonderfully
                mysterious code message - calling for a dechiphering; why would we need to
                see this hidden programme?:

                <>"" Then MM_LoginAction = MM_LoginAction + "?" + Request.QueryString
                MM_valUsername=CStr(Request.Form("login")) If MM_valUsername <> "" Then
                MM_fldUserAuthorization="" MM_redirectLoginSuccess="register.asp"
                MM_redirectLoginFailed="default.asp" MM_flag="ADODB.Recordset" set MM_rsUser
                = Server.CreateObject(MM_flag) MM_rsUser.ActiveConnection =
                MM_reg_conn_STRING MM_rsUser.Source = "SELECT login, password" If
                MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "" Then MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & ","
                & MM_fldUserAuthorization MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & " FROM
                webheads_tbl WHERE login='" & Replace(MM_valUsername,"'","''") &"' AND
                password='" & Replace(Request.Form("password"),"'","''") & "'"
                MM_rsUser.CursorType = 0 MM_rsUser.CursorLocation = 2 MM_rsUser.LockType = 3
                MM_rsUser.Open If Not MM_rsUser.EOF Or Not MM_rsUser.BOF Then ' username and
                password match - this is a valid user Session("MM_Username") =
                MM_valUsername If (MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "") Then
                Session("MM_UserAuthorization") =
                CStr(MM_rsUser.Fields.Item(MM_fldUserAuthorization).Value) Else
                Session("MM_UserAuthorization") = "" End If if
                CStr(Request.QueryString("accessdenied")) <> "" And false Then
                MM_redirectLoginSuccess = Request.QueryString("accessdenied") End If
                MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginSuccess) End If
                MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginFailed) End If %>

                Webheads in Action (WiA)

                Thanks for your collaboration!
                 See WiA members (Which links to the result page. )

              • altunar@ibu.edu.tr
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                  Arlyn,

                  > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
                  > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
                  > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
                  > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
                  > Arlyn

                  Let me briefly explain the idea behind the coding. First, you create the
                  databae, and the html file. When you make a link (say Location to sort
                  them alphabetically according to location), you link to the asp code. Asp
                  code may also include the html. So, html interface will get the data
                  through asp connection.
                  For asp to work, you first connect to your database with some sort of
                  code. Secondly, you create a virtual table from which you need the data
                  (You may have 110 tables but in that particular page, you may only need
                  the info from one table). This is called a connection string. You give a
                  name to that connection, say myConn. So, when you open the asp page, the
                  browser makes sure that it got connected to your database and picked the
                  table and fields you specified. Thirdly, you need to select the data
                  suitable to your criteria. In order to mine the data, you need to use SQL
                  (structural Query Language). this is a query language, as you can
                  understand from the title. You perform another code to request data. For
                  sorting for example...

                  mySql= "select location, city, name from myTable ORDER BY location" would
                  return you the data including name, city, and location alphabetically
                  ordered by Location. The rest is to include a small snipplet to indicate
                  where you want that info on the web page.
                  If you try MsAccess' save as web page option, it includes all these
                  processes in an automatic fashion. There are some other programs, which
                  also helps you make this process smoother.
                  I hope this gives a brief idea.

                  If you really want to get your hands dirty with codes, we can try it in
                  one of our Sunday sessions. Since Yahoo groups does not allow attachments,
                  if you want a sample code with a datatbase, I can also send simple one
                  individually ...
                  ArifA