Re: [evonline2002_webheads] solution to error messages on Fernanda's sortable database table

  • Maria Albers de Urriola
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2003
      Sus,
      It works!!!
      María Irene
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Arlyn Freed" <aiteachesl@...>
      To: <evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 1:15 PM
      Subject: [evonline2002_webheads] solution to error messages on Fernanda's
      sortable database table

      Hi,
      I think I solved the problem.
      The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
      second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
      The error message said that there could not be an
      empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
      this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
      password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
      checked
      <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
      and my information is there.

      If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
      again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>

      SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
      The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
      URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
      table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

    • Fernanda Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2003
        Ok, I'll correct the source of that problem by changing the database
        field.
        Anyway, Arlyn's and Dafne's information were correctly inserted into the
        database.
        I'm working on it.
        So, Arlyn, you think a different field other than Homepage, should be
        included for other websites?

        Fernanda

        On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
        Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I think I solved the problem.
        > The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
        > second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
        > The error message said that there could not be an
        > empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
        > this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
        > password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
        > checked
        > <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
        > and my information is there.
        >
        > If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
        > again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>
        >
        > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
        > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
        > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
        > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
        > Arlyn
        >
        > =====
        > http://www.eslhome.com
        >
        > "What's past is prologue."
        > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

        > For more information:
        >
        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

        Fernanda Rodrigues
        Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
        Setúbal
        http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2003
          Please don't use the form for a few minutes until I correct the database,
          otherwise some info may be lost.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2003
            ok, I've corrected the database, so I guess there will be no problems
            now even if you leave the fields icq or homepage empty. I tried it
            myself and it worked.

            Fernanda

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2003
              Hi, Arlyn
              I'm not an expert at ASP, or even Access, far from that. As you can see,
              I have made some silly mistakes, like not allowing zero-lenght in the
              field in the database.
              The code is not only html, it is ASP, but you can only see html. What
              the browser sends back to you is plain html. I quote: "The ASP code is
              compiled on-the-fly by the server and the resulting output is standard HTML"

              Fernanda

              On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
              Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

              > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
              > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
              > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
              > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
              > Arlyn
              >
              > =====
              > http://www.eslhome.com
              >
              > "What's past is prologue."
              > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

              > For more information:
              >
              > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

              Fernanda Rodrigues
              Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
              Setúbal
              http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
            • John H. Steele
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                Got in this time.

                Dr. Cat

                Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
                English Department
                University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
                j_steele@...
                http://www.eslpalace.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > For more information:

                extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Fernanda Rodrigues
                Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                Setúbal
                http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

                extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Susanne Nyrop
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                  Hi Fernanda ,

                  We¹re all learning from this troubleshooting process. You have still got
                  some more work to do, I¹m afraid

                  This time, I tried to enter something in all fields, like Arlyn suggested.
                  No empty field although I never use ICQ. And it worked (if possible, would
                  you please delete a first unintended entering with an error in it?)

                  But first, to my surprise, I get t to a page with this wonderfully
                  mysterious code message - calling for a dechiphering; why would we need to
                  see this hidden programme?:

                  <>"" Then MM_LoginAction = MM_LoginAction + "?" + Request.QueryString
                  MM_valUsername=CStr(Request.Form("login")) If MM_valUsername <> "" Then
                  MM_fldUserAuthorization="" MM_redirectLoginSuccess="register.asp"
                  MM_redirectLoginFailed="default.asp" MM_flag="ADODB.Recordset" set MM_rsUser
                  = Server.CreateObject(MM_flag) MM_rsUser.ActiveConnection =
                  MM_reg_conn_STRING MM_rsUser.Source = "SELECT login, password" If
                  MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "" Then MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & ","
                  & MM_fldUserAuthorization MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & " FROM
                  webheads_tbl WHERE login='" & Replace(MM_valUsername,"'","''") &"' AND
                  password='" & Replace(Request.Form("password"),"'","''") & "'"
                  MM_rsUser.CursorType = 0 MM_rsUser.CursorLocation = 2 MM_rsUser.LockType = 3
                  MM_rsUser.Open If Not MM_rsUser.EOF Or Not MM_rsUser.BOF Then ' username and
                  password match - this is a valid user Session("MM_Username") =
                  MM_valUsername If (MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "") Then
                  Session("MM_UserAuthorization") =
                  CStr(MM_rsUser.Fields.Item(MM_fldUserAuthorization).Value) Else
                  Session("MM_UserAuthorization") = "" End If if
                  CStr(Request.QueryString("accessdenied")) <> "" And false Then
                  MM_redirectLoginSuccess = Request.QueryString("accessdenied") End If
                  MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginSuccess) End If
                  MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginFailed) End If %>

                  Webheads in Action (WiA)

                  Thanks for your collaboration!
                   See WiA members (Which links to the result page. )

                • altunar@ibu.edu.tr
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                    Arlyn,

                    > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
                    > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
                    > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
                    > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
                    > Arlyn

                    Let me briefly explain the idea behind the coding. First, you create the
                    databae, and the html file. When you make a link (say Location to sort
                    them alphabetically according to location), you link to the asp code. Asp
                    code may also include the html. So, html interface will get the data
                    through asp connection.
                    For asp to work, you first connect to your database with some sort of
                    code. Secondly, you create a virtual table from which you need the data
                    (You may have 110 tables but in that particular page, you may only need
                    the info from one table). This is called a connection string. You give a
                    name to that connection, say myConn. So, when you open the asp page, the
                    browser makes sure that it got connected to your database and picked the
                    table and fields you specified. Thirdly, you need to select the data
                    suitable to your criteria. In order to mine the data, you need to use SQL
                    (structural Query Language). this is a query language, as you can
                    understand from the title. You perform another code to request data. For
                    sorting for example...

                    mySql= "select location, city, name from myTable ORDER BY location" would
                    return you the data including name, city, and location alphabetically
                    ordered by Location. The rest is to include a small snipplet to indicate
                    where you want that info on the web page.
                    If you try MsAccess' save as web page option, it includes all these
                    processes in an automatic fashion. There are some other programs, which
                    also helps you make this process smoother.
                    I hope this gives a brief idea.

                    If you really want to get your hands dirty with codes, we can try it in
                    one of our Sunday sessions. Since Yahoo groups does not allow attachments,
                    if you want a sample code with a datatbase, I can also send simple one
                    individually ...
                    ArifA