Re: [evonline2002_webheads] solution to error messages on Fernanda's sortable database table

  • dafne Chavez
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2003
      Great Arlyn, that was the problem, you cannot leave any space empty! I do not have ICQ either, and that's why I had the error message. Daf

      Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:Hi,
      I think I solved the problem.
      The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
      second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
      The error message said that there could not be an
      empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
      this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
      password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
      checked
      <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
      and my information is there.

      If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
      again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>

      SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
      The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
      URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
      table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      http://search.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=1/1051896212+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECflash"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/proflowers_mom_300x250_30k.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=2/id=altimgurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=3/1051896212+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/mday_300x250_vase_20k.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

    • Maria Albers de Urriola
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2003
        Sus,
        It works!!!
        María Irene
[...]

        extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

      • Fernanda Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2003
          Ok, I'll correct the source of that problem by changing the database
          field.
          Anyway, Arlyn's and Dafne's information were correctly inserted into the
          database.
          I'm working on it.
          So, Arlyn, you think a different field other than Homepage, should be
          included for other websites?

          Fernanda

          On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
          Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I think I solved the problem.
          > The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
          > second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
          > The error message said that there could not be an
          > empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
          > this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
          > password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
          > checked
          > <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
          > and my information is there.
          >
          > If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
          > again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>
          >
          > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
          > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
          > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
          > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
          > Arlyn
          >
          > =====
          > http://www.eslhome.com
          >
          > "What's past is prologue."
          > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

          > For more information:
          >
          > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

          Fernanda Rodrigues
          Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
          Setúbal
          http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2003
            Please don't use the form for a few minutes until I correct the database,
            otherwise some info may be lost.

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2003
              ok, I've corrected the database, so I guess there will be no problems
              now even if you leave the fields icq or homepage empty. I tried it
              myself and it worked.

              Fernanda

              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                Hi, Arlyn
                I'm not an expert at ASP, or even Access, far from that. As you can see,
                I have made some silly mistakes, like not allowing zero-lenght in the
                field in the database.
                The code is not only html, it is ASP, but you can only see html. What
                the browser sends back to you is plain html. I quote: "The ASP code is
                compiled on-the-fly by the server and the resulting output is standard HTML"

                Fernanda

                On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
                Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

                > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
                > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
                > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
                > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
                > Arlyn
                >
                > =====
                > http://www.eslhome.com
                >
                > "What's past is prologue."
                > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

                > For more information:
                >
                > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                Fernanda Rodrigues
                Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                Setúbal
                http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
              • John H. Steele
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                  Got in this time.

                  Dr. Cat

                  Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
                  English Department
                  University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
                  j_steele@...
                  http://www.eslpalace.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > For more information:

                  extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Fernanda Rodrigues
                  Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                  Setúbal
                  http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

                  extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Susanne Nyrop
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                    Hi Fernanda ,

                    We¹re all learning from this troubleshooting process. You have still got
                    some more work to do, I¹m afraid

                    This time, I tried to enter something in all fields, like Arlyn suggested.
                    No empty field although I never use ICQ. And it worked (if possible, would
                    you please delete a first unintended entering with an error in it?)

                    But first, to my surprise, I get t to a page with this wonderfully
                    mysterious code message - calling for a dechiphering; why would we need to
                    see this hidden programme?:

                    <>"" Then MM_LoginAction = MM_LoginAction + "?" + Request.QueryString
                    MM_valUsername=CStr(Request.Form("login")) If MM_valUsername <> "" Then
                    MM_fldUserAuthorization="" MM_redirectLoginSuccess="register.asp"
                    MM_redirectLoginFailed="default.asp" MM_flag="ADODB.Recordset" set MM_rsUser
                    = Server.CreateObject(MM_flag) MM_rsUser.ActiveConnection =
                    MM_reg_conn_STRING MM_rsUser.Source = "SELECT login, password" If
                    MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "" Then MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & ","
                    & MM_fldUserAuthorization MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & " FROM
                    webheads_tbl WHERE login='" & Replace(MM_valUsername,"'","''") &"' AND
                    password='" & Replace(Request.Form("password"),"'","''") & "'"
                    MM_rsUser.CursorType = 0 MM_rsUser.CursorLocation = 2 MM_rsUser.LockType = 3
                    MM_rsUser.Open If Not MM_rsUser.EOF Or Not MM_rsUser.BOF Then ' username and
                    password match - this is a valid user Session("MM_Username") =
                    MM_valUsername If (MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "") Then
                    Session("MM_UserAuthorization") =
                    CStr(MM_rsUser.Fields.Item(MM_fldUserAuthorization).Value) Else
                    Session("MM_UserAuthorization") = "" End If if
                    CStr(Request.QueryString("accessdenied")) <> "" And false Then
                    MM_redirectLoginSuccess = Request.QueryString("accessdenied") End If
                    MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginSuccess) End If
                    MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginFailed) End If %>

                    Webheads in Action (WiA)

                    Thanks for your collaboration!
                     See WiA members (Which links to the result page. )

                  • altunar@ibu.edu.tr
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                      Arlyn,

                      > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
                      > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
                      > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
                      > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
                      > Arlyn

                      Let me briefly explain the idea behind the coding. First, you create the
                      databae, and the html file. When you make a link (say Location to sort
                      them alphabetically according to location), you link to the asp code. Asp
                      code may also include the html. So, html interface will get the data
                      through asp connection.
                      For asp to work, you first connect to your database with some sort of
                      code. Secondly, you create a virtual table from which you need the data
                      (You may have 110 tables but in that particular page, you may only need
                      the info from one table). This is called a connection string. You give a
                      name to that connection, say myConn. So, when you open the asp page, the
                      browser makes sure that it got connected to your database and picked the
                      table and fields you specified. Thirdly, you need to select the data
                      suitable to your criteria. In order to mine the data, you need to use SQL
                      (structural Query Language). this is a query language, as you can
                      understand from the title. You perform another code to request data. For
                      sorting for example...

                      mySql= "select location, city, name from myTable ORDER BY location" would
                      return you the data including name, city, and location alphabetically
                      ordered by Location. The rest is to include a small snipplet to indicate
                      where you want that info on the web page.
                      If you try MsAccess' save as web page option, it includes all these
                      processes in an automatic fashion. There are some other programs, which
                      also helps you make this process smoother.
                      I hope this gives a brief idea.

                      If you really want to get your hands dirty with codes, we can try it in
                      one of our Sunday sessions. Since Yahoo groups does not allow attachments,
                      if you want a sample code with a datatbase, I can also send simple one
                      individually ...
                      ArifA