solution to error messages on Fernanda's sortable database table

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2003
      Hi,
      I think I solved the problem.
      The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
      second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
      The error message said that there could not be an
      empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
      this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
      password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
      checked
      <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
      and my information is there.

      If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
      again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>

      SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
      The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
      URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
      table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
      Arlyn

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • dafne Chavez
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2003
        Great Arlyn, that was the problem, you cannot leave any space empty! I do not have ICQ either, and that's why I had the error message. Daf

        Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:Hi,
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=1/1051896212+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECflash"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/proflowers_mom_300x250_30k.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=2/id=altimgurl/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?proflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705080709:HM/A=1554463/R=3/1051896212+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.proflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/pr/proflowers2/mday_300x250_vase_20k.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

      • Maria Albers de Urriola
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2003
          Sus,
          It works!!!
          María Irene
[...]

          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

        • Fernanda Rodrigues
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2003
            Ok, I'll correct the source of that problem by changing the database
            field.
            Anyway, Arlyn's and Dafne's information were correctly inserted into the
            database.
            I'm working on it.
            So, Arlyn, you think a different field other than Homepage, should be
            included for other websites?

            Fernanda

            On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
            Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I think I solved the problem.
            > The first time I must have logged in incorrectly. The
            > second time I had no problem until I clicked 'submit'.
            > The error message said that there could not be an
            > empty field for "ICQ" (I don't have ICQ, so I had left
            > this empty). Clicking 'back' (and reentering the
            > password), I plugged two zeros into the field. I just
            > checked
            > <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/webheads.asp>
            > and my information is there.
            >
            > If this process sounds familiar, you may want to try
            > again at <http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/>
            >
            > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
            > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
            > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
            > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
            > Arlyn
            >
            > =====
            > http://www.eslhome.com
            >
            > "What's past is prologue."
            > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

            > For more information:
            >
            > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

            Fernanda Rodrigues
            Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
            Setúbal
            http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
          • Fernanda Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2003
              Please don't use the form for a few minutes until I correct the database,
              otherwise some info may be lost.

              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                ok, I've corrected the database, so I guess there will be no problems
                now even if you leave the fields icq or homepage empty. I tried it
                myself and it worked.

                Fernanda

                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                  Hi, Arlyn
                  I'm not an expert at ASP, or even Access, far from that. As you can see,
                  I have made some silly mistakes, like not allowing zero-lenght in the
                  field in the database.
                  The code is not only html, it is ASP, but you can only see html. What
                  the browser sends back to you is plain html. I quote: "The ASP code is
                  compiled on-the-fly by the server and the resulting output is standard HTML"

                  Fernanda

                  On Fri, 2 May 2003 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
                  Arlyn Freed <aiteachesl@...> wrote:

                  > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
                  > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
                  > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
                  > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
                  > Arlyn
                  >
                  > =====
                  > http://www.eslhome.com
                  >
                  > "What's past is prologue."
                  > -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest

                  > For more information:
                  >
                  > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                  Fernanda Rodrigues
                  Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                  Setúbal
                  http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp
                • John H. Steele
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                    Got in this time.

                    Dr. Cat

                    Prof. John H. Steele, Ph.D.
                    English Department
                    University of Puerto Rico at Aguadilla
                    j_steele@...
                    http://www.eslpalace.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    > For more information:

                    extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                    > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Fernanda Rodrigues
                    Escola Secundária Sebastião da Gama
                    Setúbal
                    http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/essg/escola/default.asp

                    extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Susanne Nyrop
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                      Hi Fernanda ,

                      We¹re all learning from this troubleshooting process. You have still got
                      some more work to do, I¹m afraid

                      This time, I tried to enter something in all fields, like Arlyn suggested.
                      No empty field although I never use ICQ. And it worked (if possible, would
                      you please delete a first unintended entering with an error in it?)

                      But first, to my surprise, I get t to a page with this wonderfully
                      mysterious code message - calling for a dechiphering; why would we need to
                      see this hidden programme?:

                      <>"" Then MM_LoginAction = MM_LoginAction + "?" + Request.QueryString
                      MM_valUsername=CStr(Request.Form("login")) If MM_valUsername <> "" Then
                      MM_fldUserAuthorization="" MM_redirectLoginSuccess="register.asp"
                      MM_redirectLoginFailed="default.asp" MM_flag="ADODB.Recordset" set MM_rsUser
                      = Server.CreateObject(MM_flag) MM_rsUser.ActiveConnection =
                      MM_reg_conn_STRING MM_rsUser.Source = "SELECT login, password" If
                      MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "" Then MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & ","
                      & MM_fldUserAuthorization MM_rsUser.Source = MM_rsUser.Source & " FROM
                      webheads_tbl WHERE login='" & Replace(MM_valUsername,"'","''") &"' AND
                      password='" & Replace(Request.Form("password"),"'","''") & "'"
                      MM_rsUser.CursorType = 0 MM_rsUser.CursorLocation = 2 MM_rsUser.LockType = 3
                      MM_rsUser.Open If Not MM_rsUser.EOF Or Not MM_rsUser.BOF Then ' username and
                      password match - this is a valid user Session("MM_Username") =
                      MM_valUsername If (MM_fldUserAuthorization <> "") Then
                      Session("MM_UserAuthorization") =
                      CStr(MM_rsUser.Fields.Item(MM_fldUserAuthorization).Value) Else
                      Session("MM_UserAuthorization") = "" End If if
                      CStr(Request.QueryString("accessdenied")) <> "" And false Then
                      MM_redirectLoginSuccess = Request.QueryString("accessdenied") End If
                      MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginSuccess) End If
                      MM_rsUser.Close Response.Redirect(MM_redirectLoginFailed) End If %>

                      Webheads in Action (WiA)

                      Thanks for your collaboration!
                       See WiA members (Which links to the result page. )

                    • altunar@ibu.edu.tr
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                        Arlyn,

                        > SO, my question is -- what makes this table 'sort'?
                        > The code is all html, as far as I can see. Only the
                        > URL ends in .asp . Where is the code that tells the
                        > table to sort (I WANT TO LEARN THIS!).
                        > Arlyn

                        Let me briefly explain the idea behind the coding. First, you create the
                        databae, and the html file. When you make a link (say Location to sort
                        them alphabetically according to location), you link to the asp code. Asp
                        code may also include the html. So, html interface will get the data
                        through asp connection.
                        For asp to work, you first connect to your database with some sort of
                        code. Secondly, you create a virtual table from which you need the data
                        (You may have 110 tables but in that particular page, you may only need
                        the info from one table). This is called a connection string. You give a
                        name to that connection, say myConn. So, when you open the asp page, the
                        browser makes sure that it got connected to your database and picked the
                        table and fields you specified. Thirdly, you need to select the data
                        suitable to your criteria. In order to mine the data, you need to use SQL
                        (structural Query Language). this is a query language, as you can
                        understand from the title. You perform another code to request data. For
                        sorting for example...

                        mySql= "select location, city, name from myTable ORDER BY location" would
                        return you the data including name, city, and location alphabetically
                        ordered by Location. The rest is to include a small snipplet to indicate
                        where you want that info on the web page.
                        If you try MsAccess' save as web page option, it includes all these
                        processes in an automatic fashion. There are some other programs, which
                        also helps you make this process smoother.
                        I hope this gives a brief idea.

                        If you really want to get your hands dirty with codes, we can try it in
                        one of our Sunday sessions. Since Yahoo groups does not allow attachments,
                        if you want a sample code with a datatbase, I can also send simple one
                        individually ...
                        ArifA