Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Fernanda's sortable tables - mac Bug?

  • Susanne Nyrop
    Message 1 of 25 , May 2 10:10 AM
      Fernanda,

      When I try to enter my informations,

      my error message looks as follows:

      Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

      Field 'webheads_tbl.icq' cannot be a zero-length string.

      /users/mfr/wia/register.asp, line 115

      (once I am at the fill in form, I still see no field for my occupation or
      affiliation. Also, I am wondering what I am supposed to enter as my login
      and Password(passwords are usually personal - and what domain are you
      asking for?)

      I was using the URL below. http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/users/mfr/wia/

      Hugs, Sus

    • Maria Albers de Urriola
      Message 2 of 25 , May 2 10:45 AM
        The error is page not found, get in touch with http://www.prof2000.pt:9999/
        María Irene
        Message 3 of 25 , May 2 5:48 PM
          Hi, Vance,

          Thanks for responding. I'm sure this is something I have to work out
          with the technical staff at my college, and it is an issue of
          bandwith. The difference between my office computer and the
          computers in the labs and classrooms is Windows 98 vs Windows 2000.
          The latter are locked down, so no programs can be added except by
          technicians with appropriate passwords. I just found out this week
          that Real One has been disabled or not installed on those computers.
          I'm supposed to have Windows 2000 on my office computer as well, but
          I've made a point not to complain about small problems this year.
          The technicians have been too busy to go around and check all the
          staff computers, but that may happen this summer.

          Meanwhile I need to put on my most persuasive behavior and explain to
          a couple administrators why I want to use software with voice
          capabilities. My request for Yahoo Messenger in the computer
          classroom next fall has already been made as well as Real One in the
          other classroom I'll use. I had hoped to try out one of the Real
          English videos with a class this spring. Too late now as we have
          only one week of class and finals.

          Chris Jones

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
          <vstevens@e...> wrote:

          > > Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:55:02 -0700 (PDT)
          > From: Chris Jones <edtec2002@y...>
          > I enjoyed Teresa's presentation so much that I decided
          > it was time to try voice chat with one of my classes.
          > I've used all sorts of excuses in the past. Anyway I
          > had 3 students who finished their work early in my
          > Internet class login to Wimba. All the computers,
          > including the instructor's, came up with "voice
          > unavailable." :-( I then came back to my office and
          > tried it here, and the voice was initialized fine. <
          >
          > Ok, what's the difference between your office and student
          computers? Ask you network administrator if there are any
          differences in firewall permissions. If he says not then it would be
          something particular to the computers themselves.

          http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

          > I've installed the fix to a couple of computers and got Wimba
          working. You might also look into Direct X issues. Do you have a
          different version of Direct-X on your office and student computers?
          MS have a new Direct-X 9.0 out that has resolved connectivity
          problems on some computers in my workplace (couldn't get tapped in
          before, now they can). I haven't had a chance to investigate this
          much, but these are two things you can try.

          > I'm pretty sure that voice has somehow been disabled
          > on most college computers. I also asked to have Real
          > One put on the only computer in a regular classroom
          > for next fall, so I could use Real English videos. I
          > was asked specifically which classroom I use since
          > Real One has been disabled in classrooms.
          >
          > It's evidentally a bandwith problem.
          >
          > This is reasonable. We had the same problem on our network at one
          point. Firewalls can be slowing you down. Redundant firewalls are a
          problem on some networks. Chokepoints at obsolute switches and
          routers can cause problems. You need Real functionality, so agitate
          for more bandwidth.