Re: [Real_English_Online] video concordancer, cybertours

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2003
      > Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 15:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Elizabeth Hanson-Smith <ehansonsmi@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 53

      Hi Anne--
      I really liked your description, as it gets to the
      heart of using the video at first silently--discussing
      it in a group of 3 is a great idea.
      Also, identifying a student grammar need and then
      choosing the right video to tackle it is good---this
      is really teaching at the opportune moment. <

      Does anyone on this list remember Karen Price's video concordancer? I think the concept, or at least what I imagine of it, is something like

      - get a video and its transcript, like for example use a tv newsbroadcast and its closed caption transcript.

      - generate (somehow) a relationship between items or junctures in your text transcript and the corresponding frame number on the video

      - concordance the text as you like
      - for anything the concordancer tosses up, click and see that portion of the video

      Someone with a better memory than I might remember the concept differently.

      Now to design one ...

      Vance

      ps - Webheads has this quaint habit of documenting online experiences (sometimes without permission even ... Daf is used to this and doesn't mind, but I guess we ought to let Mike know ...)

      bottom of: http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/cybertours.htm
    • Michael Marzio
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2003
        Hi Vance et al.,

        I really don't understand the video concorcordance idea at all, nor
        what its use would be.

        I've made a lot of videos (for the CD Version) with precise closed
        captions (English subtitles) which pop up if student users get the
        corresponding question wrong twice. Does this type of thing have
        anything to do with what you are talking about? I bring it up as a
        possibility only because precise closed-captionioning is a frame-by-
        frame affair, which you mention in your message below.

        Your "quaint habit of documenting online experiences" is another fine
        surprise. Every time I turn around, I discover new aspects of the
        webhead culture. Am glad to be onboard.

        Mike

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens