Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Digest Number 437

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      I've been thinking about this transition (when I have time, so much going on through first week in May!!).

      We are welcome to move over to TI2 and meet there, but you know the result is to open another chat where some are in one window, some in both but paying attention only in one, and some in the other. No objection, as this is what we enjoy doing all the time, but the problem is that TI is not just phasing one out and the other in, but it's like we've been chatting in Yahoo and suddenly they want us to move, not en masse but some here some there, over to MSN. They have opened in effect a new chat area when the old one is functional for most people's purposes, so why split the group at this point in time?

      If they are really going to close TI classic then when http://www.tappedin.org lands you in TI2, that's when I think we should make our move.

      Right now, to reach TI2 you have to visit http://www.tappedin.org/new. The correct thing to do would have been, or eventually should be, to have the URL for TI2 be http://www.tappedin.org and for TI classic http://www.tappedin.org/old.

      I wonder if there is a plan for http://www.tappedin.org to land you in TI2. If that's the case, then we'll all wind up there eventually. Is there any reason to rush over there?

      Vance

      evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:21:39 -0000
      > From: "Dafne" <dygonza@...>
      > Subject: Moving to TI2
      >
      > Hi Vance, and all Webheads!
      >
      > I have been reading Tapped In calendar of events, and noticed that
      > most sessions have already moved to TI2. Some of us already have
      > offices in the new platform, and we have also created a group (a new
      > feature in TI2), "WiA CoP", where some discussions have taken place.
      >
      > Why don't we try meeting at TI2 this Sunday? It can be like an open
      > house to learn to use the different features. In that way, we will be
      > ready when we have to definitely moved out of TI (June, I think).
      >
      > Sus can be our guide, and I am sure that BJ will be ready to help, as
      > usual :-)
      >
      > What do you all think?
      >
      > Daf

    • Susanne Nyrop
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        Hi Vance and all,

        Tada!
        Let me announce the TI2 launch festival that will take place in July, on a
        Wednesday. Like last year, I have reserved a place for Webheads to join
        this event where the active user groups will have some Open House activity.
        As I¹m in the Helpdesk group, I¹m also in the festival committee, but we can
        definitely use more hands for this.

        Yes. TI classic is going to close down soon. I had hoped for a smoother
        transmission for Webheads to TI2 because that¹s where the helpdesk
        activities will be taking place, most of the other ASO sessions are already
        moving. And we do need to get familiar with the new TI2 interface, that has
        got many advantages over the old that was built on the complex programming
        language from the text-only MOO system. The programmers are really doing a
        great job taking care of all the demands for better tools, and as we have
        been invited as beta testers, we have had the opportunity to follow the
        process at a closer hold. Vance, I do not really understand why you resist
        that strongly, as you¹re usually very keen on experimenting with new tools.
        I¹ve already asked the developers to make a direct link from the front page
        URL, but they may have their reasons for directing us to a newer url. I
        agree with you that it can be a cumbersome process to have more chats
        running simultaneously - and you can stay with your Wimba friends and have
        great fun without even a real need to go to TI.

        However, as the support for moving to TI2 is definitely not encouraging,
        I¹ve decided not to go for the CSCL conference in June. I feel that I am not
        yet ready for this face to face presentation, partly because the technical
        and professional level of this conference is very high, and partly because I
        need to save money so I can finally buy that Windows computer instead of
        always lacking behind as a stubborn bug testing grumpy grey leftover. So,
        instead of spending one thousand Euros (if that does it) on an expensive
        conference with travel and hotel, being at risk of postulating that we do
        have an active TI2 habit, I will buy that Windows PC!!! Just imagine how
        fun it will be to meet you in a voice chat :-)

        In the meantime, let me be your guide in TI2 whenever possible; I hope to be
        there on Sunday at noon GMT this weekend ­ unless family duties keep me
        away!

        Yours,
        Sus