Re:Help with translation into Spanish

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30 2:46 AM
      In American English a fanatic is used to describe
      someone with extreme enthusiasm for something. There
      is also the negative connotation which occurs when
      someone turns their enthusiasm fanatical, unreasonable
      devotion to a subject -- which I wasn't thinking of at
      the time of my suggestion.

      For example, here it is quite normal to say "He's a
      sports fanatic," or, in Philadelphia where the local
      baseball team is called the "Phillies", the team
      mascot is "The Phillie Phanatic", playing on the /f/
      sound (as in 'Ph'iladelphia, get the joke? :)). Sorry
      to hear this word only has the perjorative meaning in
      Spanish and Portuguese... I'll remember not to refer
      to anyone that way.
      Thanks,
      Arlyn

      From: Fernanda Rodrigues