Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Schegloff papers

  • dafne Chavez
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2003
      Dear Don, Thanks a lot for all the references, they come at the right moment, since I am working on my data. Daf

      Don Carroll <dcarroll@...> wrote:Dear Chris and Dafne,

      Here is the information I promised on Schegloff and CA's take on minimal
      units. I think his 1990 paper on cohesion might be particularly interesting.

      You might also want to look at Maria Egbert's paper of schisming in
      conversation -- just to note that it occurs (and needs to be managed) in
      f2f talk as well.

      Egbert, M. M. (1997). Schisming: The collaborative transformation from a
      single conversation to multiple conversations. Research on Language and
      Social Interaction, 30: 1-51.

      Best papers on turn construction units (TCUs):

      Sacks, H., E. Schegloff and G. Jefferson (1974). A simplest systematics
      for the organization of turntaking in conversation. Language, 50(4): 696-735.

      Goodwin, C. (1979) The interactive construction of a sentence in natural
      conversation. In G. Psathas (Ed.), Everyday language: Studies in
      ethnomethodology. (pp.97-121) New York: Irvington.

      Ford, C. & Thompson, S. (1996). Interactional units in conversation:
      syntactic, intonational, and pragmatics resources for the management of
      turns. In E. Ochs, E. Schegloff & S. Thompson (eds.), Interaction and
      grammar. (pp. 134-184). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

      Schegloff, E.A. (1996). Turn organization: One intersection of grammar
      and interaction. In Ochs, E., E. Schegloff, & S. Thompson (eds.),
      Interaction and grammar. (pp. 52-133). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

      --Don

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14, 2003
        Thnaks Don for the very helpful list of papers.
        --Elizabeth

        Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:51:20 -0700
        From: Don Carroll <dcarroll@...>
        Subject: Re: Schegloff papers