Call for papers: telecollaborative language learning

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 8:02 AM
      I'm cross-posting the following call for papers; I
      think Aiden, Michael, and Ruth (among others) might
      find this interesting.

      Subject: Call: telecollaborative language learning

      Call for Papers
      2005 volume of the AAUSC

      Title: Computer-mediated Intercultural Foreign
      Language
      Education

      Co-editors: Julie A. Belz (Penn State) and Steven L.
      Thorne
      (Penn State)
      Series editor: Sally Magnan (University of Wisconsin,
      Madison)

      Description of Volume: This volume provides a
      state-of-the-art
      overview of telecollaboration, the application of
      global
      computer
      networks to foreign (and second) language learning and
      teaching
      in
      institutionalized settings. In telecollaborative
      partnerships,
      internationally-dispersed learners in parallel
      language classes
      use
      internet communication tools such as email,
      synchronous chat,
      threaded discussion, video-conferencing, web logs
      (blogs), web
      telephony and/or video-chat in order to support social
      interaction,
      dialogue, debate, and intercultural exchange with
      expert
      speakers of
      the respective language under study. The underlying
      rationale is
      provide the members of each of the parallel language
      classes
      with
      access to and engagement with age peers who are expert
      speakers
      of
      the "foreign" language under study. In sum,
      telecollaboration is
      characterized by institutionalized computer-mediated
      intercultural
      communication for the purposes of foreign language
      learning and
      the
      development of intercultural competence.

      The remainder of the call, including contact info, is
      here:

      http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/a/jab63/2005aausccall.html
      with best, julie belz & steve thorne
      --
      Julie A. Belz
      Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics and German

      =====
      http://www.eslhome.com

      "What's past is prologue."
      -- W. Shakespeare, The Tempest