Fw: TESLCA-L Digest - 31 Mar 2003 to 1 Apr 2003 (#2003-77)

  • Maria Albers de Urriola
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2003
      Dear all,
      I just received this today and thought that this could be of our interest.
      Greetings,
      María Irene
      Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:45:03 -0500
      From: Julie Belz <jab63@...>
      Subject: Call: telecollaborative language learning

      Call for Papers
      2005 volume of the AAUSC

      Title: Computer-mediated Intercultural Foreign Language Education

      Co-editors: Julie A. Belz (Penn State) and Steven L. Thorne (Penn State)
      Series editor: Sally Magnan (University of Wisconsin, Madison)

      Description of Volume: This volume provides a state-of-the-art
      overview of telecollaboration, the application of global computer
      networks to foreign (and second) language learning and teaching in
      institutionalized settings. In telecollaborative partnerships,
      internationally-dispersed learners in parallel language classes use
      internet communication tools such as email, synchronous chat,
      threaded discussion, video-conferencing, web logs (blogs), web
      telephony and/or video-chat in order to support social interaction,
      dialogue, debate, and intercultural exchange with expert speakers of
      the respective language under study. The underlying rationale is to
      provide the members of each of the parallel language classes with
      access to and engagement with age peers who are expert speakers of
      the "foreign" language under study. In sum, telecollaboration is
      characterized by institutionalized computer-mediated intercultural
      communication for the purposes of foreign language learning and the
      development of intercultural competence.

      The remainder of the call, including contact info, is here:

      http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/a/jab63/2005aausccall.html

      with best, julie belz & steve thorne
      --
      Julie A. Belz
      Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics and German

      When you use the REPLY function to reply to messages you see
      on TESLCA-L, the reply goes to the sender, not to the whole group.
      If you want to address the whole group, address your mail to
      TESLCA-L@... or use "REPLY to ALL" (if available)

      End of TESLCA-L Digest - 31 Mar 2003 to 1 Apr 2003 (#2003-77)