Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Cooloquium in April,1st

  • dafne Chavez
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      Dearest Sus,
      As I told you last night, your April's fool page made me laugh in such a loud way that I am sure my neighboars woke up because of my crazy fit of laughter.
      I really enjoy your great sense of humor.
      Superb job!! :-))))
      Daf
      Susanne Nyrop <s.nyrop@...> wrote:Dafne says: Bravo for Webheads!

      And let me add: so say I!

      Please see my final report here:
      http://home19.inet.tele.dk/susnyrop/fool/april2003.html

      Hugs and happy April,

      Snus

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Christopher Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
        Hi Webheads,

        There has been a lot of great reflection on the colloquium from
        everyone, and I enjoyed reading your
        good ideas (lessons learned). I thought I'd throw in a few, being an
        online audience member.

        First of all, I think it is a really great idea to project the chatting
        by the remote members during the presentation.
        I had never thought of that, but it really gives the audience a sense of
        how CMC and
        online collaboration takes place. Bravo!

        Also, I wholeheartedly agree with Chris (Jones) about rehearsing
        everything together
        online at least a week before. Great idea!

        I think the Wimba voice tool is very good. I am not sure if it is better
        than the tool used
        at GLD6 (I always forget the name). I was very impressed with that audio
        tool as well.
        However, changing Internet bandwidth (due to online traffic) and local
        problems are
        beyond Wimba's control. It is amazing that it works as well as it does.
        Unfortunately, it
        can fade in and out at inconvenient moments (viz. Tere's presentation).

        With combination remote and live presentations, here are my suggestions.
        Apologies for
        any redundancies or if these steps were already taken by the live
        presenters:
        1) We need to live with the fact that there may be fade-ins/outs at
        inconvenient times
        and accept decisions by the live presenters/coordinators to bump us off.
        As backup,
        have the presentation slides (plus written or even pre-recorded
        commentary) already published online with the URLs in the handout.
        2) Explain to the audience that this problem may happen (Internet
        traffic).
        3) Set up a discussion forum with the published presentation. Perhaps
        this can
        get some interaction going after the presentation.
        4) Check in at regular times to see if the audio is back on track. Allow
        a few words
        by the presenters that got bumped (e.g. an invitation to go to the
        published Web site
        and use the discussion forum for questions)
        4) For those who got bumped, recycle the presentation in another venue
        at
        another time.

        I think the main thing to remember is even with a lot of preparation and
        rehearsal
        that the live event is different and may have unexpected problems. Those
        who
        are ringside can see the audience's reaction and are in a position to
        make
        last minute changes.

        Chris
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
          At 01:37 PM 2/04/2003 +0200, Chris wrote:
          >Hi Webheads,
          >
          >There has been a lot of great reflection on the colloquium from
          >everyone, and I enjoyed reading your
          >good ideas (lessons learned). I thought I'd throw in a few, being an
          >online audience member.
          >
          >First of all, I think it is a really great idea to project the chatting
          >by the remote members during the presentation.
          >I had never thought of that, but it really gives the audience a sense of
          >how CMC and
          >online collaboration takes place. Bravo!
          >
          >Also, I wholeheartedly agree with Chris (Jones) about rehearsing
          >everything together
          >online at least a week before. Great idea!
          >
          >I think the Wimba voice tool is very good. I am not sure if it is better
          >than the tool used
          >at GLD6 (I always forget the name).

          It's Chatterbox Chris!

          (no further comment!)