IACSEE conference

  • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hi Vance and webheads all,

      At the end of June the International Association for Citizenship, Social
      and Economics Education is holding its biannual conference in the coastal
      village of Egmond in the Netherlands. The association has members in many
      coutries in the world. The conference theme for 2003 is "Global challenges:
      Local responses".

      The organisers would be interested in a WiA presentation. I talked to them
      about the relevance of the WiA community to the conference theme. This is
      from an email message I received from Cathy Fagan:

      "If it is possible for some Europeans to present on the second topic [WiA],
      it may be that they would prefer to give a presentation as a description of
      work in progress, rather than a full paper at this time. This would also be
      very interesting to our delegates."

      I must have given her the impression that WiA is a work in progress. Well,
      perhaps it is - for ever developing. My own presentation at the conference,
      by the way, is about schools and community. I intend to describe how a
      particular local community in my region is developing into an 'education
      community'.

      Back to WiA now -
      Have a look at the Association's web pages and the conference pages in
      particular. It would be great if WiA were represented, and for me
      personally it would be greater still to meet one or more Webheads in person.
      http://www.iacsee.org/indexflash.htm

      As I am not entirely sure about how the WiA community usually arranges
      these matters of representation, I have addressed this email to Vance
      asking his advice.

      Best wishes, Arnold

    • Buthaina Othman
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
        Hi Daf, I'm in. I can join the party on Saturday or Sunday anytime after 9 GMT.
        Hugs,
        Buth
        "Dafne <dygonza@...>" <dygonza@...> wrote:Dear Webheads,

        Maria Jordano, our new, very active participant in WIA, has invited
        us to participate in the event:

        IV JORNADAS CETA "Teaching English: emotion in motion"

        April 25-27 2003 Universidad de C�rdoba

        Since it is here in Spain, Maria and I could represent Webheads being
        there physically, of course those interested in coming to Spain are
        welcome to join us here. However, we are inviting, AND counting on
        all Webheads to join us online for that event.

        The deadline for the proposal is March 1. We know that these are
        hectic times for everybody, so we wrote the following:

        Title: Webheads a Community of Practice for Language Teachers
        Professional Development in CMC

        Abstract: Summary of talk/workshop (only one paragraph of no more
        than 100 words)Language Teachers around the world are incorporating
        online components to their face to face classes to offer students
        the opportunity to communicate with speakers of the language. To
        take this challenge, teachers need to be e-literate and learn to take
        the best from the web tools available. Webheads in Action is a
        virtual Community of Practice comprising language teachers worldwide,
        with the purpose of exploring a/synchronous and web-based multimedia
        communications formats, and the best way to use them for the benefit
        of their learners. In this presentation, we will show how this
        community works with the live online participation of Webheads
        located in different countries via synchronous modes (text chat,
        voice, and webcams). Web pages product of the community collaborative
        work will be shown.
        WIA url:
        http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/papers/evonline2002/webheads.ht
        Community moderator: Vance Stevens

        The presentation could be on Saturday pm or Sunday am. It would be
        great if we are given a slot around the Webheads regular Sunday
        meeting at TI.

        Who can we count on? Join the party!!!!

        Daf

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Buthaina Al-Othman
        EFL Instructor
        ELU/Faculty of Science
        Language Center-Kuwait University

      • Rita
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
          HI, Daf dear, count me in as well, either on Sat or on Sun.
          Hugs
          Rita

          Hi Daf, I'm in. I can join the party on Saturday or Sunday anytime after
          9 GMT.
          Hugs,
          Buth
          "Dafne <dygonza@...>" <dygonza@...> wrote:Dear Webheads,

          Maria Jordano, our new, very active participant in WIA, has invited
          us to participate in the event:

          IV JORNADAS CETA "Teaching English: emotion in motion"

          April 25-27 2003 Universidad de Córdoba

[...]

          extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
            Hi Arnold,

            I have just found the conference site:
            http://www.iacsee.org/2003.htm

            And this is what we are talking about:

            Our next international conference will be held in the seaside village of Egmond aan Zee in the Netherlands from 30th June to 2nd of July, 2003. The Hotel Zuiderduin will provide the venue for the conference, which will be based around the theme of Global Challenges: Local Responses.

            ok, I will think about this (just now found the information and am passing it on to other WIA members). Incidentally, I don't find on the site what the proposal deadlines are. When will we have to respond?

            Meanwhile, I am tracking other Webheads events coming up in April here:
            http://www.geocities.com/vance_stevens/online_events.htm#april

            There are also events coming up in March; for example we have been invited to broadcast from the TESOL Conference in a special Electronic Village event, and I'll send more about that later.

            Vance

          • a.muhren@quicknet.nl
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 28, 2003
              Vance wrote:
              >I have just found the conference site:
              ><http://www.iacsee.org/2003.htm>http://www.iacsee.org/2003.htm
              [...]
              >When will we have to respond?

              I sent the organisers a message, Vance, and will pass on their information
              as soon as I have got it.
              Arnold