Friend’s Day in Argentina - Thank you Webhe ads!

  • Nelba
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2014

      Dear Webheads

      The date July 20 was the day that men had landed on the moon for the very first time in 1969. It was because of this historical mankind achievement that caused Dr. Enrique Ernesto Febbraro, a psychology/philosophy/history professor from my country, Argentina, to realize that we are all united and have all been brought together by this very special event; thus, created El Día del Amigo (Friend’s Day). Soon after, it was also officially recognized by the government, and July 20 has been the day to celebrate friendship in Argentina ever since.

      While el Día del Amigo is not a public holiday, Argentines do really care about it and take this opportunity to get together with friends. You’ll see many restaurants, bars and clubs offer special promotions that are tailored to groups. Also, since a few years ago when pretty much everyone started to have a cellphone, it is not uncommon for the cellphone network in major cities, including Buenos Aires, to collapse on this very day because of the heavy usage for greetings among friends. According to the phone companies, the traffic is highly comparable to those during Christmas day and New Year’s Eve.

      This message is to greet you all, because I will never forget that this community of practise rescued me from the difficult time when  due to my hearing loss I had to stop teaching English and "create" my self a new job in 2007. In those times, ICT was not considered in education but thanks to all I learned in this community I had the possibility to present projects to include it and get a new post at the shools where I work.

      All my gratitude to you all and very dearly to Vance Stevens, Dafne Gonzalez , Ibrahim Rustanov and Gavin Dudeney

      A big hug from Argentina.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2014
        What an interesting and endearing message, Nelba! Thank you!

        Happy Friend's Day to you too! :-)

        Hugs,  Teresa

        --
        Sent from my iPhone
      • Michael Coghlan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2014
          Thank you for this lovely message Nelba - really thoughtful.

          - Michael.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2014
            Thanks Nelba, always great to hear from you, Vicky Loras told a very similar story yesterday at iTDi MOOC, about how she was unemployed in Switzerland and was eventually guided by Ken Wilson and her online community to get back on her feet and eventually thrive to become co-owner of a language school with a growing online presence and ever-helpful PLN.

            Vance

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2014
              Dear Nelba et al.,
              Happy Dia del Amigo to all my webhead friends!
              Nina near Washington, DC