Re: Re: [baw2013] introducing the "Radica l English" group

  • flaviaruh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2014

      Hello, Tereza and dear Bawers,

      Great idea and I've just signed up.

      Wish  all lthe Radical English group  great achievements in 2014!

      Flávia Uhlmann

      The Creative English Learning

      www.creativeenglishlearning.com.br

      SP/Brazil - Bawer 2013

      Em Dom 05/01/14 17:44, Jose Antonio da Silva joseaokc@... escreveu:

      Hi Teresa,
      Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful project. I subscribed to the newsletter and to your blog. I have also downloaded the dictionary app. I just cannot get more involved right now because I have my fingers in too many pies. Thanks for sharing. It does look really interesting.
      Beijinhos
      JA

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jan 5, 2014, at 12:19, Teresa Almeida d'Eca <teresadeca@...> wrote:

      (Sorry for the cross-posting)

      Dear Webheads,

      I've been working with a small group of colleagues that came together through Judy Thompson in LinkedIn. In November 2013 we met f2f in Lydbury, England, hosted by Rita and Duncan Baker at their Language Center. However, I only met with them through Skype. And we founded the Radical English group.

      We believe in a totally different approach to teaching English, in tune with Rita's post "it’s time to take a radically different approach to teaching and learning English". Each of us has an area of expertise and we've been sparking one another to carry it to the next level. So far we're more a support group rather than a group with a single project. We spread the word about one another and promote our ventures.

      Judy (in Canada) created the EPA: English Phonetic Alphabet. She has published for a few years and is now online and has an app.

      Rita in England just published her first e-book, Brain Power. It's a very interesting read aimed at the education world, above all, at common people. Do take a look! It's on Amazon (http://amzn.to/19OFwgh).

      I just finished proofreading my e-dictionary based on a pronunciation strategy I came up with in class and out of the blue 10 years ago. It's based on bridging the L1 and the L2. I'll let you know when it comes out.

      The other members are Peggy Tharpe (California, USA), who specializes in pronunciation and accent reduction, Jennifer England (a Canadian in Spain), who's involved in projects and learning programs, and Judit Tárczy (Hungary), who uses word boards to teach vocabulary to YLs. Each of us is doing work that we enjoy, as you will see in our RE website (http://radicalenglish.com/) in the "All about us" tab. We invite you to subscribe to our newsletter and follow our blog.

      I also invite you to visit my own RE website (http://teresadeca-radicalenglish.weebly.com/) where you have more information about my project. Do read the blog and follow it. You're very welcome to leave comments.

      Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to introduce RE before the hectic days of the EVO workshops begin. Enjoy! :-)

      Hugs,  Teresa

    • Angela Porime
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2014
        Dear webheads
        Please help me with some information about some words and expressions I have not found in dictionaries.For instance the expression"with a flop".Where can I find an explanation in this form?
        Angela from Romania

        În Luni, 6 Ianuarie 2014 13:04:40, "flaviaruh@..." <flaviaruh@...> a scris:

[...]

      • Peggy George
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2014
          Hi Angela,
          I have never heard of that expression (U.S.). Could you possibly give us a sentence where you heard it? I have heard of this. "I don't give a flip." In that sentence "give a flip" means I really don't care. Could it possibly be that?

          Good luck and I'll look forward to learning more about your expression.

          Peggy George, Phoenix, AZ, USA

          On Jan 27, 2014, at 9:37 AM, Angela Porime wrote:

          Dear webheads
          Please help me with some information about some words and expressions I have not found in dictionaries.For instance the expression"with a flop".Where can I find an explanation in this form?
          Angela from Romania

        • Colleen Maher
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2014
            Maybe you meant "was a flop"
            i.e. The theater show was a flop.(people did not enjoy it).

            :)

            --
            Colleen Maher, MS Ed.
            ELL Teacher, HES

            NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of the Mount Pleasant Central Schools and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.
          • Holly Dilatush
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2014
              Re:  For instance the expression"with a flop".Where can I find an explanation in this form?
              --
              Context is key!

              For example:

              I landed with a flop on the couch and exclaimed,  "What a day!"

              I have used this expression many a time!

              I also searched   "with a flop" (using quotation marks) on Google and found these usages.

              Searching an exact phrase, in quotation marks, on Google, is a handy, quick way to resolve a lot of these challenges.

              [Also fun to check comparison phrases, particularly prepositional phrases (for example, "look for" or/and "look to")]

              Hope this is helpful,
              Holly

              Dear webheads
              Please help me with some information about some words and expressions I have not found in dictionaries.For instance the expression"with a flop".Where can I find an explanation in this form?
              Angela from Romania

              --
              "Try.  Trust.  Treasure."
              Holly (Dilatush)