fototeca

  • Susana Canelo
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2013
      Dear webheads:

      Maybe some of you could help me. I syncronized my Ipad with my PC. I don't know what I did but the IPad "took" 3,500 photos from my PC.
      I haven't got enough memory but I can't delete the photos. I'm told they're in a "fototeca", a sort of photolibrary" and there's no way to delete them.
      I tried to connect the Ipad again through Itunes but I can't find a way to delete the photos.
      I've decided to reset it, but I can't.

      Thanks in advance.
      Susana.

      Enviado desde mi iPad
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2013
        Hi Susana,

        You came to the right place.  i'm sure someone on this list can answer this question. I can't unfortunately, but i can commiserate.  The auto synch on my iPhone drives me nuts.  I can delete photos there, but either one by one, or all at one go. There is no file management.  And when it synched with my PC address book it took hundreds of YahooGroup accept-sub notices and made a contact for each one.  Now when I scroll through my addresses, at certain places I have to scroll through these to find what I want.  I can delete these contacts one by one, four taps each.  Maybe if I'm stuck in a long queue I might work on it.

        If you are seeking solace I can recommend some excellent reading.  First of all, the autobiography of Steve Jobs is fascinating and well-written.  It covers quite well the mind-set that went into the perfection that is Apple, and also the annoying control it imposes.

        Another excellent book which you can download free and read on your iPad, or maybe even have it read to you, is The Future of the Internet and How to Stop it by Jonathan Zittrain (2008), http://futureoftheinternet.org/

        In this book, Zittrain discusses opposing forces online, the generative and appliance apps, and what the Internet is as opposed to the Web.  The generative Web is the one where users are able to adapt it to their purposes because it is free and unfettered, with the down side being that those who wish to generate spam, malware, or simply bad code are also able to exploit the same lack of constraint.  A growing sector of the Internet economy is moving toward appliance approaches where content is still on the Internet but not on the Web, so that a Google search of music on the Web, for example, will not penetrate the iTunes store, which is on the Internet but not the Web.  The appliance approach is gaining favor with producers who enjoy restored control over content, and with consumers who enjoy computing with greater security, but at risk of losing the generative nature of the what many see to be Web's greatest affordance.  Zittrain explains the problem and offers solutions whereby the two sides might meet to everyone's advantage.

        Unfortunately the two sides clash on iPads and iPhones. But next time you're in a long queue, you now have a more enjoyable option to tediously deleting 3500 photos one by one from your iPad.

        Good luck,

        Vance

        On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Susana Canelo <susana_canelo@...> wrote:

        Dear webheads:

        Maybe some of you could help me. I syncronized my Ipad with my PC. I don't know what I did but the IPad "took" 3,500 photos from my PC.
        I haven't got enough memory but I can't delete the photos. I'm told they're in a "fototeca", a sort of photolibrary" and there's no way to delete them.
        I tried to connect the Ipad again through Itunes but I can't find a way to delete the photos.
        I've decided to reset it, but I can't.

        Thanks in advance.
        Susana.

        Enviado desde mi iPad

      • eannegrenoble
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2013

           Not very helpful -but I've always avoided synching my ipad/phone or other eye because it doesn't seem logical to take up space on two pieces of equipment.

          As a result - I've just spent HOURS downloading the photos from my iphone that I wanted to put on my computer. (hours because once loaded onto the computer directly by cable without using itunes - they arrive every which way! not even systematically upside down!)

          BTW - I do put them "in the cloud" but can't get them back down until I get a windows 8!

          ANYWAYS  you're saying that you can't access the photos (transferred without your "permission") on your ipad to delete them, Right?

          I keep reading and reading the instruction manual and discussion groups, and just can't get my head around this Photo Stream/Photo Roll with albums in both !

          I'll be following the discussion!

          Glad you brought it up!